Garbage in Shirase/Sudden Ti

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 10 Dec 2008.

1. I've recently taken it upon myself to figure out how exactly shirase's rising garbage works. You slackers totally could have done this yourselves ages ago... I just carefully observed public videos to work it out, which anyone can do. Anyhow, I've wikified the rules. I won't bother rewriting it in here, so go read that and come back.

Back? Ok.

So how is texmaster different? When you clear lines, it doesn't add to the counter for the piece that cleared lines. So in Shirase you get net effects of:

1 (no lines)
    0 (single)
    -1 (double)
    -2 (triple)
    -3 (tetris)

And in Sudden Ti you get net effects of:

1 (no lines)
    -1 (single)
    -2 (double)
    -3 (triple)
    -4 (tetris)

The difference is quite dramatic. In Shirase if you play 10 pieces with 4 singles or 2 doubles or a tetris, it's all the same and the counter increases by 6. In Sudden Ti if you get 4 singles the counter increases by 2, and if you get a tetris it increases by 5. So if you're uber it'll be only slightly easier than Shirase, and if you get a lot of singles it'll be actually quite significantly less agressive.

That's not all... In Sudden Ti if you clear lines while the counter is 0, the counter will become negative. This comes up much less often, but it still contributes to making it easier.

So what's the practical end result? In Digital's recent Sudden Ti S13 play, he made a mistake halfway through section 800 that he never recovered from. He was given 6 rows of garbage from then on, and Shirase would have gave him 10. He most definitely would have topped out with authentic garbage rising.

I just want to add that I have huge respect for Digital's accomplishment. Seriously dude I would sell my soul for your speed!! Don't hurt me... [​IMG] I just want it to be clear that Sudden Ti is significantly different from Shirase. Hopefully with this thread we'll get better awareness and maybe even a bug fix (or two... since there's 2 seperate bugs here).

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

that's nice work ct. finally someone sat down and figured it out.

it's interesting to see that Digital would have topped out in Shirase if he'd played the same way, but of course i don't want to take away from his accomplishment. i definitely believe that if he was good enough on a stick he could reach 1300 on a Ti machine. i think there's also something to be said for only playing as well as you have to to reach a goal. when you've played a game a lot you can get into a rhythm and just do what the game is asking of you. i think we're all capable of doing a little better than what a game forces on us, but it's hard to get motivated enough to go above and beyond.

3. ryanheise

ryanheise Unregistered

Thanks for figuring this out definitively. I have put these numbers into my Shirase clone.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

5. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Yeah, I've heard from more than a couple of people about how Sudden Ti's garbage is easier. Anyhow, just to throw a thought in there to stir up some controversy, an increase in garbage wouldn't necessarily have meant that I would have topped out. There are other variables at play and I could have switched focus and very much played something entirely different. The only thing we can really conclude is maybe...maybe not. [​IMG]