Captcha

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Webby, 2 Jul 2009.

1. Yeah, you go ahead then.

2. I think it still takes more effort for the poster than the mod deleting it.

Can understand the point that it's perhaps a little nave to have a function that is good for normal users when it can be exploited by less brilliant ones, but if the staff have decided to put the function in then presumably they're prepared to put up with any of the consequences.

I doubt that potential abuse hasn't been considered.

3. lances 7.51

lances 7.51 Unregistered

I lol'd.

also this is hilarious SRSly. thanks for fixing my headache :D

(p.s. yes i guess you could say i'm a semiregular)

4. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

Since you have to solve a captcha every single time, I would dare say that it is more effort in the long run.

And if you're a real troll and don't learn, you can still be banned.

As for more reasons why anonymous posting isn't bad:
    • Registering multiple accounts isn't hard. With gmail, hotmail, yahoo, and others it's not hard to make fake email addresses. If being able to prevent that was really important, we'd ask for drivers' license, birth certificate, or other ID on registration. Clearly that's not happening.
    • If you make your browser save your password, travel without your computer, don't know your password and want to post remotely, you can. Just say your name, say you're traveling in your post, and most users will give the benefit of the doubt.

I like it, and I say we keep it.

5. Muf

Muf

And cause it's reCAPTCHA, you're doing good helping old books get digitised.