tetris ds updates

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 11 Jan 2006.

1. What I want to know is who is actually developing this thing. If it's THQ farming it out to some crappy no name people again I think I'll pass on it.

It's too bad it'll almost definitely be in the worlds style. I don't want Henk Rogers dictating every detail of gameplay... I want my oldschool Sega rotations with the TGM extensions. [​IMG] At least TGM3 gave the option to please everybody.

2. I strongly disagree. Tetris Worlds came out over 4 years ago, and THQ has since grown as game developers (esp. with their releases of Dawn of War). If THQ does in fact develope the game, they'll work with Blue Planet Software (whom has made great Tetris games for mobile wireless recently) and with Nintendo (the game uses Nintendo themes, so Nintendo will no doubt make sure the game is up to par with their standards). I think the game might surprise you. I expect a very high quality Tetris.

3. Do I need to remind you that THQ played a pivotal role in Tetris Elements, a game so incompetent they screwed up highscore saving?

I don't doubt that this will be a "good" game.... it just won't meet my standards. I'm sure it'll be popular among more casual players, but I'll stick to my TGM.

4. imaginengine and valusoft developed elements, not thq. i'm not trying to convince you that you'll like it, but how could you or i know that right now? i just don't think that because thq might partially develope it should justify saying it won't meet high standards. may or may not satisfy the hardcore gamers (not that there exist many), true, but i want to find out before i make an assumption. with 2 new tgm's out since thq did anything with tetris, maybe some eastern improvement will rub off on henk rogers. never know.

5. I was referring to THQ as a publisher (and they did publish Elements). Henk hasn't done anything for years... THQ is on good terms with him somehow ($$$?) and they have published second rate Tetris games ever since then. In Japan, replace THQ with the company Success and you get a very similar story.

It's also strange to speak of "eastern improvement" with regard to Henk Rogers. For one thing, he lived in Japan for quite some time running his company Bullet Proof Software (eventually he kept the initials, moved out of Japan, and called it Blue Planet Software). And if the standardized Tetris game rules are any indication, he's not very open to doing things someone else's way.

It looks better than most of the recent (non-TGM) Tetris games. Maybe netplay will make it enjoyable. However, TGM has polish and class... This game is guaranteed to be tacky. Nevertheless, it's a step up from Worlds/Elements. I just wished the versus mode were better... You can tell from the screenshots that it's going to be item-based (tetrinet style?). I find this too random and gimmicky, and classic versus is boring. I much prefer the strategy involved with a Sega Tetris (arcade/dreamcast) style versus. Damn I wish I owned that game back when the Sega network was still running. [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Sorry, wrong again. ValuSoft published it. ImaginEngine developed. [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Unregistered

It's been confirmed that Tetris DS is internally developed, so it's not THQ crap. Apparently the game that THQ had developed got scapped. Wonder why? [​IMG] (source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... story=7737) I'm hoping there will be a way to crank up the speed, turn off the extras and play a nice fast game of tetris. Besides, wasn't the last Tetris game that Nintendo put out Tetris DX? That one turned out nice, despite a few bugs that I'm sure they wouldn't make again, and had smooth, fast play at the higher levels.

8. Thanks for the Gamasutra link, my interest in the game has increased.

Also, THQ certainly had something to do with Elements because their logo is all over the website:

http://www.valusoft.com/tetris/elements/

9. Guest

Guest Unregistered

[deleted unrelated adverts]

10. WTH?!?! And how does a guest have a sig?

11. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

It's a fake signature: look at the number of _ characters.