2014 Clone Drama

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 2 May 2014.

1. Muf

Muf

I already mentioned this, but TGM1 was ported to PSX and TAP was ported to PS2. Sony offers ready-made tools to port/emulate those platforms on PS3/PS4 for digital distribution on the PSN store. That only leaves the costs of a potential console licence (discounted because they're older, previously licensed games? Not sure how much Sega paid for inclusion of Tetris in SEGA Ages Collection), and Sony QA (standard for any PSN titles).

It's really not that unfeasible, but I doubt Mihara does a lot of thinking outside boxes when it comes to development/publishing practices. Kickstarter definitely requires you to think outside the box.

2. I still think you've got to ask how much it'll cost even if it's "discounted". We don't have that many people - I think being generous you'd be looking at most maybe 200 or 300 people who would be happy to chip in $100 or more. Which means if your license is anything more than $40-50k it'll be a struggle. Obviously I personally think that TGM is the best Tetris embodiment, but raising awareness and convincing the wider population of that to the extent where they'd financially back it is a different matter.

Can't find out how much Ubisoft have paid for PS4/XB1 console rights, but given IIRC EA paid $100m for 10 years of mobile licensing (could be wrong with that figure), it seems optimistic to think we'll be able to pick up the license too cheaply. Especially when we're essentially trying to sell games which would dilute the guideline. The fact that Ubisoft now own exclusive rights for PS4 and XB1 would also presumably put anything on those consoles off-limits unless we could strike a deal with them.

I think the more sensible route would be to arrange some sort of royalties figure rather than a flat fee (that way nobody really stands to make much of a loss), but I think that would require far too much discussion and negotiation between relevant parties to ever come to fruition.

Last edited: 19 May 2014
  3. If we're talking about PS1/PS2 Classics emulation, there is input lag. Doesn't sound like a great solution unless it's a true port ("HD Collection" of sorts), in which case there will be additional development turn-around.

4. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Even with classics lag, i think TGM1 would be playable, but not TAP, as the lock delay simply gets a bit too low.

And as I recall Mihara was rather pissed abut Sega getting to release their classics collection, and they probably were required to make Tetris New Century guideline compliant to do it. It's probably the best guideline compliant marathon mode so far. He would most likely have to remake TGM4, which did appear to have a Guideline compliant main mode if you used World, and then throw in the others as a bonus.

And good point about PS4/XBone. He has to deal with Ubisoft to get on there.

PC platform is of course pirate city, but I believe that with online replay sharing and qualification exams, that piracy could be made unattractive. Sure you could practice, but you'd never get GM unless you bought it. Just my silly opinion.

5. Muf

Muf

If input lag is the price to pay for being able to direct people where they can buy and play these exciting games in a legal, hassle-free manner, then I'll gladly pay it. And if it ends up being successful in some weird twist of fate (think Reddit front page or some equally bizarre scenario) it could be a stepping stone for future TGM games on PSN/XBL/Steam.

(NB: I think Jewelry Master Twinkle could've been more successful if it hadn't been targeted completely to Japanese perverts.)

6. Zaphod77

If you hook your ps3 up with av multi or component, and that to a standard definition crt, it won't lag anymore for ps1/2 classics. The issue is the ps3 takes 50-60 ms to deinterlace and output 480p through hdmi, because it can't do 480i through it.

7. Muf

Muf

I am 200% certain the PS3 can output 480i over HDMI.

8. Zaphod77

I am 500% sure mine doesn't, as i have the display settings screen open, and the only choices are 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

That said i fired up DDR for ps1, and it still lagged. less then it did on my HDTV, but it still lagged some. i'm pretty sure it didn't lag when i used my ps1 for it. oddly enough the VMB doesn't lag as much.

it DID take out the horrid lag in bionic commando rearmed 2, though.

9. Muf

Muf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID

10. Zaphod77

snagging a ps2 classic cheap to see how horrible it is.

my latest experimentation says that regardless of what everyone is claiming about fixing it, even hooked up to a crt, there's still a few frames of lag with the ps3 playing ps1 games, even from disc.

will try the game on my hdtv and on my tiny SD one.

11. What I understand is that kickstarter is a foreign stuff.
    And mihara does not want to deal with foreign stuff because it's foreign stuff.

12. Muf

Muf

QFT

13. Definitely would still be present from disc. It's not like the emulation changed or anything. None of the old hardware remains.

14. Zaphod77

no, the point is in addition to any display lag, there's also emulation lag. and people who say there's none are, well, used to it or playing games where it doesn't matter enough. the dance dance revolution test doesn't lie... i had to press before the beat even on the crt.

currently with ps1/ps2 stuff on ps3, you can either have no scaling, and have it output 480p or 380i (apparently) or you can scale it up to your current resolution. both options lagged compared to the crt, and even that lagged in ddr. :(

15. That's what I was saying. It's the same emulation whether you download or use the original disc.

16. Zaphod77

anyway i stand by my statement that TGM1 would still be playable, at least on a crt. I'm wondering about TGM2, though.

PS1 and PS2 classics are simply an untouched ISO+emulator stub and some DRM. We've known how to make our own ps1 classic eboots for a long time (runnable on CFW psp and ps3), and now hackers can make their own ps2 classics as well, but you need cfw to run them as well.

It's not even a porting library. Sony just injects your disc image in and signs it.