Tetris Grand Mastergate

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 5 Feb 2008.

1. Google translation

Rough translation, but good enough to extract the juicy bits. What is the source? Is it reliable?

edit:
    Seems simple enough but some seriously demanding consistency is required if I'm reading that right - qualify MasterM then achieve 4 Gm performances within 7 games to get Gm exam.

2. It appears to be a reliable source, and his methods seem to be disassembly. Apparently it was done by this guy:

http://arl.sakura.ne.jp/dds/

3. Odd that he doesn't seem to say anything about Shirase mode levels past 1300 -- didn't Mihara himself say they exist?

I thought this was interesting (warning, babelfished):

4. Even if you're using reverse engineering, you have to know exactly what to look for to find something. The fact that he isn't mentioning 1300+ shouldn't be taken as cold hard fact that it doesn't exist.

It's a bit discouraging, yes. But I'd still like to believe there's more to SHIRASE than S13 - there has to be. We should look more at what's there - and less at what's not there. I'm going to remain optimistic about it.

5. gila

gila Unregistered

there are already super-fast completed shirase modes, and yet there is a possibility of levels beyond 1300 and higher grades? that's just downright insane, i mean, how faster or better should player perform for those?

6. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Is there a 1300 in 03:59.99 or less yet? How many tetrises in the big roll?

7. Considering the time requirements for Ti Master are reasonably slack, and a lot of the Shirase plays are really starting to push the boundaries of insanity for speed, I doubt that the total time is relevant. It's just asking for far too much to go faster than the current records.

8. the fastest we know of is 4:19:78 by ZAB.

Here's a 4:22:58 video (which is still faster than the second best player - again, that we know of):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAeE-6CNKNM

9. so is it a coincidence that tetris-holic made gm just a short time before they published this info?

10. Well, it was published today. It seems this document has been a well-kept secret.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

It is crazy...I am curious to see one day a TAS of the SHIRASE mode...

The game of ZAB looks like the DeHacked's TAS of DEATH mode.. [​IMG]

12. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

As i read it,

you must get the exam chance (random) AND you must have passed the previous MM exam, AND 4 out of your last 7 games have to be GM level performances.

Just getting 4 GM performances within seven is not enough to make it hand out the exam. you must also be lucky to be given the exam.so if you get more GM level performances then non GM level performances, and can maintain that, you will get the exam.

It also tells me there is only one "exam flag" which gets set randomly and says "ok this will be an exam".

13. Considering that I can't read Japanese and machine translators suck, it's very likely that the following analysis is completely innaccurate.

From this page I was looking for any information on the grading mechanism during the staff roll. I'm not even sure if what I was reading actually pertained to the information I was looking for, but from what I could derive from the garbled english both Google and Babelfish gave me, they function something like this:

Disappearing roll: Tetrises * 0.1 + lines cleared * 0.04

Invisible roll: Tetrises * .6 + lines cleared * 0.1

...where the result is the number of grades you can receive, rounded down. To test this hypothesis, I looked at jin8's GM game. I examined the credits to the best of my ability, and I believe he got 66 lines and 9 tetrises. Therefore, the formula would be this:

9 * 0.6 + 66 * 0.1 = 7.14

Rounded down, that's 7 grades up. Add 7 to m9 and you get GM +1.

Again, I'm sure I made a couple of leaps of logic due to the near-indecipherable translation, and that passage might not have even had anything to do with the staff roll's grading mechanism, but this topic really needs more attention as this is the last thing we need to know to fully understand Master mode's grading.

14. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

I can read Japanese at a somewhat amateurish level, and with a little help from a kanji dictionary, here's my translation of the formulas:

Regular staff roll: 0.5 if cleared + Tetrises * 0.1 + lines cleared * 0.04 = total number of ranks boosted (decimals are rounded down)

Invisible (or Shadow, as the article calls it) staff roll: 1.6 if cleared + Tetrises * 0.6 + lines cleared * 0.01 = total number of ranks boosted (decimals are rounded down)

15. Thank you very much!

WE HAS SOLVED TEH MYSTERY! Maybe.

16. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

So if I just finish the semi invisible with only single or double, no tetris, I have not even a bonus rank is not it ? [​IMG]

17. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

i believe you would need to clear 13 lines during normal roll to get a rank boost, judging by that math without a tetris. 10 lines is sufficient if you have a tetris, but you must survive the roll. if you don't survive you need 25 lines, or less if you get a tetris. 4 tetrises will guarantee a rank up.

18. yuu_susu

yuu_susu Unregistered

19. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Now I understand why I saw a video of a japan player who was playing at a crazy speed on semi invible..Very strong players can catch up their game in the semi invisible if they fail one condition to get the m9..

By the way this player finish at MK on the video..

Conclusion I can not hope to be boosted by more than 1 rank.. [​IMG]
    Currently..