The quest to get Texmaster working on Intel OSX

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Caithness, 14 Mar 2008.

1. I can get it to run in a Windows or Linux virtual machine in VirtualBox, but it seems pretty silly to run an entire extra operating system just to play one game. Plus, it makes my Macbook's fans start to spin really fast when I do that.

I tried it in Wine, but I got the following error:

Code:
    fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0080: stub!
    fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"04090409", 0001: stub!
    A different version of Darwine gave me different errors, but those seemed to be more related to Wine itself.

And of course, when I try to run the Linux version, I get the message "bash: cannot execute binary file". Even after installing SDL withe MacPorts, like cdsboy suggested.

So, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can try to get Wine or the Linux binary to work? I can't be the only one who wants to play the best TGM clone around on the best operating system around, can I?

2. No, you're not the only one. Unfortunately, I don't have much to offer as a solution. I get the same errors with Darwine and haven't tried compiling a version of OS X.

However, I did try running it in a demo version of Crossover. The sound is a bit buggy and I can't get the arrow keys to work as inputs. Otherwise, it seems to run flawlessly. Unfortunately, the full version of Crossover is $60 so it's probably not worth it.

Since Crossover uses wine though, I figure there must be some way of configuring Darwine to run Texmaster. Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. No problem. It's enough for me to know that at least other people are interested as well. Unfortunately as far as I know Texmaster is closed-source, so that pretty much precludes compiling a version for OSX.

...Unless Report decides to share the source with a member of this forum so that one of us can maintain the Mac version. I'm not sure I would be best choice for that position, since my coding knowledge is limited to C++ and hasn't been used in several years, and I'm not even sure if he'd be willing to do such a thing, but there's always the possibility.

4. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Not necessarily. You could donate a Mac to Report.

5. after all that he has given us, you would subject him to that ? [​IMG]

6. tepples

In September 2005, a bunch of people on gbadev.org pitched in to buy me a DS for my birthday. They wanted me to change gears from developing for the GBA to developing for the DS, and publicly available DS emulators for PC were nowhere near the level of accuracy of today's top NES emulators such as Nestopia and Nintendulator.

7. Well, I've got an extra PowerBook G4 now that I got my new MacBook, but I kind of already promised it to my sister.

8. He could just release the source...

9. Update: When I tried the latest version of Wine in Ubuntu instead of the outdated one included in the repository by default, I got the same keyboard stub errors as before, but it still ran! This leads me to believe that the relevant error is actually the one in stdout.txt, which was a message in Japanese saying that there was an error reading Texmaster2009beta2.dat

Code:
    ERROR:Texmaster2009beta2.dat ????????

10. Report

Report Texmaster developer

Texmaster2009 beta2 patch3 OSX 10.5

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4bjx74

- Leopard

- xcode 3.0

- SDL 1.2.13

Code:
    $ file Texmaster2009beta2
    Texmaster2009beta2: Mach-O executable i386
    Need SDL Runtime Libraries

http://www.libsdl.org/

Mac OS X:

SDL-1.2.13.dmg

I don't know "print screen" on osx.

photograph from digital camera.

11. Report

Report Texmaster developer

Thank you!!

more image.

12. Oh, wow. I love you so much, Report.

13. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

For your next porting tricks.

1) MS-DOS port? [​IMG] Use VESA for gfx, and pc speaker for sound. However it may beeasier to make this next port firs,tand port IT to MS-DOS

2) ASCII character graphic based port. [​IMG] ANSI-terminal based texmaster. Perhaps using ncurses library? I think we can skip the audio for this one.maybe use terminal beep for initial rotation sound.

14. Muf

Muf

zaphod, all these ports have been relatively easy because of the availability of the SDL library for the target platform. What you're asking is -imho- ridiculous, especially if you consider the one or two people that might use such ports.

15. I'm pretty sure Zaphod was joking, muf.

Do I need to install the SDL SDK? because I've got both the framework and the macports version, and this is what i'm getting.

Code:
    MacBook:Leopard_xcode30_intel keisunesu$ ./Texmaster2009beta2 
    dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
     Referenced from: /Users/keisunesu/Documents/Games/Tetris/Leopard_xcode30_intel/./Texmaster2009beta2
     Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap

Edit:
    Or am I supposed to compile SDL again myself, thus necessitating the Xcode 3.0 requirement? I tried making a symbolic link in /usr/local/lib to the macports dylib, but that seemed to bring me to about the same point as Wine: a window quickly appeared and disappeared, and I got an error saying Texmaster2009beta2.dat couldn't be read.

16. tepples

If the back end and front end are as cleanly separated as they are in, say, Lockjaw, then it isn't necessarily that hard. If I felt a need to, and I had a high enough resolution timer, I could make an ncurses frontend for Lockjaw Engine. Besides, as far as I can tell, Allegro still compiles on MS-DOS (which is part of why I originally chose it over SDL).

17. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

You will note the smileys, right? [​IMG]

I wasn't seriously expecting it and yes, I know the odds of etiher port aren't very good.

I was simply thinking of how you could best make sure EVERYONE could enjoy the texmaster experience, and I decided to pick the most remaining troublesome cases. [​IMG]

18. Speaking of which, how hard do you think an SDL port would be?

19. To be honest though, people in those cases are basically stabbing themselves in the eye and then complaining if things don't look very good [​IMG]