TDS Tourney?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 4 Jun 2006.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Do you guys think we could organize some sort of a Tetris DS tourney? I think the options are pretty much infinite but the basic plan would be to set up matches and allow the players to coordinate their own times to play (either here, on aim, etc).

If there's enough interest we could work out more specifics- modes, structure, etc. I know they tried this on gamefaqs but I don't think it worked out.

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Who needs tourneys when there's blockstats?

3. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

I've noticed that at close quarters, TDS wifi scores don't say much about the skill of the player. I average about 7200, I've beaten the crap out of 7400-7500's before, and had the crap beaten out of me by 6800-7000's.

I think if we did a tournament, it should be split up into light/middle/heavyweight categories.

4. jjdb210

jjdb210 Unregistered

For what it's worth, one of the features on my "To-Do" list is a way of handling tournaments, without need for actually a) meeting your opponent in game and b) worrying about what time to play a match.

The brackets and results will solely be based on things like:

1) Change in rank in x hours/days compared to tourny opponent

2) Change in wifi points in x hours/days compared to tourny opponent

3) Overall wifi rank

I'm not at all sure a tournament system that can run itself will work (at all) but I also wasn't sure that the blog feature on blockstats would work, but it seems you guys are using it, so that's great!

I'm also hoping that I can get some sort of on site scheduling thing so that we can maybe get a few 10 player matches going... but getting 10 people online can be trouble (I guess that's why the feature that's on the list before the bracket system is chat... oh wait, was that outloud?)

Idea's always welcome. I'm avoiding coding up a forum/wiki for the loan reason I don't want to compete with TC within the community.

5. Guest

Guest Unregistered

A tetris tournament would be an awesome idea....That would really show how skilled people are on this site. [​IMG]

6. i've had some experience with this type of online tournament. a few points--

heavyweight/lightweight thing won't work-- you'll need as many players as you can find. i expect at least eight would work, but 16 or more would do great.

single elimination, or you'll probably not finish it

have like a best of nineteen for each match up, the more the better.

first round of matches-- one week, second round-- next week, etc.

when players sign up, have them all members of the forum, have them leave wifi name, friends code, instant messenger, email, everything you can think of, so they can set up a match with their opponent.

if they don't play their match in time, they lose. an arbritrator would need to sort out inevitable situations.

another option would to host a tournament through mirc, and have it live, which works much faster. these see lesser participation, though.