SNES on LCD TVs

Thread in 'Discussion' started by wasmachstdugern, 19 Nov 2016.

1. does the SNES have same kind of lag on LCD TVs that the NES does? thanks!

2. The lag is not dependent on what you plug in your TV but rather on the LCD TV itself.

3. Muf

Muf

Yes. Both the NES and SNES output 256x240 pixels, which modern HDTVs are ill-equipped to handle.

4. great. i am was going to try and show up as a n00b and destroy these guys in denver at SNES vs but now i will have to relearn the speed... lol

5. There is no real speed difference and for SNes vs it should not really matter because input can be quite slow compared to level 18 Nes.

6. I agree with TGGC, for relatively slow speed it shoud not matter.
    I used to play TGM1 on an LCD TV before the eindhoven meeting, so I have some experience making the transition. Playing slowly you probably wont even notice the difference, it is only when you try to play as fast as possible that your timing gets messed up and you start to misdrop more.
    So just play a bit slower than normal during the first hour or so and you'll be fine :)

7. Well, if it's going to be Versus, then I disagree somewhat. Since Tetris + Dr. Mario has diagonal drop, the optimal way is to be holding Down (i.e., forcing Level 19 speed) as often as possible. And, either way, for proper movement you still have to contend with the DAS finesse (involves releasing the d-pad in a 6 frame window to maintain charge for the next piece). Any lag must be adjusted for, lest it shrink that wide timing window into something uncomfortable.

The frame timings in SNES Tetris are already pretty substantially different (slower), so adding lag on top of that is going to be obnoxious. ARE is ~25 frames (compared to NES's 10~18 range based on lock height), line clear is ~25 frames (more comparable to NES's 21~24 frame rule), and every piece gets 11 frames of pre-gravity time. If you're trying to play a bit slower, that already means you're probably not going to be soft drop cancelling out of pre-gravity. Add the feeling of lag to that and it's probably going to feel downright sluggish.

8. Terry, why is the LCD TV even an issue? You're playing NES Tetris, so I'd assume you already have a CRT.

9. Kitaru, thats not what I meant. Obviously its harder, but it is harder for everyone. So if he can destroy everyone on CRT he will on LCD, too. If your on the same level stacking wise, someone with more lag experience obviously has the edge in this particular case.

10. Someone else's setup at a tournament, I assume.

Yeah, it may also stand to effect the player pushing the game more so than someone playing comfortably at a lower skill level. Intermediate level players are plausibly not at a level where the latency differences have a significant enough impact on their ability (plus they may already be acclimated and not aware of the marginal gains afforded to them under lagless conditions), whereas Terry may be noticeably held back from his peak performance and more prone to execution mistakes if he attempts to play as usual. Holding back somewhat may be the correct play, but I'd say that somewhat slims the margin of advantage he may have over players that have already been playing under these conditions.