Does The Tetris Company Ignore its Hardcore Community?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 8 Apr 2009.

1. I'd also like to note that a good fraction of comments on the "Japan Tetris Finals" and jin8 videos are not "wow this guy is awesome, I wanna play this game" but rather "I don't know anything about their lives outside of Tetris, but I'm gonna automatically deduce from their skill that they have no lives."

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

and making comments like that is their hobby, which is really sad but kind of funny.

3. I wouldn't put much stock in youtube comments. When an "average" comment scores negative five or higher, your population mean average of intelligence or whatever is going to be on the left end of the curve, too. [​IMG]

4. QFT.

The most "hardcore" thing they've ever put in a (non-Ti) Tetris game was Master mode of Tetris Zone. However, it's still piss easy, considering Shirase 0 starts off faster than level 20.

Also of note is the fact that a good number of us bought Tetris Party even though it was already clear at launch it was the same guideline stupidity of the past couple games, but covered up with different gimmicks. TTC really does have it over us no matter how much we hate them... O.o

5. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

Actually, a significant proportion of existing fans find "Tetris" - as defined by the current Guideline - to be boring and unenjoyable. And I'm not even talking about the hardcore here; I'm talking about casual gamers, like housewives who prefer the old GB Tetris or Tetris Classic.

[emphasis added]
    TTC is also not working hard enough to satisfy a lot of its existing audience, as illustrated above. I honestly cannot believe that they're maximising their profit by behaving this way.

6. jujube

jujube Unregistered

TZ Master level 20 is much faster than Shirase 0, aside from the DAS. can anybody here manually lock in TZ master level 20? i stop at around level 17. in Doom/Quake/Expert Ti with Ti-World i can manually lock all the way to 1000 without many double-locks (although i've only gotten that far when starting at 500).

edit: i just played TZ master again, manually locking the whole way, and didn't have double-locks until level 20.

7. m:)

m:) Unregistered

i agree myself to a certain extent. i am would prefer not to play the TTC guideline games, they do however still have me strung along like a helpless junkie still buying their games when they come along.

8. I bought tetris party because of the free wii points(tournaments). It was stupid to NOT buy it if you owned a wii and were decent enough to place high enough in the tournaments. They give you wii points for something you would be doing otherwise. But to avoid getting off-track, tetris party was targetted at tetris fans who were not hardcore. The non-hardcore fans need gimmicks to stay interested.

So if TTC releases their own version of TGM, isn't everyone going to complain about something else?

9. some lady 'Adrian Lopez' posted this comment on the TTC vs. Blockles article from Gamasutra:

Adrian Lopez

10 Apr 2009 at 5:33 pm PST

"The vast majority of the claimed trade dress elements are actually gameplay mechanics, and therefore functional rather than decorative. Is it not the case that functional elements cannot be granted trademark protection? If so, most of the claimed elements are unworthy of the trade dress protection being sought. The Tetris Company is in fact trying to claim exclusive rights to the mechanics of Tetris, which is not much different than someone trying to claim exclusive rights to the mechanics of Chess."

dunno what shes saying but thought it was interesting

10. Same thing's been said to death. TTC decides not to care anyways, probably in hopes that intimidation alone will deter people.

11. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

honestly i really think TTC isn't trying to be evil here with the blockles suit..

The author of blockles clearly was trying to take the Korean Tetris and change it "just enough to not be sued" and TTC is trying to nail them on it, and I don't blame them. And that's what they will be trying to convince the judge, regardeless of their actual legal arguments.

But only patents can do what they really want to do.

I still think (and hope) they will fail,

12. But Korean Tetris can only be played by people in Korea. If it was a worldwide release that was being ripped off, I think they would be perfectly entitled to it, but it isn't.

Fact is that most of the games TTC files lawsuits against are merely filling gaps in the market which TTC can't fill themselves.

13. Muf

Muf

Fixed.

14. There's a reason Tetris Worlds (GBA) was released to reviews saying "It's the game that breaks tetris."

And, wait, Tetris Party gives out free Wii points? Woah.

15. m:)

m:) Unregistered

you actually can get the games cost x 4. it's hard to pass that up.

16. Yeah, I know a lot of people who say "fuck the new stuff. Oldskool to the max". Usually this bothers me, but you have a point. The classic nintendo games did actually have challenge, even if it came from shitty controls. The new ones made the mistake of removing the challenge.

17. Zaphod77

I believe it's possible to make SRS playable under step reset now.

1) if the center of the bounding box OR the lowest block lowers, perform a step reset. This catches the case edo mentioned.
    2) if the bounding boxes center or the lowest block rises during lock delay, perform a climb reset that stores the state of the bounding box and the lowest block and locks out further climb and step resets until one or the other drops lower than it was before. Optionally use a higher delay for the climb reset.

and, while we're at it

3) fix the incredibly unintuitive situation where you have to rotate the s or z the wrong way to be able to rotate it at all. Add an extra kick to the end rotation tables for those pieces from the initial state to allow the desired rotation to take place.

18. I think rather than trying to fix step reset so it works with SRS, you should try and fix SRS so it works with step reset. The wallkick system should just be altered to make it kick up less. Even ignoring the broken step reset, it's still awkward to play with in 20G conditions.

19. Zaphod77

I'm all for replacing SRS, but it's clearly Not An Option.

This is the only way i can think of to retain the intent of the rotation system and remove infinity and have it still playable.

If these reset rules were added to TAP, they would change nothing at all. Therefore this isn't really changing step reset, but simply adding cases to handle the strangeness that is SRS.