Tetris on Gameboy (the first)

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Amnesia, 20 Oct 2006.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I wish to know how many lines you can reach on this tetris, it's not in order to compare us but Recently, I found on a forum some guys who claimed they had reached more than 400 lines..I'm not a bad loser, and a few details are incoherent..I think they have cheated but...All it's possible!

If somebody here (because I think the best players of tetris are here)

can reach 400 lines, I will say OK...It's possible.. [​IMG]

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keeSEJG4XzU

That video reaches 641 lines, before he craps out quite spectacularly. The game will go up that high (in lines, not in score) but by then you you're not worried about how many lines you get so much as keeping the game going for as long as you can...

I'm willing to believe that this isn't tool-assisted, simply because he screws up a few too many times... Anyone else here have an opinion?

3. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

For instance I can't see this video, tell me just if it's on a real gameboy on an emulator? I'm very septic when it's from to an emulator...If you want I can make for you a video at 999 lines and few mistake in order to seem more realistic...

I believe only score from real console and I accept TGM score because It's useless to cheat with that..

Ok maybe a japan strong player can reach ~600, but for me it's about a french guy who is 18, and one day he reach 200 in saying "it's to fast!", ten days later he reachs 400!??

It's not a normal improvement..I'm sure..I' have spent a long time on this tetris..

4. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I've never played the game before but from watching the video, getting to 600 shouldn't be that difficult should it? The max speed still seemed fairly slow.

5. How can you hook your GB up to a screen like that?

6. tepples would know if you can go directly from gb to video.

i know you can do it with a vcr and super gb.

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Nintendo made special Game Boy demo kiosk units that could output to a television. As I understand it, these were leased to Nintendo authorized retailers, not sold to the public.

You can also use a GameCube + Game Boy Player together with a VCR or a DVD recorder.

8. btw, my friend told me there's a gba cart thingy you can import which plays ds output on the tv.

9. Spectre256

Spectre256 Unregistered

That's actually my video. It was real, not tool-assisted or emulated, and I used a Super Gameboy to output the screen to my computer. I tend to lurk around here until a gameboy Tetris topic comes up, since that's the only version I really play.

As far as maximum lines go, I would guess that it would be 999, although I'm not sure. It would definitely take a while to get that high, probably around an hour of playing. If it doesn't end there, then it would probably go on to 4095 (unlikely) or 65535 (a bit more likely), after which is would either cause a glitch or loop back to 0.

10. Hey! I knew the name looked familiar...

I watched that vidoe with a friend of mine about a month ago, and we both decided that you are completely crazy by the amount of risks that you take. But it's still a very good video.

Any tips that are specific to the GameBoy version of Tetris? I'm playing it on a GBA if that makes any difference...

11. It seems that the key to the GB version, or the NES version is to keep the stack as low as possble. After nearly two thousand 4player wifi games, I reckon I'd be pretty good at that. I might try it when we've finished moving house and my old NES and stuff come out of storage. It could be difficult getting used to only 1 next piece and no hold, but I have TGM1 to practise that.

12. tepples

The biggest obstacle compared to TGM1 is the slow-ass sideways autorepeat. I believe it's 6.7 Hz on the Game Boy, and LJ doesn't even go that slow.

13. I'm nowhere near TGM skill, but yes, no hi-speed sideways movements makes it hard to get ot where you want it when going fast...

14. TGM skill? Pah! I'm not even close.

15. I can handle the speedin my mind, and the strategy of staying low. But DAMN I really can't mash the dpad fastly/consistently enough.

16. tepples

Then solder together your own controller that speaks the damn-simple Super NES protocol and has a built-in DAS. If anyone else can make a turbo controller for the buttons...

17. Because I am not a cheater?

18. GB Tetris:

Was the first version of tetris I ever played (1 year back now), I was really into it around the same time as spectre256.

I think I was the first to see his max-out vid ;lol we used to post vids back and forth on arkmay.com/tetris.

I havent played it in over 4 months now, a new topic on the game makes me want to pick up my old GB and start playing again.

I have also tried playing GB tetris and NES tetris using keyboardking (program that increases key press rate) though an emulator but was left was little to no advantage.

- Jono

19. Bander87

Bander87 Unregistered

After playing TDS for so long and going back to the original gameboy version, its somwhat of a challenge at first.

20. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Ah YES??? CONGRATULATION!!! [​IMG]
    you have a "super inch"! Like colour_thief I can't bring my poor inch after 300 lines, I must play with a reverse position of my hand (right inch on Dpad and left inch on buttons), but with an assisting rapidfire for the Dpad, that become the easiest tetris we can find on the earth, it the principal reason of the apparition of TGM and other "lustful tetris"

HOW DO YOU DO SPECTRE???