Fastest Player?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 22 Mar 2006.

1. Maybe coz you need space to have a piano lol

2. Well, salary in japan are high and most youngsters live with their parents so all the cash can go in video games.

When you've been playing only shoot em ups for 10 years, you don't loose easily when you try a knew one [​IMG] and at 50 yens a credit, it's not so expensive when you can virtually spend 200k yens a month lol

3. There are a few things happening on a mechanical level that makes this possible:

Collision is not pixel perfect. The player ship typically has a very small vulnerable area (usually called a "hitbox") that is much smaller than the graphic. It's not uncommon for a ship to have 1 single vulnerable pixel! Furthermore, bullets also have a hitbox smaller than the graphic, though typically not quite so drastic.

This makes the game feel more intense like you're always on the edge of death. More than that, though, it helps you see things in your peripheral vision. In the end, though the video looks insane, it's not as insane as it appears.

And I'm not saying the shmup equivalent of "OMG the pieces don't stick when they hit the botton I could do that"... I still have huge respect for the players. It just looks more impossible than it really is when you don't know the conventions of the genre.

4. Benami's (Konami's rythm game branch) games and real instrument are different. In <insert your favorite rythm game here>, you press a button when an indicator reaches a line, whereas you read a score and interpret them with real instruments. So, a good player may have the right dexterity to play a real instrument (I'm thinking about Guitar Hero and Drummania), but they lack the "read the score" part of mind.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

What is a Beatmania/PnM note chart if not a partial score? Play Keyboard Mania and tell me with a straight face that you're not reading a score of sorts.

6. You can actually get music making programs that will display the music a bit like that, except it will display it moving sideways...

7. Also there are freeware programs out there where you can practise avoiding famous bullet patterns.. like BulletGBA

8. Sure, but playing music is not only transcripting notes but, most important part, transcripting feelings. Which is a lot different.

You got two guys playing the same sheet, perfectly, with no mistakes.

But listening to one will be astonishingly boring while listening to the other will hypnotise you.

If both of them played the same sheet perfectly on a music game, there would be no difference [​IMG]

9. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Do you know Morimoto?

He is Japan and he is the first and the best "tool assisted time attacker" of the world..

Since my last post about fake I've thought about this and it's right :

They have tgm2 since 2000 and us since 2005..

But I believe in this super player only at 97%..I want to see with my eyes..

It's so easy to make a TAS with all support..

10. There has been a TAS of TAP released widely. It's not very interesting to watch, but compared to the real videos it doesn't play very human-like at all. Death 999 in 4:32. [​IMG]

11. Frankly.. I don't find tool assisted replays interesting to watch at all, it's like filming yourself walking around a running track and then speed up the movie and say you did it faster than anyone in the world.

There's no real skill involved, just patience.

12. "it's like filming yourself walking around a running track and then speed up the movie and say you did it faster than anyone in the world. " this is a bad analogy because tool assisted speed runs don't edit video in anyway-- anything done in a TAS can really be done in the game.

to me, a speed run is to a play as a TAS is to a movie. like play actors, movie actors are talented, but in a different way. i think TASs can be really interesting to watch in that they bring out a lot of glitches and to-the-frame details a live player can't detect. i watch a speed run the way i would an olympic event and a TAS the way i would a movie. they're both entertaining.

btw, that tap TAS isn't much of a TAS if you ask me. looked like it was just done in slow-mo. i bet t.a. death could go sub-four minutes if done correctly.

13. Of course I know morimoto, and I also know biskwit on whose site morimoto first put his vids.

Here is what you can read on the home page:

"These are movies of classic console games being played extraordinarily, using an emulator as a tool to overcome human limitations such as skill and reflex."

As I said, when they use tricks, they tell it (the fact is that morimoto's first vids of super mario bros and megaman spread really fastly on the web without refering to the site where they were from and many people thought it was just a guy playing on his nes)

14. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

My favorite is megaman 2 in 28min..After viewed it, I practiced hardly (I thought it was real) and I can make 37min on the nes..

15. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

I think slowing down the videos to record is just plain lame. Why show the world what you can do when the game is dumbed down. I think that only people with something great to show whould post their videos.

16. Well the superplay recorded with emulator tricks mainly shows things hard as hell when not impossible to do on a normal system(for instance, there is a zelda 3 video where the guy walks through the walls using a programmation bug: if you press left AND right together, link does this. impossible on a super nes)

17. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Impossible on Super NES? Hardly. If you wire the appropriate pin of a Power Pad (NES dance mat) to the Super NES's controller input, you can press Left+Right.

18. Not really, they're slowing down the gameplay and then play it at normal speed when they're done recording.

Walking is slowed down running (you can even try to look like you're running if you want to) and then play the video at "normal speed".

Ok, the analogy is not great.. but the point remains.

19. Yeah, and finish the game in three minutes with an accessorie that you created yourself.

That's what I said. Impossible [​IMG]

20. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

Well, its still cheating to make a special button to glitch the game...