Tetrice Ice Tray

Thread in 'Discussion' started by iphys, 6 Dec 2008.

1. Muf

Muf

I got mine in the mail just now [​IMG]

2. "Is that an L block in my tea?" =]

3. Aha that's so sexy.

Ship me an ice block please? ^^

4. What, you don't already have the water in it and have it in the freezer? I'd love to make colourful juice cubes with that thing. So jealous.

So I wonder why there's 2 of everything except S and Z. Are those people's least favourite pieces or something? Personally, I think O is my least favourite because it's plain boring that it never changes when you rotate it.

5. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

That is pretty awesome though I prefer crushed ice. [​IMG]

Rest assured, if there is/will be a tetris themed refrigerator, I'll probably get it one day.

6. jujube

jujube Unregistered

either the designer isn't so good at tetris and couldn't get 14 pieces to fit, or they wanted to go with a standard number of cubes like 12. if it's the latter, then they could have used 3 J's and 3 S's, which of course can double as L and Z.

7. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

With the the 8x13 field of the tray and the rule of having every tetromino not touching each other (including diagonals), it would have been impossible to include two of every tetromino. There's also the idea that some tetrominoes take up more space than others due to the no touching rule. Solutions?

1. Increase size of tray.
    2. Eliminate no touching on diagonals rule.
    3. Let tetrominoes touch and make the ice tray more compact like a regular ice tray. [​IMG]

8. jujube

jujube Unregistered

true, if the empty space between the cubes has to fill whole 1x1 areas, but it wouldn't necessarily have to. hell, it's not like the tray looks like a tetris stack anyway with all those holes, so i wonder if the appearance of the arrangement of the cubes was even considered.

btw i'm starting a site called tetriceconcept.com if anyone wants to join. Digital, you'll be head tray design guy.

9. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Hurry, grab the domain before it's taken! I 've been waiting all my (Tetris) life to apply my Tetris abilities to design something. If it's ice trays, so be it.

10. jujube

jujube Unregistered

...you sound excited, but let me explain something to you. i've been waiting my entire life to discuss designs for tetris ice trays, not something tetris-related-whatever. you gotta be 100% on this.

11. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Don't you worry. I will not disappoint. Tetris ice trays are no joking matter.

12. If you were really hardcore, you could die the water before freezing it.

13. Yeah, I think 3 J/L and 3 S/Z would have been a better compromise if they insist on having a dozen ice cubes on the tray.

I did get Tetris fridge magnets from someone on ebay, but they're all on circular discs so you can't really play with them too well (not that it stops me).

14. jjdb210

jjdb210 Unregistered

shouldn't the question be... why are there 4 L and J blocks, and not 2... Because in 3d space... are S and Z the same pieces, just flipped over (something you can do in 3d space that you can't do in normal tetris...

So think about it... in 3d tetrice, you there are actually only 5 pieces, I JL, ZS, T, O (assuming you don't count all the broken pieces after getting the ice out of the tray...)

15. Udy

Udy Unregistered

The fact that this thread turned to how many pieces you could fit in the tray is perhaps the funniest thing I've seen the week. Thanks [​IMG]

16. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

though not at all unexpected.

Thanks for the find, I was wondering when this would hit. ThinkGeek has Tetris refrigerator magnets too, btw.

I do plan on hitting my workshop and making a tetris well full of pieces for shelving one day, alas, the time.

17. You can make small Tetris shaped popsicles if you used juice or soda and coordinate the popsicles with the right block color. You could use Fanta Grape as the the T-block.

18. Muf

Muf

Or antifreeze for the T block if you want ARS colours :> :> :>