What Would You Change In Tetris DS?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Nick15, 30 Apr 2006.

1. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

I dunno, as much as I love the whole online deal with Tetris DS, some things about it drive me nuts.

Namely the fact that there is only two songs played while online; the Title song and the Super Mario Bros theme song. I wish there was a way to change the song with every game or whatever....

2. Absolute Number 1 priority: Better garbage system (Always completely random in Worldwide matches, if not then I have other ideas)

Number 2: Faster DAS

Number 3: Change Marathon mode (make it like Tetris Worlds or something)

3. heh

-get Chiba to do the visuals

-get Hosoe to do the music

-get Mihara to design the gameplay

Seriously though, that music gets on my nerves.

4. Configurability. Even accounting for the World guidelines being strictly in place, I think Tetris DS is too much of a closed box. Button remapping, music select and the ability to turn several features on or off probably wouldn't have pissed The Tetris Company off that much. FWIW even TGM Ace, which was probably policed more sternly, had the ability to remap the button layouts.

Other than that... faster sideways zooming, and shortening lock times beyond standard level 20 [​IMG]

5. K

K

OPTIONS OPTIONS OPTIONS !!

- Music volume : 0-->100

- smooth Up Lock : on/off

- smooth Down lock : on/off

- DAS speed : slow/fast

- upper screen : on/off

- button layout : default/custom

Arghhhhh OPTIONS !!!!

6. no delay for line clears.

players receive same tetromino string

players receive same garbage string

random garbage

4:3 garbage ratio on tetris-- 4:4 on b2b-- no t-spin bonus

extremely fast horizontal shift (das?) or option thereof (sensitivity costumizations)

timed records instead of scoring (for example, sprint and ultra)

non-indefinite and shortened-as-level-ups lock down times

x as hard drop (or customization)

race mode in wifi and online scoreboard of best race times

probably more-- but that's the basis of it.

7. A "rival" online mode (similar to Metroid Prime Hunter's rival mode: only player of the same rating play together).

Otherwise...

A replay function ? (but it is perhaps a little difficult to implement it... I mean, is there enough memory in that little DS cart to store something as complex as a Tetris match ?)

8. Slightly OT, but if you know what you're doing you could make tetris replays ridiculously small.

9. K

K

hi,

hey PetitPrince, replay is not something really difficult to implement... and i know a lot about that... a replay size is about 15 Ko, if compressed 5 Ko.... so this is not a problem of memory, and not something that necessit a lot of CPU... just maybe a problem of TTC :

there so much time that official tetris game exists without replay and tetris-clone with...

in TGM replay is one of the most feature that would be appreciated if available... and it seems that this is not a problem for Mihara (ARIKA).... so certainly exist on beta version... but not implemented on the final release... ($ ?)

ps : je suis situ Strasbourg (SXB)' et toi ?

10. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

Considering that it seems like the median rating on the Wi-fi network is, well, 5000, and that every player I've played has had a similar rating to me (with the exception of the odd 4000 player), I think there is a rival mode by default.

11. I'd like to see both recorded in the scoring system. They require a different tactic and therefor double the fun. With 25 line clear at first i was dissapointed not to see the time i got, but after a while i started to like the scoring, you start at 20G and try to get Tetrisses (B2B) only to perfect your score every time. If it would record both score and time you can try to beat both your records.

12. My bad then.
    (j'suis de Lausanne, en Suisse)

I'm around 6100 and I've often played against 5000 players :/ .

13. Stan64

Stan64 Unregistered

If it can't find anyone near you that is within 500 rating points it expands that search field downwards. I believe.

14. I guess so to, it takes if it takes long to get an opponent it's mostly one in 1 1k range, if you get one immidiatly it's a lower range ...

15. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

Sounds about right.

16. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Minor detail- I'd like to be able to select what music plays. I'm so sick of the SMB theme.

I'd very much like to have a "classic" mode that plays like classic GB tetris- steadily increasing speed, no infinite spin, etc.

17. I have to agree with all points here, but I think even a "string of 3 aligned rows of garbage at most" would be nice.

(that, and the points*level system not suddenly locking at 20 would be nice -- it makes getting a high score take days)

18. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Would it have broken the Guideline to make the lock delay slowly start decreasing after level 20 goes to 20G?

19. I... wasn't talking about lock delay.

I meant how...:

if (level > 20) bonus = linescore * 20

else bonus = linescore * level

(in effect, line scores never go up past 20)...

Also: I'd change the rating system. It is unbelievably dumb right now.

20. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

That's because it bases scoring on speedLevel, not level, where speedLevel is computed thus:
    Code:
    if (level > 20):
     speedLevel = 20
    else:
     speedLevel = level

You'd have to define the effects of a speedLevel > 20 in order to remove this code. That might involve decreasing the lock delay.

The "Tetris Points" single-player rating system (similar to an Xbox Live score) or the Elo-style WFC rating?