Tetrinet 2

Thread in 'Discussion' started by M.Bison, 19 Jun 2007.

1. I played Tetrinet 2 for the first time today and all I can say is WTF!!!

What the hell where they thinking! The blocks change entry position all the time, its ridiculous!

I am curious if anyone "here" plays the game well with these features (around +120BPM)

And even more curious if there is a way to change the blocks entry position to that of TDS.

No offence to anyone who likes playing Tetrinet, but trying to guess what position the next piece was going to be was way to frustrating for me.

- Jono

2. I used to play it, and I know there are "options" (which pieces spawn, etc) but I don't know if you can change that or not.

3. nope, you have to play it like it is--twelve wide, random initial orientations and all. personally, i'll wait until someone makes a "good by our standards" multiplayer online tetris before i play tnet2/cultris/quadra/etc.

4. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

I hate them random orientations too, but if they added the (R) IRS system, I wouldn't mind actually.

5. Ah, I see. Thanks for the heads up

True, I cant wait for the day for something you can customize as much as Lockjaw to have online game play.

Thank you, I am very relieved I am not the only one.

- Jono

6. Cultris Pyruz

Cultris Pyruz Unregistered

Mr bison it just takes gettin used to or maybe your just too noobish. why is it that most tetrisconcept members don't like tnet cultris quadra. personally i hate lockjaw and heboris.

7. I'm sorry if you can't see this Pyruz, but tetrinet is truly the Colt 45 of tetris games. Putrid and unrefined, though cheap and plentiful enough to entertain you and some friends. Most people have "been there" before, and are glad those days are long past.

*hopes this makes sense outside of Canada*

8. K

K

hmm i have to look closer to this tetrinet/quadra netplay functionnalities.

9. [​IMG]

Don't do it jago!

It's a trap!!

10. I don't necessarily hate Tetrinet/Cultris/Quadra, but I do have to say I lack extensive experience in those games.

Just out of curiosity, Pyruz, could you elaborate on which gameplay elements you disliked about Heboris/Lockjaw?

11. jujube

jujube Unregistered

let him think about it for a while.

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

1. Standardization

2. Customization -> which leads to 3. Hardcore-dization

13. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Single playerness?

14. Getting used to??? I dont think I will bother with this one, random initial orientations are just stupid, if you want to play slower be my guest [​IMG]
    Lol,
    Cant say I saw anyone breaking 150BPM barrier on tetrinet let alone 185BPM, as a matter of fact the most impressive thing I have seen out of this game is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJv2vLZ0hE4
    Which I thinks is easy matchable, if not beatable
    I play cultris?

- Jono

EDIT:

I beat it (using lockjaw) drilled 30 lines in 19 seconds [​IMG]

15. i barely have the guts to ask this, but:

is raw spead everything?

if you add a gameplay feature, that increases the games complexity, and thus slows you down, because you have to do more mental work (i.e. mentally recognising the initial (random) orientation), isnt it a new challenge that enhances the gameplay and adds comlexity?

im just asking, because random initial orientation is still in the back of my mind as a way to remove at least one difference between ARS and SRS...

sure, it will set back a bit of your speed, but it increases the mental challenge without adding anything artificial / new to the basic gameplay of tetris.

i still would vote for random initial orientations as enhancing tetris.

at least, you COULD pre-plan your moves if you have a 3 piece preview! and with initial rotation system, you could also rotate the piece the way you need it to be oriented.

my proposal is: random initial orientations are a good and fair thing for online competitive tetris, because none of either SRS or ARS players can gain any unfair ( 9months+ training for growing synapses and even axons for direct reflex pathways) advantages.

16. With 180 rotation, yes. Without it, no.

17. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Random initial orientations are even more of a gimmick in my mind than T-Spins are.

I'd sooner have 180 rotation added than have random initial orientations.

18. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i wouldn't really call that unfair. if you work hard at something you should have an advantage over people who haven't, right? besides, if a game is popular enough then no matter how good you are there will always be others around your skill level that won't let you win every game. for it to become popular in the first place it just has to be fun for everybody.

before i came to TC i remember playing caffeine one time in TDS and he destroyed me in every game. it didn't make me want to stop playing though, in fact it made me want to work harder. but at the same time there were tons of players at my skill level that i could compete with.

of course TDS gained a lot of popularity through advertising which is going to attract more players. i'd be willing to bet though if someone modeled a tetris clone after TDS with online play it would catch on very fast. it wouldn't have to have slow DAS though [​IMG]

19. @jujube: you are of course completely right!! just wanted to "stimulate" the discussion a bit [​IMG]
    as caffeine said somewhere else: tough competition is the key for a successful game!

20. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Many features increase complexity but do not make the gameplay more compelling to many players, who reject them in favor of the standard game:
    • Pentominoes or larger
    • Manipulating polycubes in 3D space (sorry, Blockout fans, but it isn't more popular than the classic tetromino game)
    • One-way rotation
    • Complete lack of DAS
    • Having to use the mouse to press movement buttons on the screen
    • Only being scored for line clears on specific rows (Tetris Worlds hotline)
    • Having 4x4 squares being worth several times more points than making 4 lines with an I tetromino (The New Tetris; Tetris Worlds square; TOD)
    • The many gimmicks of NYET III
    Unless an SRS player's strategy revolves around the Imperial Cross setup, a way of making two T-spin doubles that works in SRS (TDS, Tetris Evolution) but not in ARS.

More important than initial orientations is the randomizer. The three major randomizer families (memoryless, bag, history) have significantly different risk/reward curves.

You mean like Tetris Evolution? It's like TDS, but with fast DAS and no bonus for kick T-spins. Or is the problem still that the Xbox 360 is still three times as expensive as a DS Lite?