TGM bugs

Thread in 'Research & Development' started by rednefed, 25 Dec 2008.

1. Split from here

I didn't know TA and TAP were that buggy, heh. What's with that music bug?

2. I'd class that less a bug and more just a complaint.

3. Muf

Muf

I'd class it as a bug if the endgame shows: TIME: [time of death], and on the right of the field there's a timer that shows the exact same number. Also, in TGM and TAP, the endgame has always shown mastering time, so it's inconsistent with the series.

4. not always

if you don't make an st record or get on the daily rankings then you don't get a mastering time

5. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

Thread necromancy in progress. New bug in TGM1. I've known about it for some time now, and it's on my list, but now I have a video of it.

S8 -> GM-qualified in one shot bug

Sadly it's not an exciting video. Skip to the last section to minimize boredom.

6. K

K

what is the bug ?
    i see s9

7. No grade flash or sound.

8. I thought it was interesting =)

How can you trigger the bug?

9. Completely skip over the S9 score bracket, going directly from S8 (<= 119,999 points) to "GM-worthy" (>= 126,000 points) -- I guess you skip over the condition for the S9 flash, and the GM flash doesn't happen unless you finish the game with the rest of the requirements fulfilled.

10. Strange, as if you "skip" grades early in the game by tetrising (going from class 9 to 7, or 8 to 6, etc) the sound chimes and grade flashes as usual.

11. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

The most likely explanation is there is in fact a hidden grade which requires 126,000 points and is explicitly programmed to not produce a flash or SFX when you earn it. Let's call this grade S9+. GM qualification checks the grade, not the score directly. There's no effect because Arika doesn't want to give away that 126,000 points are a requirement for the GM grade.

By skipping over the S9 grade entirely, only the rendering effects of S9+ apply, which are explicit in not producing effects. Thus going straight from S8 to S9+ just causes the interesting effect of the grade display changing suddenly.

Edit: previously the wiki said that there was a hidden requirement for Gm that you have your S9 before level 960. This video pretty clearly disproves that so I've removed that. Maybe I'll try to nail S8->S9+ at level 998 just to make sure there's no funny business.

12. Don't forget we've still got the TAP/mame speed bug around, discovered 4 months ago...

13. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

I guess I can put that on the list. I've considered it to be a hardware, possibly manufacturing mistake but ultimately I guess it's a bug in the game that it runs at the wrong speed.

14. What's the speed bug?
    TAP on my laptop runs at 97%, distorting sounds and making things just a bit easier than they need to be.