BIG golden square aka CUBESTORM multiminio game

Thread in 'Discussion' started by herc, 11 Dec 2006.

1. Also: Key setups are reset between versions.

And what does "gravity drop" do?

2. i'm very sorry about that. this happens every time i add a new option to my option-class. as gravytris is progressing to a final release, this will happen less often. please dont be upset (its a beta) and please redefine your keys if that happens. by the way - whats your keyboard layout? i thought lockjaws layout (my expert - profile) would fit most people here?
    if you press gravity drop, the piece is released and accelerates downwards with the (configurable) gravity constant, i.e. it gets faster while falling. its just a beginners drop - nice and slow so you can readjust dropping position while piece is still falling. for speedy gameplay just choose hard drop or hard drop+lockdelay (soft drop? sonic drop? whats your official name for that?)

@jp01309: currently keys can be configured via the ingame-menu only. please click on "Player settings" --> "Player 0" . then you may select a predefined keyboard layout or just click / pess enter on the corresponding key you want to change.

[​IMG]

3. That key config is close to what I use, except that I don't use far left/right, and I put x-spin on s instead of v. My Lockjaw keyboard setup is hold on s. I'm not using my control pad yet because it's on my other computer still.

The gererally used terms are "sonic drop" or "non-lockign hard drop" for what you call "hard drop + delay", "sonic lock" or "locking hard drop" for what you call "hard drop", and "soft drop" for what you call "move down".

Is there a bonus for using parts of a silver/gold square in a line clear? And ttalkiing of score, the score display in the top-left doesn't work any more.

Two other things you should probably be told. Firstly, there's a fairly easy way to get a BIG golden square, and then get an 8x combo to follow.

And secondly, there's an unpredictable bug that sometimes makes a piece dead. I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but it makes a piece become "dead", and stops line clears, squares, and combos from scoring.

4. you can now also define your keys in the external options gui:

(was fun to draw this keyboard with the fltk gui designer [​IMG] - hope there are no errors, because i only have german keyboard)

[​IMG]

new gravytris.exe

bugfixes:

* new new key config dialog

* new initial startup dialog: now you can select your computer speed (new option for computers without 3dcard) and player style (this mainly affects key speed and key layout)

* score display bug fixed

* gravitygun bugs fixed

* highscore list loadfail bug fixed

5. it was very interesting to actually test my idea about cascade gravity with zero line clear delay. it was hard to imagine without actually playing, but now i can see that the idea functions without any problems.

i like gravytris. it's very innovative. i don't want to get too into it because i'm scared it'll hurt my srs play. the least i can recommend about the rotation system is that you middle-ize that i piece. anyway, keep up the good work.

6. che_lives

che_lives Unregistered

it looks pretty cool!

good job!

7. The gravity gun is no longer crashing thigs, but it's making me pick up the wrong piece nearly every time now...

8. actually overall cascade behaviour is not really zero delay, as it takes at least 1 frame for pieces / splitted blocks to fall (depending on gravity setting). so it takes some frames to complete the cascade. but if one cranks up framerate it could be nearly instantly.
    also i will soon implement a mode where pieces can move more than unit per frame. at the moment it max'es out at 1block per frame. (besides the special case of hard drop, where i programmed a seperate loop that drops the current playtile to the bottom in 1 frame)

i will go into SRS, i promise. just need some more time to first fix all these bugs, so i can release it "officially" ( it took me over 1 year to arrive at the current state, partly because of lack of motivation, university duties etc)

9. removing one bug causes another [​IMG] i will fix that pronto!

10. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

If you have a ghost, then hard drop and >1G can run in O(1) time: move the piece down by by several squares at once and move it back up to the ghost if it has crossed.

When caffeine talks about "hurting his SRS play", he's usually talking about SRS rotations in free space:

[​IMG]

You can implement those before you implement SRS kicks if you need to. I did this in TOD Milestone 4 (the last Carbon Engine game) and Tetramino 0.30 (an NES game), precisely because maintaining those games' Nintendo-like rotation systems was hurting my TDS skills.

11. yeah, damn tetlag... /end shameless term-plug to make me sound cool O_O

12. @tepples thanks for explaining!

@caffeine: hope rotations of I piece are now correct

new gravytris.exe:

* fixed: rotation of pieces now SRS conform

* added: drop speed can now be greater 1 blockperframe. --> smooth transition from 1G to 20G

* gravgun: now picking up only pieces directly under the point of rotation / center of mass (i.e. the line that appears if you enable "one helper line")

* fixed some opengl graphics bugs

* fixed a keyboard lagging effect (key was not repeating for next piece after old piece locked)

* new: drop speed display (blocks per second)

13. it's just almost srs: need to scoot i/s/z/j/l/t over one column to the left.

14. @caffeine: thanks! have fixed that.

new gravytris.exe=

* new some kind of wall, floor and obstacle(blocks in arena) - rotate kick

* SRS spawning positions fixed

* [ESC] during a game now pauses game and shows in menu with option to resume the game

* fuse tetris: increased difficulty. now 4*4=16 blocks of same color must be fused together before clearance, or 4x4 squares must be built.

(not sure about that: maybe better to not distract beginners: start in level 0 with 2x4blocks, then level1 3x4, then level2 4x4 and stay 4x4blocks for higher levels?!?)

15. very good. i like playing it.

16. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

needs a mac port.

17. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

developer needs a mac.

18. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

No he doesn't, he can use vmware

19. @cdsboy: i will soon send you sources. maybe i need some 2weeks now to finish everything. if you would like to get started, you could try to get

already some libraries compiled and installed: fltk, sdl, openAL and libcurl. just curious: can you run my game in an emulator? virtual pc or such? what framerate gives that (i suspect any high, because no hardware accel...)

vmware is not an option. first, i would need to aquire a legal copy of osx, and second it would run like a snake inside vmware.

new gravytris.exe

now more extensive highscore informations are uploaded:

[​IMG]

20. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

I can not run it in any emulator because i don't have a intel based mac. What version of Fltk do you use?