Dissertation on the impact of Tetris

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 7 Jan 2007.

1. Some guy wrote a this. I haven't read it yet, but woah.

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

It hardly mentions fan games. All I could find were Tetrinet and some PSP homebrew game. I couldn't find "Bednarz", "Bedtris", and "Bedter", the names associated with TTC's first run of cease and desist letter, or "Quinn", the name associated with TTC's most recent brand enforcement campaign.

3. Cubicz

Cubicz Unregistered

I agree; for someone bothered to do such a comprehensive essay, you would think fan games would be a major part of that, as Tetris has the most fan games, remakes and crappy flash versions of any game ever. except maybe snake or something, and fan games really made it what it is.

4. i haven't read but the first bit yet, but i'm going to guess it has something to do with the need for citations (published works). he probably wrote this before or without knowledge of the quinn thing, too.

5. Heh... of course it would be tepples complaining about the lack of focus on fan games. [​IMG] Just about every noob prgrammer creates a tetris game. And the average audience of these games, even only the public ones, is rather small. These games are more a part of rogramming culture than Tetris culture.

Which isn't to say there aren't important ones out there like Shimizu Tetris or Heboris. But still.

6. whats about that quinn versus ttc ? is there something blogged or such about that incident?

7. tepples

8. "The first online-compatiable Tetris game was Tetris Worlds Online Edition, released for Segas Dreamcast in 2000 (CNET Networks Inc., 2005u) [...] Tetris Worlds Online Edition was re-released in 2003 for Microsofts XBox console, this time with considerably more success (CNET Networks, 2005u). "

whaaa? you mean The Next Tetris - Online Edition.

"In contrast, Tetris current Internet existence consists of small groups of fanatics in concentrated, non-profit populations."

hmm... yeah i guess you're right lol.

9. this student is also missing completely the very popular 3d tetris BLOCKOUT.

i cite:

"The only mainstream example of Tetris that attempted to move into a 3D environment (except for the rather primitive Welltris and the sidelined Virtual Boy version in 1996) is Tetrisphere, released for the Nintendo 64 in 1997 (Horwitz. J, 1997) (Appendix 6). Tetrisphere was a radical shift in gameplay for the series, since instead of stacking blocks the player had to take them away:"

10. tepples

It could be argued that Blockout and its PS1 port Geom Cube were even more obscure than Tetrisphere.

11. K

K

This game is originaly not related to tetris. The original title was FEAR for the "jaguar" console. the name "Tetrisphere" was a cool shortcut for marketing business, since several shape may be apparented to tetris for the mainstream, but the gameplay have absolutely NO inherit from Tetris.

12. To give a little credence to Jago's words, have a little look over here for some concrete proof.

13. K

K

yop, thanks !

i search for those information but i mistaken with the name orthograph.... [​IMG]