Are you a native French speaker?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 11 Nov 2007.

1. It seems we have a lot of French-speaking players here. I'm very curious to find out how many there are, and where you all come from. And if anyone is ever stuck and needs to ask a question en franais, they'll know who can answer. [​IMG]

I'm a Canadian born in Toronto, Ontario. My mother comes from Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec. I speak French frequently to my mother, and grew up near a military base where I had the opportunity to go to a French primary school because of all the Quebec military families living there. I'm currently living in Waterloo, which is... not very French at all.

2. I live and was born in the french-part of Switzerland. I say we should ban soixante-dix (70), quatre-vingt (80) and quatre-vingt-dix (90) and replace them with some much more logical septante, huitante and nonante.

3. jujube

jujube Unregistered

what the hell is an elderberry [​IMG]

anyway, it's great to see people here from different cultures. and i think the French speakers are better with English than i am with French.

j'adore le tetris et le TC [​IMG]

isn't 91 quatre-vingt-dix-et-un?

4. It's a Monty Python reference, for a scene where French knights are taunting King Arthur. [​IMG]

It's actually quatre-vingt-onze, which is pretty ridiculous. Our Swiss brothers got it right in my opinion. [​IMG]

5. jujube

jujube Unregistered

well, my father smells like cheeseburgers and french fries [​IMG]

6. everyone's required to watch the holy grail at least once. it's tetrisconcept law. the part about the african swallow cracks me up everytime.

anyway, i happen to have a little french in me. i'm part cajun, which isn't uncommon in louisiana. my mother's ancestors traveled from nova scotia, to different parts of canada, to louisiana. my grandparents still speak "cajun french," and i have some relatives with that huge accent you hear in movies like waterboy (i don't, thank goodness). so, we eat a lot of crawfish, gumbo, jambalaya, and stuff like that. my mom never learned the language cause apparently the adults would speak it when they were talking grown-up talk, leaving the kids in the dark. suffice to say, i never learned either.

7. I'm a native french speaker and I do agree. Soixante et onze and quatre-vingt onze are the two most ridiculous things I've been hearing in my life. And I do hear them like hundreds of times each month [​IMG]

8. My hovercraft is full of eels.

Though having spent 5 years studying it, and getting an A* in my GCSE, I'm not too bad at the language.

9. I got an A* in French at GCSE too, but I quickly realised at the July meet that after 7 years without practice I could no longer speak it properly and only caught ~50% of what was being said at full conversational speed. [​IMG]

10. I've had a year and a half to forget it.

I'm not so bad grammatically, but my knowledge of the actual vocabulary is pretty much negligible.

11. lip

lip Unregistered

I actually don't make much of an effort to smell my dad... [​IMG]

12. Evidently we have some law-breakers here [​IMG]

13. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

No French, but I can speak Australian.

14. I'm seeing too many English pig-dogs in this thread! [​IMG] Where are my French brethren?

15. i don't know what's about the french thing but i'm french and live in france (near Paris) ^^.

if you need help in french don't hesitate to ask (although i don't understand why you would need french in the first place [​IMG]).

16. mfm005

mfm005 Unregistered

I'm french from french/spanish/armenian descent and I live near Paris too.