Garbage delay in 2-player Dr. Mario

Thread in 'Other games' started by paul, 17 Oct 2008.

1. this is part of gameplay. the damage of garbage which messes up your field and the time you lose to play while your opponent plays.

2. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Maybe if I cleared doubles fast enough, you'd lose without even getting to do anything. [​IMG]

3. i wonder if its possible...maybe there is something implemented to stop that. i havent experienced it in over 1000 games though.

4. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

I strongly suspect nothing was done to prevent anyone from combo locking the opponent in Dr. Mario.

However, i suspect this is not as easy to accomplish as it seems, due to the number of pieces and careful layouts required to set up combos, even with firm drop.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Split.

Dr. Mario on NES and Super NES had only soft drop. In that environment, I could send garbage from virus clears twice in a row often, and thrice rarely. And I had to learn to do this to prevent the "Red Virus" CPU opponent in Tetris & Dr. Mario from abusing its ability to perform no-delay 0.5G DAS through inhuman tap-tap-tap. But I'd have to play worldwide a bit more to see if I can keep it up in Online Rx or whether there's a limit on received garbage rounds per piece.

6. Zaphod77

it's posibel to set up many consecutive combos in advance. there's no doubt about that.

The real question is is it possible to set up a combo only with the pieces you got after starting the first combo?

I suspect this is incredibly difficult.

7. tepples

In theory, all it requires is the ability to drop 3 pieces per garbage cycle (peaking near 60 PPM) and to keep a red-yellow, red-blue, and yellow-blue stack going. With 3 previews and hard drop, it should be a lot easier in Online Rx than in the 6502-based iterations. I just need to get good at Dr. Mario again to test it out.

8. Zaphod77

Well, each combo removes 8 half pieces, so you have to drop FOUR pieces per garbage cycle. not three.

9. tepples

Unlike in Tetris, the Dr. Mario field never starts empty. The goal is to remove all the floating blocks called "viruses". If you do so, you win even if the other player doesn't top out. If I kill two viruses with each set of three pieces, I also make progress toward the goal.