The 8 by 8 trick - [rename title]

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Altimor, 25 May 2008.

1. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBTDnY3CQA

What you must do is just stack normally until the stack is 9 blocks high, and make sure nothing is in column 9. Now just place a Z piece to the the very far right and that separates the 8*8 square from the rest of the stack, effectively making an 8 by 8 square.

2. @Ghett0: as much as i like your video about building an 8x8 big golden square , you should at least give credits to Lardarse who first discovered this method. just mention it in the description of the video. then everything is fine.

3. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Lardarse discovered the same exact method also? 0_o

4. That was before you tweaked the game so that you can't throw down pieces quickly and have then count as the same combo. This limits the maximum possible combo to 8, but it's still a lot of points.

One bug that I do remember seeing, from a long while ago is this: If a piece will be dropped in to make a silver, and that silver is touching another silver that could become a gold, then sometimes I would get the silver and the gold, and sometimes I would just get the gold. This suggests that you are searching by position first, and then by size, which leads to an inconsistency (IIRC, you got the silver as well if the one you were making was on the left). Better would be to check for all squares of a specific size first, either smallest to largest or largest to smallest. I could see reasons for either, so I'll leave the choice up to you...

But those weren't the reason that I stopped playing, though. I stopped playing when "mario jumping" became the default action, and you had to hold down a key to push. I would really like to see an option to reverse this behaviour, as for me, pushing is much more useful...