TGM on DS

Thread in 'Discussion' started by nicofromtokyo, 23 Feb 2012.

1. I know there's a "special" version of TGM available for DS, but I have no time to spend hours finding the right components and the right method to be able to enjoy the game. Is there anybody here who can give me details to get the TGMed DS "ready-to-play" ? I am ok to buy it to anyone who could make me an offer, thanks !

2. K

K

3. Nobody managed to find this yet :D:D

4. You gotta buy a good flash card with a micro SD (I've used it on Acekard 2i, CycloDS, and CycloDS iEvolution. I would recommmend Acekard 2i). If you have a DS or DS Lite, you don't even have to worry about updating the card. If you have a DSi/3DS it's a constant, annoying battle if you want to continue buying actual official games while also playing this homebrew, though.

After that, just download the file, DON'T rename it from "NDS_TGM_20080815.nds" (google that) and pop it on the microSD. You can even set it up so that it boots immediately when you launch the card, so you don't have to go through the menu each time.

I'd help you out by sending you a card already set up with it, but buying another card to have shipped to me for two minutes of set up only to ship it internationally out to you is... not appealing, even if you're footing the bill. You could get it quicker by buying the card yourself, and I promise setting it up is probably easier than MAME or most other things you have to bother with to play a TGM game.

5. Muf

Muf

I was waiting for someone to mention NDS_TGM :p It's a fun game, but it's definitely not TGM. I think nicofromtokyo means LTAP_DS.

6. Hmm. Never heard of it. Maybe someone should PM me with details.

7. Thanks for the replies.

@muf I was talking about the TGM game available for DS, don't know the difference between NDS_TGM and LTAP_DS, my only goal is to enjoy something close to TGM/TAP on train :p

SO, I first have to buy a DS. I shouldn't bother buying the newest one, I guess an old second-hand 1st generation DS will be ok?
    Then, buy the flash card named Acekard 2i.
    And then, download a file on it.

Seems fair :)

8. More info before you take the plunge:

Yes, either of these guys is preferred: http://fangzhengtrading.com/bigpic/ds lite_003.jpg if all you want is portable TGM/Homebrew. If you get one used, I would make extra sure the L and R buttons work since that's the easiest way to use hold if you want Ti enjoyment.

Accuracy is not really NDS_TGM's thing, although I think Shirase is pretty close except for lack of the Torikans. NDS_TGM does have an option for TAP and TGM rotation, but neither one is accurate. (Wall kicks are enabled for the I piece, even though floor kicks don't work.) There's no grading, the credit roll is endless in all modes, and Master's speed curve isn't accelerated for playing well like Ti's is. None of these are deal breakers for me, and NDS_TGM is my favorite clone ever. It even has a pretty excellent and easy to use training mode and replays. I just feel you should be aware of this stuff since most people seem to be more into accuracy than me.

Acekard's Website has resellers for various continents. Be aware of your local laws, so it's not surprising if customs confiscates your package or something. These types of products do have some some problems with things like that, since they can be used for game piracy. Be aware.

I forgot that Acekard does have some extra setup but it's basically just copying more files to the SD card. It has to be done exactly once, which is why I forgot. :oops: When your card arrives, post here and I can put up what's needed if you have any trouble.

Also, after you get the card and get it working, it shouldn't be hard to throw LTAP_DS on it (whatever that is, I could only find PC builds) or Lockjaw or any other games. The one time setup may or may not be a little trouble, but after that you just drag new games onto the micro SD card and they'll just work.

9. K

K

if you plan to buy a NDS just for this game, then buy the NDS Big screen for older people, it's more confortable.
    more pixelised, but who care for moving blocks :V

10. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Honestly the most 'accurate' mode in NDS_TGM is big mode (no cools in big mode) which does a very passable simulation of TI's big mode.

I don't have LTAP_DS at all.

11. Make sure the Acekard ships preupdated if you get DSiLL.

Nintendo has firmware updates that block flashcards for DSi consoles, and if the Acekard doesn't come updated it might be basically useless depending on the firmware of the DSi you buy. Then you have to borrow a console that will boot it to update it so it will work on your console.

12. Ow, thanks for the tip. how I am supposed to know is the card/console is ok for each other ?

13. You can't really know without knowing the firmwares of both products. A site I buy from has "Pre-updated for DSi v1.4.3 and 3DS v3.0.0 " so I could guess beforehand that the card may not work on say... a 3.0.0-6 3DS out of the box. Is there anything like that on the japanese site? If not, send them an email. As far as I know, the latest DSi firmware is 1.4.3, so any DSi you buy will have that or lower. If they say the card will ship with a firmware that works for that, you are fine regardless of the DSi console.

14. For the link I posted, the firmware seems to be 1.4.3/3DS 2.1.0-3. Should I buy first the console or anything will be ok with that card ? Sorry for being a noob :(

15. I would email them.

Something like, "I would like to purchase an Acekard2i. If I buy from you, can you ensure that the card will ship with a firmware that will work on my DSiLL 1.4.3 without me having to find another console to update it? I do not have a DS or DS Lite to update the card if not." 1.4.3 is the highest for DSi, so if they respond positive to that, you're good.

From what I can see, it's just that the firmware provided on the site to update the card yourself will work on the console firmwares you listed. But I of course cannot read japanese, only google translate.

I don't mean to worry you about all this. The absolute worst case scenario is that you have to borrow a friend's DS or DS Lite for two minutes, and then you don't ever need it again. The best (and probable) case, is the card will ship and be ready.

16. Answer !

"No need to update, will work for dsi1.4.3/3ds 3.0.0-6."

Great ! Next, DSiLL :)

17. Sorry for the vaguely off-topic post, but what is LTAP_DS? A Google search brings up nothing, and it seems like a Tetris homebrew game for DS similar to NDS_TGM.

18. Muf

Muf

More information about LTAP:
    LTAP Console Alpha test (LTAP Engine)

LTAP-DS is the Nintendo DS port of that. It's also a very early alpha test, the mode selection screen doesn't even have any text yet; you have to see which mode you selected by looking at the colour of the field border. Also no hiscores, name entry, or anything like that. But the gameplay is true to real TAP, something which can't be said of NDS_TGM.

19. Also, it's named LTAP-NDS, but you won't find any Google results searching for that either.