anyone can try my game please ? ^^

Thread in 'Other games' started by shoryu, 12 Apr 2009.

1. Hi everyone, i released a game very recently
    but didn't have many beta testers so i hope it is working [​IMG] , can anyone try it please? : http://www.gonendo.com/?page=pc (It is a columns clone)

Thanks ^^

2. So no one tested it yet? [​IMG]
    i know it's not as addictive as tetris xD but thanks for those who tried it [​IMG]

3. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i would try it, but i'm running Ubuntu. i could probably run it in Wine but it might lag, and i don't want to report problems that wouldn't exist for native Windows users.

4. Hey, just tried it out and it's not bad at all.
    I expected to see a very basic game early in development but instead I saw a game with multiple modes, choice between arcade and game gear columns, cool music and graphics and internet rankings. [​IMG]
    Looks like it's going to be a solid game.

I haven't played columns since back when I was a kid and I had it on my Game Gear. (I have tested a mega drive version once, but it wasn't nearly as fun)

Just a little note. I like to be able to X out the window and not _have_ to go through the menu in order to exit.
    Also, once it does quit it exits with an error report. (something I have experienced myself if I don't pass return 0; when exiting)

Other than that it looks great, good luck with this project. [​IMG]

5. I tried it. It was pretty fun. Some of the fasters modes were pretty difficult and I kept trying to slide the pieces which isn't possible in your game.

One issue I had, and it may just be my eyes since they are not that good anymore, but in the mode with numbers it seems difficult to read the numbers when the piece is falling.

I found the lack of any lock delay made the harder modes very difficult, but I am not all that good at the game, so it might not be the case for others.

6. Thanks a lot guys for taking time to test it. I'm happy that you liked it [​IMG]

Sorry jujube, i will compile it for linux very soon.

Thanks for your report ! All fixed with the new update http://gonendo.com/downloads/pc/entasis_update1.zip [​IMG]

In order to play in these hard modes you have to look at the preview all the time so you know what you have to do next even without looking at the falling column. It is hard but it is possible i believe.

for those who wonder what the game looks like here's a little screen:
    [​IMG]

7. jujube

jujube Unregistered

if you get around to doing that, i'll definitely give it a try [​IMG]

8. 1. played it! quite nice game, well done internet highscore system!

feature requests:
    * lock delay, such that you can slide the piece for some milliseconds even though it has already landed
    * instant drop
    * better cascade animations (maybe smooth falling pieces? this would help to watch whats going on if you have chain reactions)

bug report (version is 12.04.2009):
    random crashes directly after dropping a piece.

9. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

I think I would enjoy this a whole lot more if I was actually half decent at Columns. Can anyone suggest a good site where I can learn about strategy and such? I tried http://www.columnsconcept.com, but sadly no dice.

10. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Columns is supposed to have sega tetris style lock delay and 1g auto-shift. It's playable even at 12g. [​IMG]

11. @shoryu: any update in sight ? would be great, because i like columns and your game is cool ! especially the online scores.. ver well done !
    can you summarize how you did it ? i see some encryption dlls in the root dir. i am just curious about your general concept regarding online higscores.

12. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

The real key to columns is setting up combos.

Sure sometimes you can set up simple clears, but often there is no simple clear available. in this case you should try to line up two of the same color in a row, colum, or diagonal anyway even when blocking the third position is unavoidable. Having filled the third spot, keep an eye out for that color anyway, and place it so it will drop into place after clearing the one below it.

In fact, even when simple clears are available it is often better to set up combos and 2 in a rows in all available colors, and leave them for clearing later. By doing so, you give yourself more options.and by clearing the ones you left open before, you can cause stuff you placed later to line up, restoring your setup.

Like tetris, the goal is to set up your stack to accomodate the most possible pieces at any given time. UNlike tetris, the approach to doing so is totally different.

Don't be afraid to stack high. If you do your best to stack low, you will only end up with a bunch of random colored gems with no way to effectively drill down.