Tetris: The Grand Master?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Hutch, 9 Aug 2010.

1. Well...hi
    I started playing tetris 1 week ago (sure i played it long time ago on my gameboy and stuff like that :p).

First game I downloaded was lockjaw. I played it almost every day... (best time in 40 lines mode: 1:49.56)

Yesterday i found the video where the one guy plays tetris in ultra-speed.
    I'm pretty sure the name of this version is The Grandmaster.

Now my question:
    I downloaded MAME because i wanted to try Tetris The Grandmaster (looks awesome ;) ) but i have problems with running MAME and the rom.

In one version of MAME there are many games but not the tetris rom i put in the rom folder, and in an other version of MAME i found no .exe after insalling it.

Could someone help me please?

2. Welcome Hutch,

Check out Texmaster. Try Classic mode, and Special Ti / Sudden Ti for a Tetris The Grandmaster experience!

(the newest version is on page 43!)

3. Ok thanks guys,
    But how do i play/install all these games?

nullpomino: i dont know how to start it
    TGM2 : What buttons do i have to config.?
    Textmaster: Same thing with the buttons....

Ps. sry for my bad english :p

4. Ai

Ai

Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here. All you need to know about the Tetris The Grand Master series can be found in the wiki. Don't hesitate to ask questions if something's not clear.

TGM 3 Tetris Arika !!! Invisible Tetris
    Tetris finals in japan

Was it one of these videos that got you interested? Both these are very popular.

As mentioned above there are very good alternatives to play the games. Have fun! ^^

5. Hutch, look at index.html in the Texmaster folder

6. Yeah it was the one with the invisible blocks ^^

7. When it comes to playing TGM1 in MAME, make sure you have both the tgmj and cpzn2 romsets. cpzn2 is the BIOS for the system board that TGM1 runs on.

When it comes to playing TGM2+ in MAME, ensure that you're running a fairly recent version. Using shmupmametgm as cyberguile linked will do. For TGM2+, you need both tgm2 and tgm2p romsets.

In MAME, press tab to bring up the menu. You can navigate with the arrow keys and make selections with enter. Look for an option called something like "Configure Controls (This Game)."

As for a keyboard layout to use, one good way to go is use the arrow keys for Up, Down, Left, and Right, and Z, X, and C for buttons 1, 2, and 3.

To start Nullpomino on Windows, double-click one of the play_*.bat start-up scripts in the main folder. There are three packages using different libraries so players can choose the one that runs the best on their computer. I'd recommend play_slick to start.

If you're running Nullpomino on a platform other than Windows, there are start-up scripts for those as well. Read the documentation for more info.

Hope this helps! :)

8. Ai

Ai

And make sure you read the private message I sent you yesterday. ^^