Keyboard VS joystick

Thread in 'Hardware' started by invincibler, 4 Jun 2009.

1. invincibler

invincibler Unregistered

Does keyboard become a limiting factor as you increase your TPM?

2. Muf

Muf

I find I can drop pieces faster with the keyboard, but twists and other trick moves are much easier and faster with the joystick. You can rotate pieces so fast (assuming you have Sanwa buttons and not the dinky Hori ones that come stock in an HRAP) you can easily do a 360 degree rotation in Shirase. Not that you ever need to, but you can.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

maximum TPS in TC with a joystick : me with 3,2 TPS

maximum TPS in TC with a keyboard : maserati with 4 TPS

End of the story..

4. not if you're playing typomino [​IMG]

5. invincibler

invincibler Unregistered

Typomino [​IMG] But seriously, I looked at the top people at tetrisfriends, and their TPM is so fast. Even if I hold the sideway keys, I can't even get it to move to the furthest side without taking like 0.3 seconds. With that amount of time, those guys drop like 2?? So I'm quite stumped. Also, I'm stuck at 1:10 for 40 lines. I just can't seem to cut it down anymore. Annoying [​IMG]

edit: btw, what's TC?

6. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

TC = TetrisConcept, here, the forum, which gathers today 98% of the best western players, and few japan player, less than 10...

7. invincibler

invincibler Unregistered

lol. I just started my tetris adventure, so I don't know much yet [​IMG] I thought it's the name of a game or smth. Anyways, any suggestions on how I can possibly improve that score? 1:10 in 40 lines.

8. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

So many people ask this question..
    I am not the best person here to reply with technical and usefull advice..
    First I would say : PRACTICE
    Do you use the 2 buttons for rotating the pieces ?
    Sometime it is important to work on the accuracy of your placement, try to stack properly, in order to make properly tetrises on the right..
    I say "right" because I am a player who play tetris games which requier to make tetrises on the right..But some damn fast "40 lines" players stack with the hole in the middle..Also, it is evident that you have to clear your 40 line run with less possible block on your field to save some seconds..This is the reason I tell you to play properly and clean..Sometime, it is good to practice in pushing yourself at maximum speed to increase your effective TPM..
    I hear that you play on Tetrisfriend, I suggest you to find Lockjaw, this game will allow you to set more accurate parameters which will help you to play in better conditions.

Here is the video of maserati, the best known reference at 4 TPS on Blockbox :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIJWtMb9xWE

Here is another different example : this one has been done slightly less fast, by DIGITAL, but the game run at 20G (instant drop), on Lockjaw :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6usBkpVi ... annel_page

and mine because fuck.. [​IMG] I am not dead yet.. [​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mj4Ia07hrc

9. invincibler

invincibler Unregistered

Well, I ask because I can't seem to keep up with the gravity, especially in tetrisfriends marathon mode. They drop before I have the chance to move them to the sides, so I have to use infinite kick exploit to move the piece wheer I want it:(

If you see me play on tetrisfriends, you'll see me tap furiously, as it's faster then holding the button.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

That is the reason I suggest you to play Lockjaw, or Block box (a java game).
    In these game, you can set the side speed and the DAS, the DAS is the thing which allow you to tap tap a tetrimino or make it burst to a side if you hold the button a several moment..

11. invincibler

invincibler Unregistered

okay. What's your suggested settings then?

12. tapping > DAS in most cases for tetrisfriends. you want to avoid waiting for das to charge whenever possible. for example, charging das during line clears.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Usually, the side speed is 1G by default, on Lockjaw and Block box for exemple. I don't know exactely how to interpret it but it always worked very fine..
    (I think it means that the piece will advance at 1 case/frame which is damn fast)
    To make the tetrimino going to the side at this speed, you have to press the direction during a period equivalent to the DAS,
    if you press during a moment < DAS, your piece will do a tap and advance by one 1 case only.
    if you press and hold the button during a moment > DAS, your piece will go fast to the wall at the sideway speed (1G for us, but I don't know what is the value on TF..)

Usualy, I use a DAS at 7 or 8 frames, and fastest players can go until 4 or 5, but the more your DAS is low, the more you have to be accurate with your finger ! because some time you will want to do a tap tap, and accidently you will charge the DAS and your piece will move more than you want. If your DAS is too high, the game will be too slow, it is your current pb on TF..So you have to play, test and adjust it until you find your optimal value.

First, find Lockjaw somewhere in google, the creator of the game is Tepples if you want to PM him. Then, once Lockjaw runs on your PC, we will see it more in details..

14. Muf

Muf

Amnesia, in case you didn't know; Maserati uses keyboard macros to perform certain moves, just like caffeine did for iminlikewithyou blockles. As far as I know it isn't considered cheating, but I wouldn't use his videos as a demonstration, as his KPT is way too high. Someone like Jono, although slightly slower, plays without macros and his KPT is subsequently lower.

15. I keep hearing that, but what macros exactly is maserati using?

16. Muf

Muf

No idea, all I know is this:
    Maserati: 4.91 KPT
    Jono: 3.04 KPT

And on that note, I just noticed Jono is actually faster than Maserati again [​IMG] It's a close top two there on the leaderboard.

17. I was told that Maserati binds buttons to useless functions and basically just mashes useless buttons to raise his KPT.

18. invincibler

invincibler Unregistered

I insist on rambling about TF bcoz u can't change anything besides buttons. If so, how does the top 10 people do it so fast? Macros?

Anyways, I have messed around with lockjaw and blockbox, they're both pretty nice, although lockjaw is too techie for me atm.

Also, I find that it's hard to look to next pieces in blockbox, coz the place it's placed is just out of my unconcious view. Any suggestions??

btw, what're the best modes to train?

last question, what's 8-way controls?

19. Muf

Muf

Blink can be so fast because he taps the keys faster than the autorepeat. "Normal" people probably need macros to side shift that fast.

20. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

HA HA HA [​IMG] I was copy pasting the link on this video at the SAME moment.. [​IMG]