The Nintendo Tetris Hub (and leaderboard) seems to be fixed.

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 29 Apr 2006.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

It's 8:36 pm EST and it's finally sorting people to their correct rank. Too bad my rating is off, though, which is odd since it's been where it is for almost 2 days since the last time I played.

2. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

It's about fucking time if you ask me.

Time for me to get back into the 7000/Level 2 ranking page again....

3. woah, you're right. the hub is in order now. looks like i've fell below some tgmers-- i haven't played since it came out in japan. might be able to play next week. can't wait to see the eastern talant.

4. Sully

Sully Unregistered

You were down to 7300 a week or so ago (when I played you and you were practicing t-spin triples), GW getting right back to the upper 7000s.

Oh, and TMG-HOLiC is Jin8.

5. Especially after Nintendo supposedly saying that there 'was no problem with it'.

The leaderboard still blows, but at least not as much. It needs to show the world ranking, and even better show the "Top 20" by default, instead of the crappy 4999 players. =P

(and if you couldn't guess, I'm Xkeeper on tDS)

on that note, does anyone think that the loss penalty should be lowered? You lose one game due to bad luck (such as getting truly random garbage that takes too long to clear, or pure junk you can't use), and you drop 150+ points, and it's hard to make it back since finding someone even near your rank is rare =P

6. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

It's lonely at the time, in'it? :3

I think the X points loss for losing is fair and just. It's also a good way of saying "look, you've played enough to day, you'd better quit while you're ahead".

7. Touche -- I just think that winning 5 and losing 150 is a little... unbalanced.

And on that note, on my way back -- at 7,425 I'm 23rd in the world (according to the now not-so-broken hub) and I've gotten up to 7,489 [​IMG]

It would be very nice if more people played this, of course, but... [​IMG]

8. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I think the randomness of the garbage is what should be addressed, not the rating system.

Garbage should ALWAYS be random.

9. My solution:

Garbage should be completely random in Worldwide mode and (optionally) organized in Friend mode for decisive 6-minute long matches.

10. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

I think losing a ton of points to someone who is lower ranked than you is fair. I mean if you're SO good, you're not SUPPOSED to lose to a worse player. [​IMG] Though more to the point, if you're as good as you say you are, getting 150 points back isn't hard. For example, last night I had one of the worst nights of Tetris ever; I went from 7300 down to 6980-ish. Barf! BUT since I'm as good as I think I am, getting back up to 7300-ish won't be too hard for me. [​IMG]

I wish more people did play Tetris DS (though I'm sure it's only a matter of time). I need more 7000-ish players to play against and use to boost my rating up a bit. [​IMG]

11. Fair? I'm not sure. Here's the story of me and Tetris DS:

Play for 5 hours, rarely losing.

Start to get tired without noticing. Playing speed slows down.

BAM I lose twice in 10 minutes to someone much lower than me. Entire session wasted.

Put TDS away for a week or 2.

My "favourite" was when the turning point occured with an opponent I'd played perhaps 80-2 games with. Within 10 minutes, we had practically the same rating as me, despite my much larger win count against him.

I guess the moral of the story is to play in moderation, and play frequently. And don't be such a stubborn bastard.

12. What they really should have done was this: Instead of having one match which would determine the new ranking, it should've been a set of matches (like 2 out of 3) because fluke wins do happen.

13. Yeah -- I actually graphed it out (see "Tetrigraph" thread by me), and even 3 losses can offset 41 wins.

It's unfair because of the lack of other 7000-ranked people to play against. It makes a fluke loss (especially at 5 AM, thanks...) much more painful, because the only way you're getting those points back is by playing a bunch of 3 or 6-point matches, and that could be well over 40-50 games for one loss... not to mention, it's always possible that you'll end up getting another fluke loss in that time.

(and interestingly, it seems like the higher rated people are, the more likely they are to quit -- people in the low-6ks will play many games, but someone in the 7000s will usually only play 2-3 times if they lose, then quit... which only makes the problem worse, given how rare 7000s are.)

14. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Truly random garbage should eliminate "fluke" losses. A loss from a single mis-drop is your own fault.

There's almost nothing worse than watching my garbage be random random random and see my opponent (rated WAY lower than me) get perfect garbage over and over.

15. Not me!

I lost continuously against TetrisHOLiC until he'd had enough. [​IMG]

16. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

There's a scene from the Simpsons which plays over and over in my head everytime I'm ahead but begin to lose points because I keep being a.... well... stubborn bastard.

Martin: [at the stock market] "Soy! Soy!"
    Martin's Dad: "Congratulations, Martin. You just made one million dollars!"
    Martin: "YES!" [buzzer]
    Martin's Dad: "And now you lost all but six hundred of it. You got greedy, Martin."

This is why I suspect the odds of your garbage blocks of being randomize increase the higher your rating is.

17. That's the perfect quote. [​IMG]
    It'll be sure to at least put a smile on my face next time that happens, thanks.

18. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Hey, it's in their best interests. If you're playing someone rated much higher than you, what do you have to lose? Maybe you'll beat them a couple times, and your rating will soar. (Plus, the games are likely to be fun anyway.)