Theoretical TC addition: Replay Central

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 18 Feb 2008.

1. Sometimes I'm known to think outside the box, and I just had an idea I thought was pretty cool. You know how a couple ideas were going around about an automated record-keeping page? I didn't like the idea, but what about something like that, but for replays? They're entertaining, informative, and most importantly they're motivating. The best part is that replays are very lightweight on the server, and it's not like TC would ever need to host an actual clone.

Right now most people stash them on the wiki or some temporary file-hosting site, but wouldn't it be so much better if that was all organized into one place on TC? I'm no PHP/whatever expert, but I'm thinking they could be organized by application, version, date, mode, score, time, etc. This way, it's not like it's a leaderboard that could be cheated and would require a strict eye to make sure it's fair. It would be just a casual place for people to get their fix (and possibly motivate newer players to start playing more).

There's plenty of examples out there already: [1][2][3]. What do you guys think of the idea? Do you think it would be useful? Any ideas where to get started?

2. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Hmm... Maybe make an alternate phpbb_()register page that has a uploader code? And an alternate phpbb_()memberlist that would show the replays?

3. Muf

Muf

No modding/hacking of phpBB. This would have to be a separate package.

4. It would be useful. Would perhaps encourage me to make a few more replays when I play.

However, Mame ones would have to be well-organised, as replays between different versions tend not to work so well.

5. jujube

jujube Unregistered

sounds like a good idea caffeine, if you can get it set up.

it's the same way with Lockjaw replays, and probably most games. but caffeine did mention that they should be organized by version, among other things. the bigger issue with MAME i think is the availability of all the versions.