[The Tournament of Death]

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 25 Mar 2008.

1. This will be incredibly casual, but hopefully still fun. Here's how this works:

Head into #arika on the quakenet IRC network to find a live opponent. Decide your own rules with your opponent, and post the results in this thread. The 4 players with the most wins will battle in a standard elimination format this Sunday. So before the semifinals, players have everything to gain and nothing to lose by playing an opponent.

For people who are having difficulties getting online play to work, a few polite questions in #arika will probably resolve any technical issues you might have. [​IMG]

2. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

[Delete post, problem solved]

3. Seeing as the server behind the kaillera site seems to be down, I've uploaded the newest version of Mame++, which has Kaillera built-in

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wdlapp

Note that this is just the emulator. No ROMS are included.

4. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

Rosti and I just started the ball rolling. And holy shit was it rolling slowly! The lag on this thing is horrendous! Anyway, the result: Rosti won 6-1 [​IMG]

5. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Rosti killed me 2-0.

6. Both of the above games were played with items on.

7. Notice that there's an ingame chat with Kaillera. You can remap the key by pressing tab -> Input (General) -> Special Controls -> Kaillera Chat Open .

8. Yeah, by default "Home" is the button to talk.

9. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

I got pwned by DHE, 1-0 with items off, and 2-1 with items on.

10. Muf

Muf

Well, this was a nice idea, but me, PetitPrince and edo are having massive problems, beside the lag with getting games started and getting them to last past 30 seconds. Lots of desynchs, disconnects, inability to chat, one-sided matches (where it seems all is okay but player 2 simply isn't playing at all).. So, at least for me, kaillera netplay is ruined. I might post some shoddy Death scores on the Carnival leaderboard and call it a day.

11. Played DeHackEd for a bit score was something like 10-7 to me.

Officially it was no items, but one of us would usually forget to hold the player start button, so most games actually did have items.

12. I've updated the rankings. So far Rosti is in the lead with an unstopable hat trick of victories.

13. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm giving up on the whole Kaillera netplay thing. I guess I'm not man enough to handle the lag [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

But honestly though, if you guys are having the same difficulties as I am, how on Earth do you manage?! As a rough estimate, I'm seeing lag of 8-40 frames. I've had a brief play with Mame++ on my own without netplay, and I have a pretty good idea what 3 frames of input lag feels like. When I was playing muf and Rosti, when things were going fine, it felt like there was at least double the lag, if not more. That alone would have been tolerable, but on top of that I would get frequent and unpredictable dips in responsiveness: I'd press down to lock a piece and nothing would happen. I try again, pressing the button harder this time [​IMG] Again, nothing would happen, and lock delay would just expire. But as soon as the next piece spawns, it's instant locked on me, and so has the next one after that. That's 2 pieces' worth of ARE between my second press of the down button and the result actually registering, which by my count is 36 frames. Seriously, how on Earth do you guys cope?

14. everyone meet at ct's place! [​IMG]

15. The lowly master defeats the grandmaster 10-4 [​IMG]

Extreme lag probably plays into my hands. I'd say the items did at the start, but then they played into c_t's at the end, so it was probably balanced out overall.

16. You sent me a ton of roll rolls rosti you bastard! [​IMG] Well played though, you definitely had more control over the lag.

I just played a set with DeHackEd with an awesome 15ms ping, which helped me out immensely. The result was 10-1.

17. The best item I got was in the first set, not sure which game.

I was right at the top, literally a piece or two away from dying, managed to clear the free-fall item I got, and it wiped away over half my screen and sent it to you.

18. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

You never added the results for my match against DHE. >:o

19. I'm pretty sure I did? You've lost against DHE and rosti (0/2) and are DHE's singular victory (1/3).

20. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

I beat DHE once.