Blockbox

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Deniax, 2 Apr 2008.

1. Deniax

Deniax Blockbox developer

From IRC:

In the game-over overlay (where you must choose between leave game or next round)
    C+Right for next round or C+Left for leave game

For an instant restart of the game, next to ALT+R , in the monday release you will also be able to use the ] button (handy for mapping your joystick).

You have a point there, it's quite illogical that in VS mode it's inverted... Going to change that in mondays release. The rest of the players ok with that?

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

it might be good if you could use left/right keys (whichever keys you bound to left/right in the game controls tab) to highlight "leave game" or "next round", then hitting a rotation key would select it. then you could leave your fingers on the game keys, and joystick players wouldn't have to go to the keyboard to restart.

3. Deniax

8.2.1-Build20081027-1580 has now been installed

New features

- Inverted up/down controls for ARS. So down is sonic drop and up is hard lock.
    - "DAS does not charge during ARE" for Marathon 2 ( TAP Master ) implemented
    - Leaderboard for Marathon 1 ( TGM1 ) now shows the score in stead of the time

Bug fixes

- Problem solved that sometimes after a game, the game would freeze and the server should be restarted
    - Some snooping bugs fixed
    - Problem solved where sometimes a soundeffect would keep on playing, even if you quit the game
    - Removed firm and hard drop from ARS & SRS in Marathon 1 ( TGM1 )

4. Noooooooo...
    What? What is this about? Do you mean Line Clear? Elaborate.
    NOOOOOOOO! Hahaha.

First off, I'd prefer Up - Sonic, Down - Hard for all rotation systems. Can you offer customization options? It'd be really nice if people could just pick whatever they want. I can't use sonic drop if it is mapped to down.
    Secondly, please _don't_ base the leaderboard solely on score. Abusing level stop is horrifically dumb. Completion->Grade->Mastering Time is the way things should be.

5. Deniax

Yes, you will be able to do that in a later release. For now it's done because in ARS, down is also sonic drop , so it would be logical that in 40 lines, it's the same.
    But this is for TGM 1 only. In TGM 1 , scoring is more important then time because score=grade. Or isn't it correct?

It's purely something for TAP Master (Marathon 2) that wasn't implemented.

Colour_Thief explained it to me how it worked

See screenshot: [​IMG]

The first 3 rows show you single frame change. These 3 frames don't charge DAS. Also, you can't lose DAS. Basically all input is ignored on these 3 frames

The 3 frames are:
    - the frame a piece gets its white border (white border flash = total of 2 frames, but only on the first has this effect)
    - the frame the level coutner increases
    - the frame a piece enters the screen

During ARE, aside from these 3 frames you lose DAS by not pressing down left/right/up or down.

The bottom 2 rows are for line clears. This shows the first and last frames that have this effect.
    So, it goes:

- Starting with the white border
    - Up to and including the first frame where the stack falls

One important detail relating to all this...
    During active time DAS is only reset by pressing a direction.

So in active time, if DAS is 0 or even positive like 16 etc, then pressing a direction will cause:
    0 (reset), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc (with the commas seperating the frames)
    But in ARE, if you ignore the "bald spots" , pressing a direction won't reset things
    so if DAS is 0 and you press right: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc (By bald spots I mean the picture I was referring to. DAS doesn't charge on those frames).

6. I like that a clone author is finally paying such attention to detail.

7. Deniax

8. Ahhh, the bald spots. I thought you meant the entirety of ARE for a moment, but I knew that couldn't have possibly been right. I figured it was the Line Clear delay DAS freeze instead, rather than the ARE dead frames. It's cool that you're implementing things like this, I don't think any of the other clones have those minute details.

9. jujube

jujube Unregistered

can't you remap sonic drop to whatever you want? or am i missing something. i thought that Deniax made it so your mapping assignments stayed the same across all modes (requested by ct), so you could map things however you wanted and it would always be the same.

10. Ahh, I thought there were still inconsistencies. It was really bothering me when that was the case. If things are consistent now, I'll just flip things now.

11. Deniax

Hi guys,

I've installed an extra version of Blockbox, based on OpenGL especially for the players who have frame rate / lag issues.
    If you don't have lag issues, don't try it out and use the D3D one.

If the players who had frame rate / lag issues could click on the OpenGL one and tell me if that one plays much better, it would be appreciated! [​IMG]

12. Hey, I tried the to play the Open GL version and all I see is a paper with a red X on it in the top left corner. I presume that means it doesn't work for me. Anyone else try it?

My computer seems to fail at everything. Hopefully I can get a new one so I don't have so many issues. Sorry Deniax for my computer working so poorly.

13. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i tried and it worked, but there was an awful lot of lag. i think i'll stick with the D3D version, which rarely gave me any problems, and the problems i did have were very minor.

14. yep same here, it lags like crazy and i have a fast computer too.

15. I actually tried it and it felt very quick and responsive, no problems at all. [​IMG]

16. Deniax

Version 8.2.3-Build20081030-1583 is now installed

New features

- TGM+ (Is called Marathon 2.5) (with grade support!)
    - In the end screen, you can select "leave game" or "next round" using the left/right buttons and select it with a rotation key. This way you don't have to take you hands off the keyboard

Bug fixes

- Selecting ARS & 8 way control won't drop 4 pieces at once when you press down

17. just wondering how to access this. I read like the first 4 pages and i got a link to that german site but i can't seem to play blockbox. O.o unless its still beta then nvm lol. screenies look mad. development is running good [​IMG]

18. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Yeah, it's in private beta right now but you can try PMing deniax. He'll be too nice to pass you up. [​IMG]

19. Deniax

Marathon 1 (TGM) , Marathon 2 (TAP Master) and Marathon 2.5 (TAP+) have been implemented and players have the choice to choose SRS (which normally isn't possible), I've got a question concerning pressing & holding soft drop behaviour.

For ARS:
    Level 500-900: All pieces will spawn on the stack (due to 20G) and lock instantly (this means that if I keep pressing soft drop, the next piece that spawns will not have lock delay.

How should this behaviour be in SRS ?

Currently in Blockbox SRS will behave the same as ARS from 500-900 in Marathon, 2 and 2.5

20. Any action that would incite a lock that is held during entry/clear delay should be executed on the first frame of active time, provided that some sort of locking safety flag isn't set. Soft drop normally lock in SRS, so the accurate behavior would be to execute hard drops held during entry delay on the first frame of active time as long as the hard drop key had been released after the last drop.

Ex: Press Up, piece hard drops, release Up, hold Up, active time starts, piece locks.