Hello, W

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Mederic, 17 Sep 2010.

1. As I see everyone recommending CRTs for TGM, but finding them hard to find, I did just stumble across this:
    http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade...lls-gardner-26-lcd-arcade-monitor-9000-series

It seems like it drops to the 15KHz I see people mention (Though to be honest I'm not sure what it means...I know what 60Hz is as far as my refresh rate, but not the 15 as far as it goes with arcade machines, happy to take any advice on that though).

The school semester is starting to suck so my ability to do any hard searching is going to start dwindling till the end of the semester, but until then any information is always appreciated. I still maintain my promise to send pictures as I start creating this thing xD

Side note: ...I REALLY like the low profile slim design of the LCDs, and to be honest I would like to avoid going to a CRT as most outweigh me xD But if it will degrade the quality of my image I fully intend to go with the CRT...just hoping for a better alternative!

2. It's not so much the quality of the image (although it will suffer badly because of the scaling done) but also the input lag. Since an LCD can't actually display at anything other than its native resolution, everything has to be upscaled to the correct resolution. The chip that does this tends to suck and introduces a few frames of lag. Honestly though, I really really think you're just wasting money at that point. You're gonna pay about $400 to get a new 29inch arcade 15KHz CRT or obscene amounts of money to get an LCD that syncs to 15KHz and you can probably get a candy cabinet for under $700 which comes prebuilt with an amazing monitor, speakers, and control setup. They're really easy to open up and replace parts in as well.

The 15KHz refers to the scan rate. 240 lines scanned 60 times per second is 14400Hz. If you have a 480p monitor, that's 480 lines (plus change) scanned 60 times per second, meaning you have 28800Hz.

Seriously, arcade LCDs look terrible! Don't bother!

3. Blargh, and I saw that commin' too. Just looked up candy cab, lots of images for that...and I like how they look...just not the colors...hrm...easy to change parts eh? *debates looking for a really nice plastic paint*

I really do want to build my own, but the idea or something much more authentic pulls at my OCD strings >->

4. Well, I suggest that you take a look at this page. It lists almost every candy cab in existence and it has pictures as well. I bet you'll actually find something you like in there somewhere. Standard cabinets are the Astro/Blast/Net City, Impress, Windy/Windy 2, and the Namco Cyberlead. Others work just as well though, too. I personally don't like the cabinets which have big covers over their monitors because they tend to be tilted back at a crazy angle, but none of the above cabinets have those problems.

5. PAY DIRT!

Just found this: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=89541.0 who's first post has alink to an australian forum (registration needed) With a guy who has a diagram (front and side profile) of a candy cab...and it's designed for a 27" CRT, this is going to be most indeedily epic

6. [​IMG]

There's a 122 degree angle from control base to screen with that one, not sure what -too- angled is, but I don't think that is TOO bad...if it is it shouldn't be too hard to tilt it up a little I don't think

Last edited: 23 Sep 2010
  7. Eh, still sounds to me like you want a woodworking project more than you want an arcade game. Look how shiny and round these things are! :D How could you refuse?

[​IMG]

8. Reason 1: Finding those in the US in any kind of decent condition is impossible.

Reason 2: Finding those at a decent price outside the US is impossible.

Reason 3: Wood can be made to look JUST as shiny and rounded edged as any of those.

Reason 4: Fulfills my wish to build my own cabinet and feel like I get more out of it.

HOWEVER!

Thank you for that image, definitely will help in the building process ^-^