UK magazine Tetris feature.

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ex_Mosquito, 11 Sep 2007.

1. Here's a feature on Tetris printed in UK magazine RETRO GAMER.

Its about the competition between two Tetris players for the high score on the old atari Tetris acade game. I wonder if these guys know about the TGM series?

Forgive me for the poor quailty i dont have a scanner so i took these with my mobile phone. Its still readable, though.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/tetrismag/

Enjoy

2. Is this from the current issue?

3. sweet, i love this kind of stuff. thanks mosquito.

4. Am I alone in thinking that Atari's Tetris has aged particularly badly compared to other Tetris games? I can see why people would still play, say, Robotron or Tempest for score, but it's a little strange to play such a poor game. Kudos to these guys I guess, but someone should really show them what 20 years has done to the game.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

6. mat

mat

i was at this hip punk club for a show this weekend, and they had a number of arcade games set up around the bar and around the stage--one of them was the atari tetris, and i was very pleased to see a number of people (including myself) throughout the night very excited to play side by side with their friends and loved ones. people were so proud of themselves when they did well and livid when they made mistakes. it was pretty awesome. basically it confirmed for me that a TGM machine could be successful in the states.

in other news, i hate that game. one rotation is infuriating enough, but you add that wacky I rotation and the lack of a decent scoring scheme (infinite coins=infinite score) and you've got yourself a pain in the yellow square.

7. Air Gear

Air Gear Unregistered

Even though this is only related to what you said and not the original topic...I'd think that the rules would need to be adjusted for the audience in the States. With a TGM-style thing, it'd be a necessity to have, say, a spectacularly variable level curve (as in much more variable than TGM3's) and all of the extra little floor kicks and such to make life easier.

Otherwise we're stuck at 1g tops and I don't think any of us here want that [​IMG]

8. Its not that bad.........

I have an old Jamma arcade cab running it.

Though I have not played it on over 6 months [​IMG]

- Jono