Dreamcast Sega Tetris options

Thread in 'Discussion' started by davyk, 16 Nov 2012.

1. Was just wondering if anyone could explain the option mode in this game as it isn't in English - there seems to be a difficulty level select that has 4 settings. I have figured out 3 of them - Normal, Hard and a mode that sticks the next two pieces together every time you clear any line(s). However I can't figure out what the 4th mode is.

ALso there is a toggle ON/OFF in the options screen that I can't figure out and there is one other option that might be just stereo/mono select but I can't be sure.

Would be really grateful if anyone could help!!!!

2. Hahaha, there is a way to play single player with the Joint piece item? I didn't know that.

I'll have to pop it in later and check things out. :)

3. Yeah - go to the first option in the options menu (has the text LEVEL beside some Japanese) - press A to change the value. Default is normal, first press gives you hard mode (starts off pretty fast) - and the high score table will show "Hard Mode" (you have to sit thorugh the demo to see that), second press gives you the weird sticky mode!! It has a separate high score table too - but the mode description isn't translated!

No idea what the next mode does - the high score table is labelled Normal - think it might be an easy mode because I THINK it's easier but that could be just my imagination!!!.

pressing A again brings you back to Normal.

4. Here is what I got:

Marathon Mode Level: Normal - Hard - Double Marathon - Easy
    Vs. Mode Rounds: 1 - 3 - 5
    BGM (Sound Test)
    Sound: Stereo - Mono
    Rumble Pack: Off - On
    Load

(*Someone who knows Japanese please give better context on what "ひたすら" is supposed to mean in this context? The dictionary says "earnestly," which I figures kind of fits with challenging the game alone or something? I also know of a Hitasura Mode in Pop'n Music, which in that case was analogous to Nonstop Mode or the like.)

Last edited: 24 Nov 2012
  5. brilliant......many thanks....would hate to think i was missing out on a mode!!!

On easy I don't think it lets you record high scores...

6. Cool, makes sense. It's neat to learn about this Joint piece thing -- I thought the 1P mode selection was just a straight-up difficulty setting and didn't mess with it much. Thanks a bunch for bringing it to light! :)

7. No probs.(thanks again for the translation)

I reckon getting a double Tetris would be pretty satisfying!!!!!

8. I think you can't fit two I's end-to-end, -- there are only three spaces on either side of the I-piece in the preview -- but a six- or seven- liner would be pretty slick. :)

9. Dunno the context, but "analogous to Nonstop Mode or the like" is the right answer.

10. Ok, so probably Marathon or something? It's the name of the single player mode in this game.

11. Muf

Muf

I don't know about the 1P mode, but in versus mode you can stick two I-pieces together to clear a "deluxe" tetris.

12. "Deluxe" is the message for anything over four lines. It sends two attacks at once. I thought you couldn't stick two I's end-to-end because of the well-width, but I could be off on that.

13. I'm playing it with the arcade stick - don't fancy tackling it with the default controller as the dpad leaves a lot to be desired....

I have some issues getting lines to rotate once the pit starts to fill up though - think there's a delay before control kicks in and it can be off-putting when the pressure is on.

Pity there is no hard drop but then the gravity cranks up quite quickly so I guess there isn't much need for it after a while (a least for someone with my skill level!)

Last edited: 24 Nov 2012
  14. Do you have your arcade stick set to 4-way? :)

RE: Handling the I-piece: Consider its rotation: [​IMG] You need two open cells below the 3rd block in order for it to rotate. A 2x2 or stairs pattern on the right will work. On the left, a 3x2 will provide the necessary open space. If you're trying to rotate into another space, just remember to line up the 3rd block with the space below before rotating.

RE: "delay before control kicks in": Entry delay maybe? If so, that's definitely there to help you. You can hold left/right before the next piece enters to prepare movement autorepeat.

15. I'm using the Sega first party DC arcade stick with this - no option for 4 way - but i don't find that a problem (at least , I don't THINK I do!!). I really like this stick - for the price - I find it really responsive - especially the stick. Maybe i'm having issues with the buttons re rotation. I tried it with the standard controller but the dpad really is too unresponsive for a game like this - you have to press down too hard and you would end up with a pretty sore or calloused thumb if you kept that up!! It's a real pity Sega couldn't have just put the Saturn d-pad onto the DC controller as it was gorgeous to use.

Being honest though - I think it's a case of me not understanding the rotation scheme properly more than the entry delay. The entry delay is a must in this game given how quickly gravity climbs.

I find that the autorepeat is so effective in this game that I find it hard to control -pieces really fly over the to side of the pit quite quickly upon entry so much so that I find it hard to accurately locate pieces - say one column in.

The lock delay is hard to read too - sometimes I feel I have enough time to place a piece and other times I don't. I know it is me though - not the game.

I quite like the bonuses in the 1 player - the 100,000pt bonus for 3 tetrises (3 crowns in the little slot machine meter) - is a reward worth taking a risk for - though once i get up a few levels I rarely have time to think about things like that!!

Last edited: 25 Nov 2012
  16. It's a bit nicer with a 4-way guide. Since the game doesn't allow diagonal dropping, it can sometimes be a bit squirrelly if you end up in the diagonals and get unexpected actions in response. (I think movement takes priority over dropping? I forget now.) Anyhow, you could get by, but it's the kind of game that plays best with a 4-way guide so you can move smoothly from direction to direction without having to worry about the corners.

I haven't had a lot of trouble with the DC d-pad for this particular game (contrast: it was a bit of a pain for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!), but a Saturn-style pad would be quite nice. :)

Though it delves into some territory that Sega Tetris doesn't cover, you might want to take a look at some of J.O's TGM Guide. TGM is something of a successor to the original 1988 Sega Tetris, so there are a lot of things in common. You'll have to ignore anything about Initial Rotation System or speeds above (I think) 1G, but a good portion of the advice about how to move pieces, how to stack in a way that supports range of movement, and that sort of thing should still apply.

Mmhm, the way to handle fast autorepeat games is to use "two-step finesse." That is, any position in the playfield can be reached with no more than two movement "steps." Autorepeat is pretty much purely a tool to reach the sides of the playfield. If you want a placement near the wall, you would want to use autorepeat to get there and then tap one space back.

Enumerating the basic moves, you get: hold to wall, hold to wall and tap back, tap twice, tap once, and neutral.

The lock delay should be "step reset" -- that is, it resets to full when the piece "steps" down a row. Otherwise, it should be around half a second.

Yeah, I quite like this mechanic. :) It also goes up in value as time goes on -- 3x tetris at endgame speeds is worth 500k!

17. cool - loads of info there for me...I get the lock delay thing now - think I can see why sometimes it seems to give me more time (must be dropping the piece down a level when that happens).

Many thanks.....

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Unregistered

Hi there - I was searching this game on Google and I can't believe I actually found an active thread about it...

Can someone please explain how to get the UFO catcher to work? I know you need money from single player mode, but sometimes I can get in, sometimes I can't, it just seems totally random.

I actually went as far as to copy the message letter-by-letter into Google Translate, but it got me this:

Code:
    $がたりなので、メニユーにもどります
    $は、ひたすらモードでたぬてわ!
    Code:
    Or because of $, I go back to Meniyu
    $ Is, I earnestly Te Tanu mode!
    So... yeah. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Unregistered

Uh oh - I slipped up - it's actually

Code:
    $がたりないので、メニユーにもどります
    $は、ひたすらモードでたぬてわ!
    Code:
    $ Is not enough, I will return to Meniyu
    $ Is, I earnestly Te Tanu mode!
    Thanks in advance :)

20. I suspect you not to copy-paste the phrase :) Screen ?