Training for death mode?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by angrycoder, 8 Jun 2007.

1. angrycoder

angrycoder Unregistered

Hi guys,

I'm a TAP noob who's whats to learn how to play death mode. I don't have any grand aspirations of making M or GM rank in a few weeks, but I am genuinely interested in learning how to play the game well.

I have been playing around with the practice mode in Heboris UE lite, using the 20g preset and cranking up the ARE so that I get a second to plan where I want to put my next piece. This has been useful for learning how the pieces move and when you can move pieces based on your current stack. When I trying to take what I've learned in practice mode and apply it to death, everything goes pear shaped quickly and I go into full on panic mode. This site has also been useful, http://www13.plala.or.jp/TETRiS_TGM/kouza/. I've scanned through it a couple of times, but it is a lot to absorb, and I wonder if its even possible to apply any of it when I am still in my noobish state. Kind of like trying to learn calculus while you are still taking algebra I.

So I am curious if anyone has any recommendations as to which, if any, modes in TAP or Heboris are useful when preparing for death mode. Should I just stick to master mode for a while until I can achieve at least M rank there? Or is the only way to learn death mode is by playing death mode until it clicks.

Thanks in advance for any tips anyone can offer.

2. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

That site is definitely VERY useful. You'll want to keep coming back to it as you progress. You might want to start out playing Master to prepare for the pressure in Death. However, don't be aiming for a M grade just yet. Concentrate on your stacking as the game speeds up.

In Heboris, Devil is the closest mode to Death. I started out playing Devil actually and then transitioned to Master. Some might say it's counterintuitive but it worked for me.

3. Welcome to the boards!

Death mode certainly isn't anything I'd recommend starting with. If you gave some specific details on your current achievements it would give me a better idea where you currently stand. How fast can you comfortably play? At any rate, you could probably benefit from playing Master mode or even TGM1. Perhaps even with the 20G code.

Feel free to upload some .inp or something.

4. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

@ Dig: That's what my friend did when he started out TGM, cause 20G is the only reason he plays Tetris :S But with his strong training in death, he can attain up to S5/6 on TAP Master now.

But if you want to practice using Heboris, I don't suggest cranking up/down anything neccessary. But if you want to overcome the great speeds of 20G with fast locktime, use practice mode and set the locktime to something you can downlock*. ARE gives you too much time already.

* If you can comfortably downlock at a certain lockrate, increase the locktime point by point until you come to a gameplay which is somewhat hard for you, then work on that. I can tell you after that training, Death 0-100 will be a piece of cake [​IMG]