BIG golden square aka CUBESTORM multiminio game

Thread in 'Discussion' started by herc, 11 Dec 2006.

1. new gravytris.exe

* new, experimental MOUSE-O-MANIA game mode: no keyboard interaction - mouse ONLY. drag and rotate (right mouse button) pieces in the arena with the mouse to eleminate lines. click left to eleminate color-clusters (>=5 blocks of same color). each deleted line / color cluster / color stride generates n+1 new garbage pieces that drop in the arena. additionally, current play-piece drops with actual level speed.

* enhanced: gravity gun. gravgun now searches for piece to pick up the following way: beginning from the center of rotation of gravgun-piece, looks increasingly left and right till a piece to pick up is found. new idea while typing this: picked up piece is sucked up and centered to the middle of gravgun..

* fixed: highscore list display

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Like TDS touch, or does it work only on the falling piece?

So it's the same game I've played before, right?

If each play removes n blocks and creates n+1, then does the game always end due to top out after fewer than 200 plays?

Or look in a triangle shape like Kirby's vacuum does.

EDIT: I found three reproducible errors.

Bug: at 800x600, the dialog

press joystick button for: "move left:" :

appears behind the dialog

configure Keys for Player 0 (Pino)

Bug: at 800x600, the dialog

press joystick button for: "move left:" :

misspells "cancel" as "chancel"

Bug: move left, move right, and soft drop do not work if they are assigned to the buttons on the Control Pad. My Nintendo 64 controller adapter (and, I'd imagine, many PS2-style USB joysticks) puts the Control Pad on buttons 10, 11, 12, and 13, and the analog stick on the main joystick axes. I see the JoyButton_up and JoyButton_down messages in the corner, but the falling piece does not respond. Of these buttons, only hard drop works.

3. @tepples: thanks alot for bug reports! i will go into joypad stuff tomorrow.

about new game mode: yes, its somehow similiar to "same game"! actually was inspired by that [​IMG] only difference is that it uses tetris pieces instead of just colored blocks. and yes - dragging works on all pieces in the playfield, as in TDS touch puzzles. but currently my dragging sucks somehow. must enhance that.

no, game does not stop, because if you delete a line, you kill 10 blocks. this equals to eleminating 2.5 pieces, whiel only 2 new pieces are spawned. added the additional piece that drops like in regular tetris this gives 3.5 pieces. but if you are faster in removing lines than the additional piece drops, you may clear the playfield (i hope - havent played it by myself thorougly enough, just implemented it)

good idea with kirbys vacuum!

4. So, yeah, There's a very nice method of getting a very high score. After checking with herc that it's actually supposed to be possible, I present to you the "big-8":

Build up to 9 high (or higher) in columns 3-10, and drop your first 2 I pieces vertically in column 2. Then make a line clear on the 9th line from the bottom. The I pices help you to tell where this line is. While the pieces are dropping from above this 9th line, the 8 lines beliw are seperated. And since we put the I blocks in column 2, the 8x8 block bottom-right is now seperated, and becomes a BIG golden square. Now stack your next I piece in column 2, and then on your next I piece, use the grav gun to pick up the I, move it into column 1, let go, and then hard drop quickly after. The result is an 8x combo, which can be extended by hard dropping pieces into the 2 column gap on the left. I managed to get a 12x this way. As an alternative to using the gravity gun, you can put the second I piece after the square in column 3, and then use the piece after to nudge them into the gap.

In case that didn't make any sense, here's a YouTube vid that I made about a week ago:

5. tepples

What would fuse-t*t?*s be called if all tetrominoes were the O tetromino, and two different-color tetrominoes came out, moving as a unit, and the rotate key caused the second O to revolve around the first?

6. With 7 colours? a cluster fuck...

And you'd have to remove the squares scoring.

Pad update: the control pad setup can't read axes at all...

7. @lardarse: i am working on that joystick issue.

is this "cluster fuck" something that happens in an existing game? what game is that?

8. tepples

Clustercourse, or Clustercourse? It was just that I had forgotten how Puyo-like the fuse mode was until I actually played it.

9. "cluster fuck" is an American slang term for... no, I won't explain it. But it has nothing to do with computer games...

What my comment meant, was that I immediately knew what teples was refering to ("great minds think alike, fools seldom differ" anyone?), and that Puyo Puyo (aka the bean-dropping game, see the links in the previous post) is usually only played with 4 or 5 colours. So with 7 colours, it would be a very hard game...

10. [​IMG] now it makes sense! and of course, no need to explain any further...

11. CubeStorm alpha 04 was released today!

its slowly getting into shape, the next release will be a beta. nontheless, it has already a fully working , profile based online highscore system with some ajax inside, too.

everyone who likes cascade style tetris games is invited to try out this latest and strangest incarnation of cascade tetris. and try pressing the left Ctrl key - its the gravity gun ! have fun!

http://www.cubestorm.com

(dont forget its still "alpha", many bugs remaining.)

[​IMG]

12. johnberhenry

johnberhenry Unregistered

There has to be a way to distinguish parts of gold squares from parts of O tets.

13. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

You can change the color of it in OPTIONS.

14. tepples

It could give gold squares a much thicker border, a color somewhere between the O and L colors, or possibly a different texture.

Ghett0: The point is for it to act somewhat sensible immediately after installation.

EDIT: fixed TNT box syndrome

15. johnberhenry

johnberhenry Unregistered

[edit]

Then the same will have to be done for silver squares.

[/edit]

You mean O and L. You are starting to confuse the colors of the J and L tetrominoes, probably the same way Jeff Lawrence did in Blockstar.

I meant he used the same color as the O tet.

16. I realise it's a little offtopic, but it's also a little related [​IMG]

I once had a game at sprints tetris where I tried to build a big yellow wall, consisting of only O pieces at the bottom. It is played in deathmode, and no cheats were used. In order to be able to attempt it, a lot of luck was required to get 3 O pieces at the start (but no cheating). The randomizer is fully random. This is what it looked like:

[​IMG]

You can see the replay here: http://ccgi.gdward.plus.com/cgi-bin/tetris/index.php?replay=4960

17. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Heheh, I can make big goldies on demand now.

[​IMG]
    Video

Also :

[​IMG]

18. @ghett0: very cool video! though i see some old bugs that scare me [​IMG]

regarding these bugs: please upgrade to the latest cubestorm alpha 05:

http://www.cubestorm.com/download/cubes ... lpha05.exe

this version contains many many fixes.

and if you like so, i would be happy if you could submit freshly discovered bugs to the fresh new bugtracker:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=1 ... unc=browse

here is whats changed so far:

new stuff:

* 20080522: instant drop key - usefull in low gravity modes to play fast. so you can have the usual drop key with lock delay and a drop key that instantly locks.

predefined expert settings are now:

keys[K_DOWN] = InputEvent(SDLK_SPACE);

keys[K_DROP] = InputEvent(SDLK_UP);

keys[K_DROP_INSTANT] = InputEvent(SDLK_DOWN);

this is for experts, they dont really need to move a piece down slowly. they rather drop with lock and then slide into some overhang. or just instant drop.

* reworked entry-delay system (entry delay chancelling; fixed "delayed autoshift" (DAS) precharge behaviour (you can now precharge DAS during entry delay)

* updated to the new openAL soft audio backend

fixed bugs:

* 20080523: gravgunned pieces can be rotated out of the playfield (lazer) -- now they can still, but now it doesnt cause interlocking / game over

* 20080522: fixed: some pieces cannot rotate around all axes ( T and I for example) (lazer)

* 20080522: grav_gunned_tile->recenter(); -- this fixes off-center rotations of gravgunned pieces

* 20080522: fixed user interface key settings -- (lazer) boss key not changeable

* (lazer) square creation algorithm fails sometimes

* (lazer) crashes when loading avatar and pressing cancel on file selection screen

* (lazer) cannot choose avatar picture before a name has been entered for the profile

* (lazer) Console window and automatic shortcut creation can't be disabled.

^^ (herc) the dos console window will stay until the final release is ready, to see some debugging infos; shortcut re-creation is fixed.

removed things:

* code clean ups: removed some boolean flags like is_playpiece_ and is_locked_ . the less flags, the easier it is to maintain the code

* (lazer) What are the cache updates?

^^^(herc) this was a method to ensure the cache is up-to-date (but it was too slow - now i set the playfield explicitly after something changes)

open bugs:

* color chain algorithm can still cause hanging / interlocking pieces ??

19. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

I still see a glitch. Y'know how combos don't end until all locked pieces are touching eachother? Well if you gravity gun a piece, release and move far left, it'll fly up into the air and every line you clear before it falls down is counted for a combo. I got my 202 combo by juggling a piece, actually. [​IMG]

EDIT : Apparently the new hard drop key doesn't lock, is not labeled, and is "multi-functional." [​IMG]