Playing at lower lock delays

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Poochy, 20 Apr 2010.

1. So for the past couple weeks, I've been trying to practice TI via NullpoMino, and I've discovered that I can quite consistently hit S5 at level 500 with 5 ST COOLs and minimal effort, but then I stop in my tracks as soon as the lock delay decreases below about 20 frames. (For an idea of the threshold, I can play TAP Death Mode 200-299 with no trouble at all, but 300+ or Master 900+ and I start to stumble.) I can still very easily think a minimum of one piece ahead; my problem is that I occasionally fail to execute the series of button presses fast enough, and by the time I realize that the block has already locked, the next one's already spawned, leading to a series of misdrops.

Are there any strategies (besides abusing step reset) to circumvent this problem, or do I just have to keep training so that I can execute movements with multiple rotations faster?

2. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

See in which category of player you are.
    Fast and young player can beat the lock delay with a big number of input because their brain allow it, older and slow players use their experience with more advanced and optimized moves to avoid the lock delay closing.

This is my suggestion : you can work to reduce your number of input in exploating the wallkicks (you probably now that "triple tap" should be NEVER used at ANY time when you have a complete knowledge of wallkicks), practice the 2x rotation to make fast 2x rot input.

3. Yeah, Amnesia is right that the other dimension of the matter is discovering more conservative or efficient placements rather than go for the familiar one that may be a bit tricky to input at high speeds. You'll probably be able to react faster with practice and be able to pull out those risky maneuvers now and then if you need them, but you'll probably also learn how to play with a more conservative style at times so you're not constantly stressed.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

It is a very long path to learn these moves AND perform its in real game without thinking.

You can first practice these 2 ones if you still don't use it :

1 : The I : the I never need any "tap tap" wherever you place it.
    Exemple 1 : you want to place it at the 9th row :
    Code:
    Full DAS to the right wall,neutral,then just A button
    Exemple 2 : you want to place it at the 2nd row (basic one) :
    Code:
    IRS+Full DAS to the left then one tap to the right.
    2 : The L/J : these pieces need a tap tap for 1 intermediate position if you want it verticaly, but the 9 other positions can be reached by "instant" and short maneover.
    Exemple 1 : L on 8th row :
    Code:
    Full DAS to the right wall, one tap left then B or A button
    Exemple 2 : L on 9th row :
    Code:
    Full DAS to the right wall, neutral, then B.
    3 : The S/Z and T : these pieces work in a similar way, the moves comes alone once you feel it with the I, J and L

4 : The 0 : there is nothing to say for this one...

If you practice the wall interaction like I describe here, then you will start without thinking to perform optimized maneuvers in considering the interactions with the stack, which is too much boring to describe without a ton of animation.

You have to be prepared for a total review of your gameplay which may seems boring and frustrating to you, but it is a necessary point to become a TAP MASTER M I think.

A direct and mathematical proof that you should learn these moves :
    imagine a several move at DEATH 300, you know it is tight because the precedent one made you excited so you are afraid, even if it is not a too much complicated one, imagine for a same move, I will need 3 inputs and you 4, that gives me 25% of additionnal time and 25% of avoided risks to quietly place the tetrimino.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2010
  5. yeah, it's basically looking at your movement finesse and doing two things.
    -for moves that are "somewhat complex", drill them into your head so that you can do them without thinking. This means you will be more comfortable with actually performing the move, but also will not have to concentrate on the active piece so much, therefore you won't be caught off-guard by the subsequent piece.
    -for moves that are "too complex", learn to avoid them altogether (with the possible exception of if you're about to die and that's the -only- move that will probably save you).

The threshold between "somewhat complex" and "too complex", is of course, very variable, both in terms of lock delay and playstyle. But keep in mind that even if you can execute a move pretty consistently, it doesn't mean it's a "safe" move. Having to rely on tracking the piece while you're placing it is generally a no-no because you'll be caught off-guard by the next piece. Hence why I'm slowly (very very slowly T_T) trying to wean myself off of triple-rotate moves.

Amnesia is basically saying learn the most efficient finesse for each placement, which of course is also necessary. Abuse wallkicks!

Some moves which for me fall into the "somewhat complex" category:
    -T-spins
    -Conspiracy kicks with J pieces
    -after placing an S with column 5 high, placing an L by doing left, rotate ccw (wallkick!), right. similarly with Z/J.

Some moves which for me fall into the "too complex" category (but I still do them anyways T_T):
    -doubletaps without resetting lock delay
    -triple-rotate moves with Ls and Js

i actually find 20G finesse easier than 0G finesse, but that's probably because I only play death mode xD

Some things you may want to do, are analyze your replays to see which of your moves are "potentially dangerous" ones, or play games with unlimited lock delay and limit yourself to placements that are "not dangerous".

6. COL

COL

I 've been double-tapping A LOT, it seems I have to learn everything again... After some tries, I could clearly save seconds by preventing myself to do these moves but what a messy stack... any general advice?

7. Analyze the stack for which you would normally do a double-tap, and think of the best sub-optimal placement that is easier to execute.

8. Yeah, all the above advice is good. I have a horrible playstyle with ridiculous fast input skills, and I hate to tell you that you will reach a point where it is not only difficult to do some triple tap maneuvers but also humanly impossible: Shirase 1200 speed. I am absolutely stuck there because my playstyle simply does not allow me to place pieces at such a tiny lock delay.

9. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Nice to hear that, actually it seems that there is a justice in this world.
    Yesterday, on the keyboard, I realised that DEATH 400 was for me the ultimate limit where I can make triple tap, and only if I don't waste any part of the cycle time of the tetrimino. With a joystick, I could barely triple tap at DEATH 500 but then my hands are too stressed for the next move.

For people who struggle with this new guideline of optimized moves we are proposing and suggesting, I would advice to practice these moves on MASTER MODE, at a very slow speed, try to execute its : input by input to well understand the mechanisms, there is no need to know by heart every matrixes of rotation of each tetrimino.

The 2 first basic one I insist on are :
    - The I verticaly at the 3rd row
    Code:
    Full DAS left ; neutral ; 1 rotation
    - The I verticaly at the 9th row
    Code:
    Full DAS right ; neutral ; 1 rotation

Currently I am forcing NoTGhost's brain to make here assimilate these 2 ones.
    Once you feel confortable with these 2 one, I promised you that the next moves will easily come.

10. K

K

11. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Celle la je l'ai ajouté à mes favoris direct.:biggrin:

12. I still double tap a lot. And I mean a lot.
    Getting an I to the left at high speed 20G is pretty hard when you need to double tap and your stack isn't set up for it.