Vote for Tetris!

Thread in 'Discussion' started by wksrdg, 6 Oct 2007.

1. Hey guys, some of you people will be glad to see this:

http://www.worldcybergames.com/poll/selection2008.asp

Scroll down the page for a pleasant surprise! You have to select two games from each category to cast a vote though.

p.s. After reading the tetris splash thread could this be the reason that they are trying to make a tetris game accessible to beginners and also suited for competitive play? Having non-trivial DAS and offering both soft and hard drop seem to be useful additions for non-20G tetris.

2. Ideally, they'd make competitive games with customisable DAS and scroll speed, so that the speed of a player is limited only to the player's skill, and not the game mechanics.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I do remember one Tetris brand game with customizable DAS: Tetrisphere. It had seven different bots (predecessor of Mino creatures?), each with a different speed: the faster it can move the cursor, the slower it can drag pieces. Likewise, characters in Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Kart series have characters with tradeoffs for speed vs. something else. If Tetris for Wii incorporates Mario elements, would we have Donkey Kong vs. Toad rivalries?

On the other hand, when Mr. Rogers first mentioned tetrion customization in "Tetris from the Top", I was thinking he meant "buy" as in "you start with a basic tetrion and win matches against harder and harder CPU opponents and spend credits on upgrades", like in auto racing simulators for consoles, or "you have to earn tetrion upgrades by doing things other than stacking tetrominoes", like in Shenmue or Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing. I didn't know he meant the Korean-style model of buying upgrades with real money.

4. kbr420

kbr420 Unregistered

VOTE FOR IT!

guess what, I'm actually here at WCG right now, its pretty nice to see a well organized gaming tournament

5. How come other games have their titles listed so specifically yet "Tetris" has no version listed at all? Are they going to bring out a rusting Russian Elektronika 60 just for the occasion or something?

Also, this poll allows for impossible combinations of games and platforms, eg. Ace Combat 6 for the PC.

6. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

I voted for tetris, i thought that they were missing some games from the list for other categories tho...

7. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

The boxes are grayed out for the impossible ones.

8. Ah, my bad.

Then again, I see that Xbox is grayed out for Tetris. Does this mean this rules out Evolution, Splash, TGMA or Worlds as the competition game? What official games are out for the PC anyways? Zone doesn't support online versus, TOJ is region-locked, and Elements and Worlds are ancient.

9. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

That is strange. I could have sworn the Xbox option was present yesterday when I checked.

10. Playing Tetris at WCG is like my favorite wet dream.

11. A true multiplayer competitive Tetris (I got TGM for the monoplayer part). I wish it was something else than a dream.

12. kbr420

kbr420 Unregistered

would any of you guys/gals enter the tournament at WCG if Tetris was there?

13. Depends on the location and the implementation used.

14. Lol, I have a fair bit of money saved away for this exact reason [​IMG]
    So thats a hell yeah for me!

- Jono

15. kbr420

kbr420 Unregistered

Jono,

You wouldn't need too much money, if you are a finalist and I think you'd become one if there was Tetris involved, they'd fly you and give you a hotel. This goes for all Grand Finalists. The finals next year will be in Germany.

16. cool! as i am from germany, i could be a spectator. do you know the exact town where it will happen?

17. Germany is certainly close enough for me to consider it. It depends where it fits in with education and things though. We could see dominance from Tetrisconcept's European select [​IMG]

18. kbr420

kbr420 Unregistered

I believe it should be in Colone...idk if thats how to spell the it

19. You certainly meant Cologne (in french) or Kln (in german).

20. Yeah, Cologne is what the site said.

Should be good for me, because I can get a flight there pretty easily.

Providing I can qualify in the UK trials. It will probably depend what game they use, and how the DAS and rotation is set up.