Assault on InGameDex

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 17 Feb 2008.

1. Do you guys remember InGameDex?

http://www.tetrisconcept.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=494&highlight=ingamedex

http://www.tetrisconcept.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=866&highlight=ingamedex

They stole our entire wiki without giving proper attribution. We asked them to change this to comply with our attribution license, and they ignored us. If you look there now, their wiki is filled with unmoderated spam versions of outdated information. It's disgusting. And to make it worse, I'm told for certain searches google ranks them above TC!

So, since these guys are so negligent about their wiki, and inconsiderate about respecting our attribution license, I say we edit each and every tetris related article to simply contain "www.tetrisconcept.com". Only the Tetris articles. No vandalizing their other content that may or may not be InGameDex original articles.

I think we'll be doing random people looking for Tetris information a favour by doing this, and also I would hope this would have some sort of benefit on our Google rank as well.

2. Good idea, even better than the suggested one that we delete them all.

I'll happily oblige.

3. That's a great idea. Can anyone make a bot to do that?

If not, we should start with the most popular pages first.

4. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

In fact, that way isn't even vandalism: it's citing a source.

5. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

6. I'm not sure if you understood my full intent. I meant modifying the articles to contain a link to TC and no additional information. Many of "their" articles are so out of date... Sourcing is not enough in my opinion (and that's their job!).

7. Well done guys! We've edited over 200 pages already! [​IMG]

9. I am delighted to anounce that a mere 12 hours and ~350 edits later the assault has been a total success. Not a single article is left that was stolen from our wiki. Not one!

As a final touch, the "tetrisconcept is an affiliate" page has been edited to properly reflect the true situation. [​IMG]

http://www.ingamedex.com/Affiliate/TetrisConcept.com

Judging by all the spambots roaming freely there, we anticipate no reverts or retaliation of any kind.

Thank you everyone who helped!

10. Just a bump to say that a month later, all our edits are buried beneath a huge pile of spambot edits. We can be pretty confident that our edits will take. [​IMG]

11. i guess that's what you get when you want the content but don't want to put in the work.

12. what you are doing is in fact DANGEROUS to the google rank of tetrisconcept.com !!

sooner or later that site will be identified by google for what it is: a simple link farming and spamming site. and if google finds a lot of tetrisconcept.com links on such a page , the rank of tetrisconcept.com might be lowered as well !!

so dont add the link, but rather delete the whole mess.

13. are you sure about that? a company could then do that against a rival company's website to lower their rank without the rival company having any say.

14. Yeah, if anything they'll just knock ingamedex out of the algorithm.