Wiimote Tetris

Thread in 'Discussion' started by jjdb210, 3 Jan 2007.

1. jjdb210

jjdb210 Unregistered

So the last few days I've been playing around with bluetooth and my wiimote. I've done a few things that are kind of fun, including but not limited to:

1) Running GlovePie as a map between the wiimote and lockjaw to play using the wiimote (wireless fun baby). The response times felt a little slow, and I think that was due to glovepie (namely because of my next point).

2) I've started working on a C based program that isn't a scripting language like glovepie... Quick and fast, and it's response times feel great. Maybe I'll even throw in some motion sensing for some weird tetris block movements... (like the rotation of your wrist, wouldn't that be weird...)

Of course its never as fast as a keyboard, but just something fun to play with other than a keyboard if you have a usb bluetooth adapter and a wiimote laying around....

Of course, you could just load up some flash tetris on the wii itself, and play that way [​IMG].

2. *imagines pointing to the controls and clicking them with the Wiimote*

>_<

3. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

I felt selfish to actually ask one of you guys to make a flash <that game> based on mouse gestures and clicks only [​IMG] But seeing it as a possibility, maybe Wiicade already has it, it could be great. TGM would be fun with my "imaginative" version of <that game>, as mentioned in the other thread.. Seeing as carpal tunnel is one of the reasons why I stopped training, I'm just hoping for something that doesn't hurt my wrists..

OT:

Btw, Wiimote isn't exactly carpal tunnel friendly [​IMG] The weight + tendons lifting it up.

And about the bluetooth + computer thingie, it requires the use of the sensor bar right?

4. jjdb210

jjdb210 Unregistered

The sensor bar is only needed if you are trying to do actual pointing... The accelerometers works just fine without it (meaning you can still control the mouse, although not near as easily).

Otherwise, who says you have to make use of either of the features... I like the fact that it's a wireless gamepad with good response time, and isn't something I didn't already own [​IMG]. (did that last sentence make sense)

5. Cubicz

Cubicz Unregistered

I've spent a few hours playing with my mates Wii, and to be blunt, I don't think this would work. The Wii just doesn't seem that responsive, or accurate. Playing Wii Tennis, you just wave it around any which way how and It swings the same way. With golf, you can wave it in a circle above your head and it swings. Those are bad examples, that could be restrictions of the game, not the hardware, but I just get the feeling it doesn't, i dunno. I was underwhelmed by it.

for Wii Tetris you would need very subtle movements to register very accurately, if moving the piece side to side for example.

6. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Well, that's the little spoiler about the Wii Sports / Wiimote mechanics, it's very simple actually as you explained, but to others it may seem like you really have to swing it correctly. I'm not sure about Wii Tennis, but the actual angle of which you hold the wiimote does affect the height of the ball, and I believe the speed of the swing DOES make a difference in ball speed, I've seen a friend do it. Same applied to bowling, faster bowl, faster ball. (more dive while bowling with the wiimote)

I understand what you feel because you know, as a gamer, you want to understand and master the game as quickly. I don't actually tell my other gamer friends(in M'sia, it's PlayStation land) how it works, and the best part about letting someone play, is to tell them to play Wii Sport, like an actual sports game.

I've been hearing about homebrew for the Wii, jjdb? You making something? Or just for the CPU?

7. @jjdb210: i have a WII now, and am very interested in your c-software!

any release candidate yet? or public beta?

i have something in mind. namely: controlling Blockout using the wii-controller.

@all:

1. any suggestions about virtual console games that are actually worth their money (i think they are mostly way to expensive, you can get - with some luck - on ebay full gamecube games cheaper.. )

currently i have

* bomberman - nothing to say, real classic, fun multiplayer

* solomons key: brainbreaking puzzler, nice difficulty, but pooor graphics...

2. any suggestions about good wii-games?

just have wiiplay and wiisports...

8. This reminds me of when I first got my PowerBook and wanted so badly to use the built-in bluetooth in conjunction with my Wavebird controller. At the time, I couldn't find any evidence on the internet that anyone else had even had the same idea.

When I heard that the Xbox 360 and PS3 would both have wireless controllers, I got excited again, hoping that this fact would bring my dream one or two steps closer to reality. However, your little project here is the first I've heard of anyone moving in that direction.

9. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Sideways or downward motion while holding B: Move tetromino

Rotation about front-back axis while holding B: Turn tetromino

A: Hold

How well would that work?

10. Probably about as good as dance pad Tetris. Which is to say, it doesn't really work well but it can be kind of fun. Pretty much every wiimote scheme is doomed to end up this way IMO.

11. Badly.

I predict a 29% misdrop rate.

12. @tepples: do not forget: the wii has a mini digital-pad on it. so i would suggest moving and dropping piece with the dpad, and all rotations done by rotating the wii.

especially for blockout this would be a real help for novices! the biggest problem for blockout is mind-mapping the qwe, asd rotations around each spatial axis..

with the WII this could be nearly intuitive.

i hope to get my bluetooth usb stick tomorrow! then i will try to test my wii controller with my pc.

13. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

can the wiimote tell if it is upside down? If you hole it so its standing up, is it possible to ditect when it rotates? If you can these things you could get a really cool control scheme going for block out... Just think about rotating the wiimote like a blockout piece...

14. mat

mat

i think if BPS does wii tetris (and i'd be surprised if they didn't given the DS success) they'll use the dpad for movement and a/b for rotation (that is, holding it sideways) but with the option for a bunch of the aforementioned schemes. and the kicker would be whatever silly "wiitris" mode they decide on. that is, i would imagine the core game being left relatively unchanged with the "innovative" in a separate game mode--ala touch puzzles. look forward to it. i got to play the wii for the first time this weekend--nifty!

15. Two words: hat switch [​IMG]

But seriously, the d-pad could be used for rotation, and then the movement of the pad can be used for dropping.

Or you could even try to play Blockout. d-pad provides 4 rotations and the other buttons 2, then the moventnt is up down left right, and forward drops. Or maybe even use the d-pad to move the piece, moving the pad around in space rotates, and pressing one of the buttons drops.

16. got my usb-bluetooth adapter today. but sadly, it is not fully compatible with glovepie and wiimote. and originial driver installation failed. just got generic windows xp bluetooth drivers running - and these seem to be buggy. as well as these www.bluesoleil.com drivers fail for me, too.

with glovepie and generic winxp drivers, i can let the wiimote LED's blink, but thats it. no accelerometer readout etc. anyone having the same problem?