Tips for a average nooby player

Thread in 'Discussion' started by soilmaster, 22 Oct 2008.

1. soilmaster

soilmaster Unregistered

I essentially started playing tetris properly when a friend recommended tetris ds, and got okay at it, I can beat the cpu level 4 pretty easy ( FINALLY!), and got 6000+ online rating after playing for a a few hours (I mean online).

BUT! since i dont have wifi anymore tetris ds became boring so i started playing tepples' freakin awesome tetris homebrew for the ds. So heres a little info on my accomplishments, all on default settings:

- marathon i usually die after about 280 lines, trying to get 300 at the moment.
    - average keys per piece 4.4
    - 9.4 garbage per minute

Now I dont usuallu care too much about the numbers I just wanna SURVIVE a little longer so I wanted to know if you guys have any tips. My problem is that after like 260 lines the drop lock speed goes insane low and I start missdropping like a bitch ( ...).

Anyway these are the routes I can see at the moment:

- practicing those hard ass key movement katas to become more efficient
    - taking of the infinite spin thing ( not that I use it spam it lame style anyway)
    - start at that speed and just try to last longer
    - actually study the combos for super fast line clearing the garbage when i miss drop ( like sticking a z piece to clear the way to a hole below etc.

any help at all appreciate and I hope you guys don't think too shit to even talk to haha

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

with a name like soilmaster? no [​IMG][​IMG]

welcome to the forum. it's always good to see another tetris enthusiast.

it's hard to measure your Lockjaw marathon survival against others, because the overwhelming majority of Lockjaw records posted here are for 40 lines or 180 seconds. but 280 lines sounds like a good high number.

as far as training to survive longer, i would advise that you practice with either death or rhythm 20G speedcurves. if you jump right into instant gravity, you'll learn how to deal with it much more quickly. then when you go back to marathon you'll be more comfortable with the speed increases.

3. It would be nice to see some 40 and 180 scores from you, but I'll guess that you're close to my level. 280 lines is about my stumbling point as well. Lock delay starts dropping after 600 pieces. 700 pieces (280 lines) is where it gets really fast for me. As for KPM, I woudln't worry about it jsut yet. That will inflate slightly if you are doing marathon, because of the 20g starting at 600 pieces.

Keep at it, though. Eventually, you will improve...