2 wide garbage column - help!

Thread in 'Discussion' started by tmc_retro, 25 Apr 2009.

1. Hello,

i w2as recentely watching the french video of Amnesia etc (very good, thanks to all concerned), and it was mentioned that a good tactic to use is to leave a column of two blocks wide down the right hand side for your 'garbage' or blocks that won't go anywhere.

But how does this strategy fit in with trying to make as many tetris' possible, do you sit it out and wait for 2 I pieces to fill the gargabe columns or is it best to just go with a single cloumn left down the right and sticking any difficult pieces on the top of your stack?

If someone could elaborate on this strategy i'd appreciate it, is it used at all speeds up toand over 20G also, or does the strategy change acordingly?

Ps. going off topic a bitm i was also wondering,say for example that i have the 3x3 gap (or whatever it is) that is needed to spin a I piece down the left hand side column for a tetris, (and yeah i know it should on the right), but does it matter which way i spin the I piece, Clockwise or counter clockwise or does it just 'snap' to it's finish position regardless of which way spinned?

hope all that makes sense, thanks.

2. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Heres' how it works.

When there isn't enough at the bottom for a tetris. you can place in a T, a L, or a J, and that will add two to the bottom part to allow for a tetris, and clear one line.

Code:
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXT
    XXXXXXXXTT
    XXXXXXXXT
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXL
    XXXXXXXXL
    XXXXXXXXLL
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXJJ
    XXXXXXXXJ
    XXXXXXXXJ
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX

Placing an S in will clear two lines, not block the hole, and still allow a tetris after.

Code:
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXS
    XXXXXXXXSS
    XXXXXXXXXS 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX

Same for an O.

Code:
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXOO
    XXXXXXXXOO
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX

When the stack is too high, you can get a triple with an L to lower the stack.
    Code:
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXLL 
    XXXXXXXXXL
    XXXXXXXXXL
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX

Only a Z or wrong way T will block it.

After blocking it, you can fix it again with a T, J or an I. I'll show the J method below.

Code:
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXX Z
    XXXXXXXXZZ
    XXXXXXXXZ 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX

Code:
    XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXJJ 
    XXXXXXXXJ
    XXXXXXXXJZ
    XXXXXXXXZ 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX 
    XXXXXXXXX

So every piece, except for one can be dropped into that area without blocking the tetris hole.

So you stack cleanly in 8 colums after building the initial tetris hole, and if you get a piece you cannot place, and it's not a Z, you just toss it over on the right, IRSed counter clockwise. And if a piece that will unblock it is next, then you can even safely toss in the Z.

This works even under 20g, if you've got a pyramid.

The real brilliance is that the T L and J pieces are all interchangable on the right side. so if one of them would destabilize the stack, even without creating a hole, you can place it on the right, and place the following piece (that is a different one of these) on the stack on the left without destabilising it.

3. In TGM, the S, Z, and I pieces only have two rotation states. So, no, it ultimately does not matter which direction you rotate those pieces in.

Also, the minimum space you need to rotate an I-block from horizontal to vertical is 2 open spaces below the 3rd segment from the left. That's why you need a 3x2 space to rotate on the left but only a 2x2 or "stairs" to rotate on the right.

4. Thanks so much for a great explanation.

Gives me a lot to work on!

thanks again for your time.

5. Zaphod,

I'd been going through your explanation and training myself with the technique, but i'm unsure as to what you mean by your last statement...

"The real brilliance is that the T L and J pieces are all interchangable on the right side. so if one of them would destabilize the stack, even without creating a hole, you can place it on the right, and place the following piece (that is a different one of these) on the stack on the left without destabilising it."

Could you please explain this bit to me further?

Sorry if i'm being a bit stupid here!

Thanks, TMC.

6. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

A picture says a thousand words.

This isn't exhaustive, but hopefully it shows you the point. Use the buttons with triangles pointing up and down to browse the sequence.

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

The diagram reminds me of the patterns I started using in Tetramino once I added combo scoring. You need this if you want to break 100,000 points the easy way.

8. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

The point is that no matter which of the three you drop in on the right, one line gets cleared, and two get added to column 9.

The result is identical.

Lets say you get a L, a T, and a Z in the preview.

If you place the L on the stack, you will be unable to place the z, even if you place the t on the stack as well. But if you place the t on the stack without the L, you will.

SO in this case, you simple shove the L over to the right, then place the T and Z on the stack to the left.

It doesn't matter if you put the t or the L on the right. the result is the same over there. But putting a specific piece on the right makes it easier to place the following pieces.