A question for all of the developers here

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Pineapple, 17 Apr 2008.

1. jujube

jujube Unregistered

lol PetitPrince.

jago: what is Moonshine? i know what it is in Kentucky, but i think you're talking about something else.

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Moonshine was illegal liquor during the 1920s prohibition of alcoholic beverages in the United States. The whole "Prohibition" thing on jago's site, as I understand it, draws an analogy between TTC's attempt to eradicate fan games (see the cases of Bedter and Quinn in particular) and the US government's attempt to eradicate liquor.

Monstrous moonshine is a theorem in group theory.

3. Deniax

Deniax Blockbox developer

Already have that implemented [​IMG] (you have the option to turn it on and off)

See an example here: http://greed.gamepoint.net/bigNextFigure.rar

4. jujube

jujube Unregistered

that's pretty cool deniax. i'm a fan of the the preview staying in the center like that instead of moving left and right with the active piece. also that's some damn good compression with the rar! 84mb -> 900kb [​IMG]

5. tepples

And it seems to be placed with its baseline at the top edge of the highest block in the well.

I think that's because somebody didn't use much compression in the AVI itself (Microsoft Video 1, an antique codec). It works because very little of the picture changes from frame to frame. Any LZ style codec will act as a frame differencer as long as the window-size is bigger than the size of a frame. I just tried packing the AVI in 7-Zip with the default 8 MB dictionary, and it turned out 770 KiB. Compare to Xvid at quantizer 6, which gives a 1.45 MiB file.

6. Muf

Muf

XviD; which, just like JPEG and any other DCT/FFT/ICT/WHT/Wavelet-based codecs, isn't made for these things. Example: often a JPEG of a website button or other computer generated graphic will turn out bigger (and uglier) than its counterpart in PNG format.

7. tepples

True. But codecs like the CamStudio codec, which does handle efficient lossless diffing of still images, aren't installed on most people's PCs. That was the problem with PNG when 4.x web browsers were still popular, which is why GNU.org and other web sites of GIF patent protesters had to use JPEG even for images that would benefit from PNG.

8. kiwibonga

kiwibonga Unregistered

Hmm, I like the bar that shows the move reset counter thingamajig *steals*

EDIT: and I have a cool audio-related idea that I think could be viewed as "innovative", unless it's been done before... But I think it hasn't :d

9. Muf

Muf

That was actually stolen from Texmaster.

10. kiwibonga

kiwibonga Unregistered