Video of the Tetris DS "I" block cheater

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 17 May 2006.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Here's the vid:

putfile

google video

I started actually trying to win (after fumbling for camera and then taking some video) around match 12. I beat him on match 20 and he quit.

Watch as his blocks start normal but change to "I" blocks a split second after the match starts.

edit: Here's a second vid. It ends abruptly as the camera runs out of room:

putfile

google video

edit2: Added google videos and "linkified" the links.

edit3: Someone else posted the video on youtube.

2. K

K

impressive !! [​IMG]

3. nice work. this is going front page. =]

i can't believe he still hasn't figured out the fastest way to stack them-- all the way left and right horizontally, then two vertically in the middle. so simple. he's horrible at clearing garbage, too.

4. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Yes, he SUCKS at dealing with garbage. I only really got to play him about 6 times (first 14 I was finding/dealing with camera), and after I won, he quit. He is a TERRIBLE player.

5. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I posted on the Nintendo forums in the Tetris forum and the general WiFi forum, and both threads got deleted. I also pm'd every NOA guy about it (with links to the vids).

6. Wait, what?

Conspiracy theories abound, but the first thing I thought when I read this was that some NOA mod or admin is doing it... I mean, deleting them outright? What?

7. Nintendo simply advises to disconnect or leave after the game. They cannot control this type of hacks i think. There's never anything done about the Mario Kart track unlock mod, nothing about the Animal Crossing besides a warning email.

8. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Because track unlocks are not cheating, as all players are racing on the same track. It'd be like unlocking TDS mission mode for Wi-Fi play. That is, unless you count taking advantage of the fact that other players may not have practiced the track in single player vs. CPU to be cheating.

9. "If the last four pieces this player dropped are all I pieces, instantly disconnect user and give other play the win"

Not terribly hard, and that's only one of many solutions -- this one's probably the easiest.

10. tepples

Given a sufficiently random number generator, there's a 1 in 2401 chance that my next four pieces will be I. So what happens after I've played (on average) 2401 pieces, creating 960 lines? Or should the RNG special case that?

11. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Just send him garbage as fast as you can.. he's easy to deal with...

TGM-Liem

12. Most RNGs in Tetris games tend to be fixed to prevent long strings of pieces.

Generally, I have yet to encounter any particular instance of a string longer than this occuring...

13. yeah, i dont' remember ever getting more than two in a row of the same piece. does anyone?

14. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Does anyone know how he's doing it? I don't want specifics (like to try to replicate it), I'm just curious.

15. Generally, I have yet to encounter any particular instance of a string longer than this occuring...[/quote]

I have a video of 4 Tetrises in a row in TGM1, though I'm too lazy to upload it anywhere. This is doubly significant if you know how the TGM randomizer works. (And now, as I mention every time somethign remotely related to this pop up....)

Maybe I should just start a thread about it.

16. Whoa, forum glitch. I didn't play with the size tags at all. Should we report that to a dev team somewhere or something? It was caused by opening a colour tag inside a quote and closing it outside the quote.

17. I would imagine he would just be using some kind of game shark or game genie?

- Jono

18. Shirase

Shirase Unregistered

That's the thing. To my knowlege, there isn't any cheating device for the DS. Just a save state loader. Unless he's using that somehow.

Whatever it is, I think it's too much trouble to be worth it.

19. tepples

If you dump the game to CompactFlash using a SuperCard and then hex edit the ROM image, you can screw with the RNG.