"Template" SDK Skin Pack for LockJaw

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Rich Nagel, 8 Jan 2008.

1. A skin creation "SDK" of sorts, something that may help out other budding LJ "skinners" [​IMG]

From the included readme:

Code:
    This archive contains several files which are useful for creating new skins for
    version 0.41 (or newer) of Damian Yerrick's EXCELLENT "LockJaw" Tetris-styled
    tetromino game.

I have been using these files for quite some time as a base for all of the
    skins and skin packs that I have previously created and released for LockJaw,
    and am releasing my template pack to assist any other budding "LJ Skinner" with
    creating new skins for the game.

Readme -> http://tang.cmoo.com/~snor/weeds/Weeds_ ... _Skins.txt

ZIP -> http://tang.cmoo.com/~snor/weeds/Weeds_ ... _Skins.zip

Hope someone finds this useful [​IMG]

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

The pure colors 255/128/0 aren't exactly what I would have recommended. My code actually uses 255/170/0 for most of these, which fits in better with the gamma response of sRGB color. You can see this directly in the GBA/DS palette code, which uses 0's, 2's, and 3's to define most of the colors on an EGA-style 0-3 scale, then adds shadows and highlights while transforming them to a GBA/DS-style 0-31 scale.

Just curious: What are the .sel files?

I'd be willing to upgrade these to "Some rights reserved". I'll have to think about the license terms though. And we'll want to credit Nikolai Nekrasov in there somewhere (per Wikipedia).

3. Paint Shop Pro allows you to save a selection to disk, so that you can have exactly the same selected area in another image. These are those...

4. Thanks for the info, Tepples -:)

Actually, when I'm coloring LJ skin blocks from scratch, the final results rarely use those exact color values that I mentioned in the readme file. One method (actually, the main method) of colorizing that I use is Paint Shop Pro's colorizing feature, which you enter in H/S/L values that are apllied to a given image. Grayscale images colorize quite nicely in PSP, but any image can be colorized using this feature in PSP.

Although I usually use the values mentioned in the text file, the result is never as "pure" as the values themselves. Also, many times I adjust the saturation and ligtness when using PSP colorizing feature, so the result is never as bright as shown in the image included with the pack... I simply included those values to help as a starting point for getting the colors sort of close to guideline colors.

A good example of what I'm refering to are the block images included with my "Blue Ice" and "Ceramic Tiles" skins... I used the above colorizing method on the original block images that I had created, but the result isn't quite as bright or obnoxious <G> as the one shown in the BMP included with this pack.

As LA replied, those are used with Paint Shop pro... they are quite handy for placing and aligning playfield areas -:)

You know something, I totally forgot to add the in-depth copyright/license-terms text file blurb to the ZIP file that you had previously PM/sent to me when using that song in a previous skin the I released (the "GameBoy Tetris Korobeiniki.txt" included with my "Tetris Concept Wiki Skin"), sorry about that... my bad.

I'll modify the packs readme ASAP, as well as adding the afore-mentioned text file [​IMG]

5. P.S. Pack's readme modified/edited [​IMG]

(edit) P.P.S. Also modified the color values for the T-tet to be more "purpleish".