The difference a year makes

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 30 Mar 2009.

1. So it turns out I got a lot better at Death in the last year than I expected. I've uploaded a video of my recent 6:04 record here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NXyid3ln1s

I've got to leave for work now, but I'm reserving this space to talk about how I've changed over the last year and maybe also a little bit of commentary on my play.

2. Muf

Muf

Congraturation! A Gm is you!

3. A first observation from Amnesia. [​IMG] This is a move that is often used at slow speeds, but if mastered it can be used at even the highest speeds. Last summer when he visited me I was blown away by how often and effortlessly he used it. Without specifically practicing it, it seems now I can do the same. [​IMG] It's something I've always used, but now I'm completely comfortable doing it at the highest Death speeds.

Here's a fumen showing the move:

http://fumen.zui.jp/?v105@jdC3lbE3gbA3hbH3hbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3gbI3qbAAA7?eAK5AHdoUoboUobpU9cS+ASdoUmbqU9cSFBgdoUmbqUvc6U?B7eAAAA

1. IRS
    2. rotate a second time while DAS is charging
    3. rotate a third time after you've DAS'ed to the wall

This move is possible with L, J, and T pieces to get them over pits that are one or two units wide. It usually comes up multiple times per section, making it very useful rather than a mere "obscure trivia" move.

4. I actually do those quite frequently. In that fumen case I probably would have tried to place it in columns 8 and 9, rather than to skim with it though.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

When you decide between skimming and tetrising, consider these:
    • Death has no requirement for 4-line clears per section, unlike Master, and no bonus for consecutive 4-line clears, unlike Guideline.
    • Death has much lower line clear delays than Master or Guideline. TAP on the wiki shows that the Death 0-299 ARE and line clear delay timings resemble Master 700-999; the delay is effectively zero (normal ARE = line clear delay + ARE after line clear) from 100 to 299.

6. Maybe, but it's nicer to have a gold or silver SK medal than a bronze one.

7. Aha! I've wanted to learn how to do that move with L, though I'd much rather have it go in columns 8 and 9. In TGM1, I will tap while the L is on its flat side, which often leads to interesting misdrops.
    Need to learn more DAS finesse here....

8. (wouldn't you want to rotate after you hold right to start charging DAS, in this case, in order to reset lock delay? Is that what you did in your actual video?) ...or maybe it doesn't actually matter at 500+ speeds.

triple-rotation moves at high speeds make me feel so gosu o_o

9. The timing for holding right is approximately as the piece spawns, giving you approximately DAS number of frames to do the second rotation. Depending on the exact timing you may actually move the piece right before DAS, but it's not required.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I am surprised, I was expecting to see at least one time the word "2x rotation"...
    It is so aesthetic and so powerfull to place that move at DEATH 500 in 2x rotating..

I failed my bet for this carnival, 2 times at lv 480..
    My challenge was to pass a M rank with my "joystick", with that difficulty : be frozen at DEATH 400 during 3 seconds, during a disconnection of my joystick..
    It would have made a very funny video..I chosen to try that in order to avoid the frustration occured by this shit..