Whats the best Tetris game for you?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by KillerMiller, 22 Mar 2006.

1. KillerMiller

KillerMiller Unregistered

For me its clearly Sega Tetris for Dreamcast/Arcade.

Man, this game is so totally underrated/unknown.

It has a brilliant VS Mode where you dont just get garbage lines but different attacks, so if you make a double for example your enemy has to fuse 2 pieces into 1 big.

For a split double (a double with a uncleared line between them)

a rocket destroys random pieces and so on.

The system really works and doesnt give campers a bit of a chance.

The whole game looks extremely fine with full 3D graphics, sometimes even moving backgrounds.

You can choose different characters with doesnt make a difference but its cool anyway.

If you have a Dreamcast or your a big fan of Tetris you have to try this game, for me its simply the best Tetris (and I played nearly every version).

2. ??!???!!

Whoa man, Sega Tetris is my favourite VS Tetris. Do you know how to unlock all the UFO dolls? I've got most of them, but not all for some reason. Maybe I have to play Single player for that... I don't like that whole Slot Machine concept they use so I've neglected it. I swear I've plowed through on the hardest difficulty without continuing though.

Anyhow, YES! This game has awesome VS. I find it much more interesting than the standard VS.

3. Guest

Guest Unregistered

I am missing 2 Characters too.

So far I have:

Monkey - 2 out of 4 extra colors.

Chicken - 2 extra colors.

Dog - 2 extra colors.

Japanese girl - 2 extra colors.

Large Girl - extra colors.

Robotic Frog - 2 extra colors.

Voodoo look a like guy - 2 extra colors.

I only know that you get the extra colors after beat the CPU Vs Game with a new color Character.

My theory is, that in marathon mode, you have to survive the timelimit after clearing 200 lines, but it gets so freaking fast then, I didnt survived it lol.

But its great the hear that there is someone how knows about this gem [​IMG]

4. I cant say I have played Tetris on the Dreamcast, sounds good though. I'm not that sure which version of Tetris is my favorite, I really like Super Tetris 3 and Tetris DX. But I have not yet played either on the actual cartridge only through an emulator. I really have to get some money together and get a copy of DX, DS and maybe a handful of others.

- Jono

5. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my favourite:

Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 PLUS

*phew*

Seriously though, it's a sweet game. I prefer Sega Tetris's multiplayer, but for single player it's unbeatable. Killer Miller, you should give it a try. It shares the same rotation system and piece colours as Sega Tetris!

6. tetris ds all the way ;]

7. KillerMiller

KillerMiller Unregistered

Yeah, I know Tetris Grand Master 2, I play it on MAME sometimes.

It plays very nice and fluid, I would like to play Grandmaster 3, but it isnt emulated and only available for Xbox 360 in Japan (and Arcade of course).

I dont have Tetris DS yet, but what I hear is that is has the same garbage system like the GB one?

And whats up with that screenshots were you see powerups like red shell?

I dont like the old garbage system too much, its and old system wich has been made better by Sega Tetris in all ways.

Grand Master 2 has an powerup system + garbage wich is better than the old too.

8. tds's garbage system is different than the original game boy's system. it's not completely random, but it definitely works more randomly. i don't really play items mode so often, and i'm not really that turned on by what i hear of sega tetris's versus mode-- sounds like a bunch of funky gimmicks to worry about. i like plain vanilla-- your garbage versus my garbage play. it may not look like a lot, but there's so much depth in it-- i find it very challenging and satisfying.

9. oman

oman Unregistered

Anyone fond of this version? I actually knew the guy who programmed it. (sadly he is no longer with us. http://www.bretz.ca/dave/

I really don't like gimicky tetris games much myself but I thought the 4x4 block fusing in this was the most non-intrusive of the gameplay additions I've seen.

10. You knew him, oman? TNT was one of my favorites-- I used to play it a lot.

11. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Yeah... I knew him back when we were in to the pc demo scene. I actually got to hang out with him and the lead programmer for tetrisphere a long time ago. Smart guy. Is TNT the first version to add the piece hold?

12. oman

oman Unregistered

Yeah... I knew him back when we were in to the pc demo scene. I actually got to hang out with him and the lead programmer for tetrisphere a long time ago. Smart guy. Is TNT the first version to add the piece hold?

13. unless you count tetrisphere...

14. K

K

i was searching about "TetriSphere" on the forum and found this post...

it is Still my favorite VS "puzzle" game... i've read the page about David Pridie. i didn't knew that the song Martist was refering to his pseudonyme. I feel strange cause i was listening TetriSphere OST (Neil D. Voss composer) yesterday... [​IMG]

15. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

It's really weird that I was just thinking about Tetrisphere this morning, since we were discussing virtual console downloads for the Nintendo Wii.

You guys really need to stop climbing into my mind.

16. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

DTET for the win.

I'm seriously stuck on this game, and I can't play Tetris DS(multiplayer especially) anymore because of the slow spawning time in the 10x22 field. It just comes out so slow, I need to see the full piece and I don't use ghost.

Me> Needs help badly to get back on track with Tetris DS [​IMG]

I also like the VS. mode because it accepts combos. 4 players is pretty frantic.

Love the metallic blocks too, and the sound effects they use in the game. The loud metal on metal sound, the combo linking sounds. Just great. (please skin for LockJaw, hehe)

17. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Sorry about asking like that, I know I'm not supposed to, but..

We don't have of these machines here in Malaysia. Tho I'll have to try harder.

18. I haven't been able to find any information online that indicates that TGM2 is included in MAME. Does it play any faster on the same hardware than the first TGM? Probably not, but one can always hope.

19. Guest

Guest Unregistered

the best tetris game ive ever played: tetrinet2

20. Guest

Guest Unregistered

It was removed at Arika's request, but people who already had it didn't delete it obviously [​IMG].

I couldn't comment on its performance as I only have the orginal (which runs like ass in mame and flawlessly in zinc).