The true evangelism...

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Muf, 2 Apr 2009.

1. Muf

Muf

[​IMG]

2. I still dont know what ARS is exactly... in contrast to SRS.

3. jujube

jujube Unregistered

oh come on muf, you know it was really
    I [​IMG] LARDARSE

you don't have to hide your true feelings anymore.

corrosive: aside from the initial orientations of the pieces and colors being different, ARS uses a more basic wallkick table and limited floorkicks. it also uses step reset lock delay rather than "infinite spin". there are a few pages at the wiki that describe all of these things.

4. If you rotate a piece in mid-air in ARS you'll see that the bottom of the piece stays on the same row (except the I), not so for SRS.
    This means that none of the pieces will kick off the floor just by rotating, except in TGM3 with the I and T (once per piece.)
    In SRS the pieces spawn with the "flat" side down, in ARS it's the opposite.
    Also ARS has fewer wallkicks than SRS. In general this means that in 20G, ARS is more limited and challenging but has some (arguably) useful moves that are hard or impossible in SRS.

(was typing this when jujube edited his post, oh well I'm posting this anyway)

5. In single-player, ARS makes the game extremely challenging. SRS makes it piss-easy.

All the other differences are merely technicalities.

6. SRS is like "hey, let's do bullshit moves like climb over pieces."

ARS cuts the BS, save for pre-TGM3 ARS that makes I's my worst nightmare in 20G.

7. jujube

jujube Unregistered

8. But with SRS being good is optional. With ARS it's a requirement. And it's not like there aren't faster runs than that with ARS.

All TGM modes are a lot easier with SRS. The challenges of Shirase and things like the Team modes on Blockbox are almost completely neutralised by using SRS.

9. Step reset makes them completely different games, especially with Shirase 1200-1300. Even the best World players seem to abuse the system to some extent. But despite my signature I actually agree that it can be very hardcore. The biggest problem in TGM3 is the game wasn't actually rebalanced for SRS.

10. Colour_thief, firstly I'd like to say that I love your signature.

I agree that the Ti developers could have done a better job retuning the game for World. I'm not sure how they would do that, though. Do you have any suggestions? It definitely seems like there must be a way to, as Rosti mentioned, force skilled play in World, but I can't think of one. Maybe more and stricter torikans? Harder Master grading requirements?

SRS Death is actually pretty fun in blockbox, though, I have to admit.

11. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

It's called HAI: Half Assed Infinity. In rules with move reset, have rotations and shifts fill to no more than half the level's nominal lock delay. For instance, at a level where lock delay is 30 frames, and the user has used 20 of them (stateTime = 10), set stateTime back to 15. Only the first floor kick or a net downward movement can replenish the full lock delay, just like in rules with step reset.

If Mr. Rogers doesn't like HAI, then just provide 30 frames for rules with step reset and 15 frames for rules with move reset, etc.

In Lockjaw, set speed curve to Death and play the Guideline scenario. Is that also fun?

12. No, because it's in Lockjaw. [​IMG]

13. Not without violating the guideline so hard it needs counselling.

14. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

My proposal for removal of infinity is the following.

I've probably said it before.

Use step reset, but detect upward kicks. When an upward kick is performed, perform one reset to two or maybe 3 times the normal lock delay, but do not perform another until the pieces drops lower than the level that the upward kick is performed at. If this expires before the piece drops low enough, the piece will hard drop from it's current spot and lock instantly. (This will also stop the infamous "i-roll" where you can cause the I to kick upwards IN MIDAIR.)

Combine this with 1g autoshift and reasonable DAS, and we should have something playable.

You will still be able to get pieces over walls. But you will have to do it quickly, and stalling will be impossible.

PS: I have it on Good Authority that auto-shift rate is not actually written in stone in the Guideline.

15. jujube

jujube Unregistered

that's all well and good, but will it stop the infamous ____ ____?

16. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I see some similarities between your proposal and HAI, and between your proposal and what I tried to do in TOD (step recover, when what I was ultimately aiming for was net-step reset). But at least the I-roll isn't as bad as some of the rolls that could be done in Tetris DX. Mr. Rogers was smart not to put that $#!@+ into the guideline.

You mean the hamster roll?

17. "This video is not available in your country"

Damn YouTube.

19. You shouldn't insult tepples that way when he's put so much work into LJ. You don't have to like the game, but show some tact.

20. WHAT? lockjaw is the best for 40lines imo