holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2010 update*

Thread in 'Discussion' started by deepdorp, 28 Dec 2006.

1. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

1. Animal Crossing City Folk
    2. A keychain sized rubik's cube.
    3-4.Two T-shirts (One with Captain Falcon's Helmet that says, "So me yo moves!" and one with a Phoenix Wright Outline that says "Attorney at LOL")

My family didn't want to spend a lot of money this Christmas. I think it was a good decision.

Sadly nothing Tetris related. I don't think my family knows just how much I love Tetris.

2. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

#2 sux =( Sorry, maybe it's just because this is from a (former) speedcuber's perspective. Not only do keychain cubes turn horribly, but I can't really think of many other uses for them.
    #3-4 is friggin awesome though.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

This will eat your time, and it will plateau your Tetris progress.

(Do you have WFC? Want to trade friend codes? PM me.)

4. Muf

Muf

Unless you only play for about 5-15 minutes once or twice a day, which is what I used to do with Wild World. The game's pretty demanding though, and neglecting it has annoying in-game results, so eventually I stopped playing altogether.

5. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

- $50 gift card for GameStop (spent on Soul Calibur 4)
    - $50 gift card for Fry's (spent on 1600 MS Points and 3rd-party 360 con)
    - $50 cash (spent on DJ MAX Bull S--I mean, Black Square)
    - 3-month XBL membership
    - A sweater
    - A bunch of Starbucks gift cards, which is funny, because I barely go to Starbucks.

6. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

DDR Kirby: I'm a speedcuber too, and I still quite enjoy the cube. It was stiff when I first got it, but after a day or two of using it, it turns like any other cube. The only think I dislike about it is the actual keychain itself, though I might just use some pliers to take it off and put on a removable one.

Tepples: I'm having some trouble getting online in City Folk, but I'll PM when I get my friend code. I also have something NES related to ask you if that's okay.

7. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

Does "any other cube" mean it's comparable to a regular store-bought cube, or did you actually manage to get it into a condition similar to a lubricated speedcube. Because if it's the latter, that would be unheard of. o_o

8. Ai

Ai

Nothing Tetris related unfortunately. I received 3 books and a few gift cards which i haven't used yet. I bought a PC a few months ago and I'm also planning on importing Ketsui Death Label and Space Bubble Bobble for DS soon.

With so many of you speedcubing I finally bought myself a Rubik's cube Saturday. If anyone has interesting links for beginners please do share them and thanks in advance! ^^

This explains your recent activity in the TGM records thread. ^^ I somehow missed this. So you now own every TGM game!

9. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

I'm missing ACE, though that's the least exciting to own. I'd probably sooner buy the TGM1 OST that I also don't have.

10. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

Blah, I haven't put my XBL subscription to good use. No one plays CoD4 or Soul Calibur 4 anymore, it seems.

I should've not bought SC4, and instead got 4000 MS points, STHD, Super Puzzle Fighter II THDR, and Castle Crashers.

11. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

really? who else is there besides me and kasumi? and what are your guys times? we don't need a records topic for this do we? xD

my best average is 17.161, nonrolling. it was pretty insane.

as for beginners, I would recommend something like Leyan Lo's beginner solution. I particularly like that one because it provides a base off of which you can expand into full Fridrich.

I'm "retired" from speedcubing but if you have any questions or need any advice feel free to ask--I'd love to help ^^;

12. Ai

Ai

Thanks for your help DDRKirby(ISQ) and insane skills indeed! I'll look into it and see if can solve it for the first time this weekend. I hope to do it within 1 minute in the near future.

Meroigo and caffeine I know for sure, but I don't think they're that good. And there are probably other members.

13. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

Have you tried the Heise method before? It looks like an interesting approach, but I don't have a cube to try it on...

14. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

No, I haven't heard of that one before (though I have heard Ryan Heise's name before somewhere). I'm not as into the speedcubing "scene" as some others are nowadays. Seems like an interesting and rather intuitive (in execution, but maybe not in terms of conception) method. Before I learned Fridrich and got seriously into speedcubing I used to know an intuitive method based off of the idea of a "swap point". I'm sure if I looked I could find descriptions of it (or something close to it) online. I still use that method whenever I'm trying to solve the cube into patterns.

Fridrich is probably the way you want to go if you want to get fast. The reasonable alternatives I can think of (reasonable meaning comparable in speed) are Petrus (if you want to be different), MGLS (if you want to be REALLY different), ZBLL (if you want to spend more effort but be a little bit faster), and VH (which I don't really know much about).

Taking it down to 1 minute is fairly easy once you know what you're doing. Getting it down to 30 seconds or so takes some hard work...but the 20-second barrier takes more time than everything that came before.

15. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

Apparently I'm a little late, but when you're on 56k, you don't feel like waiting for pages to load. The only thing I got up untill the day before yesterday was Guitar Hero: World Tour with the guitar and a cheap ass box of chocolates. Then my wife ran into her grandfather the other day (who is trying to buy his way back into the family, long story). He said he heard about how we didn't have the cash to get anything for each other and gave us each a $100 gift card for Wal-Mart. So we also wound up gettting Rock Band 2 band package. Not too bad considering we didn't think we coould get anything.

Seems like everyone did pretty well.

16. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

Ryan Heise is actually a member of this forum. He created the Tesselate web based Tetramino game. He also has a nice virtual rubik's cube app on his website.

DDRKirby, you're FAR beyond me. I can usually solve it at around a minute, but my best time is only 52 seconds. As for the keychain sized rubik's cube, it actually turns as well as a standard official rubik's cube. I haven't looked into the really good speed cubes, but I might be getting one sometime later this month. I'll let you know how it compares then. Then again, I'm not as fast as you so it would probably bother you more either way.

As for my method? I don't even know. I know I use different algorithms from about three different websites, because I could never find just one that I understood the entire method from a single site. It's a layer based solving method though. White Cross, corners, second layer, last layer. There's probably a name for it. When I get my faster cube I might try to ditch this method and learn something better. Also, I do think a records thread might be called for. It does seem like a lot of Tetris Players are into rubik's cube. Gangstafish also does it, if I remember correctly.

17. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

lubricant, my friend. lubricant. I myself use SNAP. silicone spray is what most cubers use, you can find it pretty easily.

here's a vid of me. yay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byVEpAUdZCs

i feel like we've derailed this topic enough, let's put anything further about this in another topic, if we must.

[ontopic]
    I got lots and lots of Sanrio merchandise whee~ ^^.
    I got a Hercules DJ Control mp3 so I can fiddle around with bedroom DJing without actually being serious about it at all.
    I got a digital picture frame, which makes sense because all I ever put in picture frames are anime/etc pictures from my computer anyways.
    my stick is supposed to come in at some point but it hasn't yet.
    I got Rubik's World (DS) but i haven't opened, nor heard anything about it so I have no idea how it is.
    Also Kirby Super Star Ultra which I plan on playing, probably after I get around to playing through Amazing Mirror.

18. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2008 update*

22.5, avg of 12 -2

cross(sometimes extended) -> f2l -> coll ->pll

Fridrich is so much better but i prefer only having to learn 47~ last layer algorithms instead of 110~

No tetris related l00t for me [​IMG] OMG NO LOOT WATSOEVER

19. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2009 update*

another round of holiday gifts: what did everyone get for 2009?

for me it was some tetris soap:

[​IMG]

i like to reserve this thread for mostly tetris related gifted items but any cool gifts that you would like to share are also welcome.

happy holidays!
    -steve

20. Re: holiday loot-- what'd you get? *2009 update*

My brother got me a copy of Tengen Tetris! I tried playing co-op alone for a little bit, but it is rather unwieldy with NES controllers, haha. I also played a little bit of the standard single player already as well. I'll have to mess around with some wacky twists later, haha.