Help me! I'm living in nightmare..

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Amnesia, 23 Oct 2006.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I decided to make this topic because I think I'm not alone to have this probleme, maybe mfm, or other Gm1 player have the same situation..

I don't understand why for more than 6 month I havn't succeded to improve my record, on T.A. DEATH and Master mode, maybe there is a psycological blocking or maybe my brain can't improve more..That could mean not everybody can become a Master..

I'd thunk the joystick could bring me the little plus what I'd needed, but nothing..

After 6 month of hard training at lv 300 or 400, I don't succed being quiet at this speed..

Please if you can help me because for few days I've only thunk to stop tgm..

I wish the two Master, matt_hatter83 and jagorochi specify if they have crossed a similar situation around lv 300-400 at T.A. DEATH, or if they increased constantly...

Maybe improving at tgm is not linear, if jago or matt comfirm I could be reassured..

2. I'd recommend 2 simple things:

1. Make sure you are well rested.

2. Make sure you are truly pushing yourself.

For 1, on a technical level your mind adapts best when it is well rested. If you're anything like me, it's all too easy to trim your nightly sleep down to 6 hours. I can live comfortably like that... But I certainly can't push the limits of my skill in Tetris with that condition.

For 2, I mean YOU are pushing yourself, not the game. It's meaningless that you're playing a challenging game mode unless you're trying very hard to succeed. Struggle to be more alert... more quick to analyse the screen... EVERY GAME. "Zombie practice" will get you nowhere. If you need a pause during trainning, reflect on why you lost, and change something you do to prevent the same death.

At least in my case, those are what normally hold me back.

3. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

also, try caffeine. my playing improves dramatically with a couple cups of coffee.

i think visualization is important too. i spend a decent amount of "dead mind time" (driving, etc) conceiving of tetris scenarios in my head.

and i do not think that tetris skills (any, TGM or otherwise) develop in linear fashion. Certain lightbulb moments in tetris strategy make for leaping advancements .... and they can be few and far between... lots of plateaus between improvements.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Do you think it's a good idea to practice hardly at lvl 400 ? With a save..

5. mat

mat

i don't really have time to get into this right now, but yes--i used the hell out of a 400 save to get used to playing the speed--getting to 600 that way and such (jago is going to say not to lock the pieces once you hit 400, but i do not agree and lock every piece)

i played getting to 3-400 for six months--400 speed is significantly faster than 300, so i would really reccommend just getting used to the speed, getting used to stacking/clearing efficiently (not perfectly). i haven't gotten 500 in about a month, either (although i have been doing a lot of master work...). i dunno.

6. Yeah. Be alert. Don't play early in the morning, and use performance-enhancing drugs like glucose and caffeine to play better. Nicholas's screenname is more than for show...

7. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

[​IMG]
    Ohh..so Maybe it's not a good idea to practice at 2 or 3 o clock in night after 1 or 2 junks...? RRaah [​IMG]

In fact I must try cocaine to reach "m" rank.. [​IMG]

Thank you matt_hatter(I've seen your photo! You seem sympatic!), I'm a few reassured, next week in france there is vacancy, it's my last chance, I return in my home and I will can play in good condition on 8 days without interruption!!

I just want to increase my score at 450 MINIMUM ( [​IMG] just 14 little points)...Or I give up..

Thank you all for your device and support..

PS: we should speak later about the listening of tetriminos MATT_hatter, I think I know exactely why Jago say that:

He is right but you are the proof we can reach 500 without that..

8. "performance-enhancing drugs like glucose and caffeine to play better." i never said that. [​IMG]

i do recommend daily vitamins, healthy meals, and plenty of liquids. [​IMG]

9. Caffeinated beverages tend to give me indigestion, so I'm probably biased, but I'm pretty sure being well rested is strictly better than a caffeinated boost. <a href="http://caffeineweb.com/?p=15">lol</a>.

I've also never used savestates, but I've done similar things with the Heboris trainer. They both have their own advantages (randomness vs pracitcing specific moves).

10. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

hmm...Very interesting...

I think I must begin practice on Heboris, a lot of people here practice on it, that seems good..What can we find on heboris better than TGM2+ ? for interesting training ?

11. q

And I think you can get the eqivalent of the M-roll but the Practice screen is clunky and it's hard to get the settings to where you want them to be...

12. When it comes to staffroll training, the best by far is <a href="http://www.the-shell.net/novanova.html">Novanova</a>.

And Amnesia, the best thing I like to do in Heboris (with the unofficial expansion) is play the practice mode. You can set the speed to Death 400 levels and practice directly... with random pieces instead of the pre-determined savestate pieces you'd get in emulated TAP.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Whoa, it's not amazing that you become strong with this kind of practice..

I rarely dream about tetris..But this night I dreamt I reached 500..

And I've stopped junks for a few days in order to be at my maximum the next week..

14. K

K

Hi Amnesia,

you'll find the link here for heboris + expansion here :

http://tetrisconcept.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255

i've downloaded this game since last week, it work very well now since the old last time i've tried it.

you should try to improve your skill with this app.

15. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Perfect!! THANK YOU THANK YOU MASTER !!

Just for my vacancy..

A U.S player has re-contacted me :

He has reached lv. 400 recently..

16. mfm005

mfm005 Unregistered

17. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I've begun my hard training, off course I follow the advices given by colour_thief and other's..Good sleep, good healthy, hard coffee, etc...

3 hours on T.A. DEATH : approximately 50 tries and only 4 where I've succeeded to reach ~320 [​IMG]

I feel that my end is not far..It's finish..

Off course I'll continue to practice all the week, I'll try to reach S9..But I don't believe it any more..

18. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

[​IMG]
    OOuff...

I finally succeeded to improve my record..T.A. DEATH : lv. 440

...in 3min19..

Now I know I can do it with a big part of luck..

19. K

K

wow !

people are starting to become stronger this time around !

c'mon you're so close to the lvl500 ! [​IMG]

20. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Yes thanks for your support Jago, but I've a little problem of time, 3min19 for 440, that will make hmm... 3min25 at ~460...Only ~92% of the speed I need to become a Master..

I can reach lv 100 in 46 sec..But I can't reach lv 300 under 2min [​IMG]
    I only make ~2min15..

Can you tell me the differents sectiontimes you recommend at lv 100, 200, 300 and 400..