TDS High Score Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by cosmonaut, 9 Mar 2007.

1. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

so in lieu of the nsider thread (which might still exist but i'm too lazy to find it) i was thinking some people could post their accomplishments here so i have some sort of reference point.

why don't we start with someone good? i.e. me

Marathon High Score (not endless): 1,668,000

Line Clear: 445,000

Mission Marathon: 1,292,793

Time Trial

Level 1: 40:13

Level 2: 1:07:63

Level 3: 1:08:30

Level 4: 1:26:48

Level 5: 1:40:16

those are the only ones i care about. feel free to post tower and catch scores.

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

ok cosmonaut i'm working on getting my scores up for the purpose of this thread, but one of your scores really sticks out to me...HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET 445,000 IN LINE CLEAR?! not calling you a cheater at all, just wondering. mine so far is 186,000 on 20g with a few t-spins.

3. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

BtB TSDs will accomplish that. I have 202500 without any TSDs.

I'll post my scores once I have a go at all the modes.

4. MAZINGER Z

MAZINGER Z Unregistered

it's a very good score

I only reach 262500 with some TSD and 1 or 2 TST

I guess you reach some TST to obtain this score

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

TSD is worth 1200*(L+H) points the first time and 1800*(L+H) points the next times. Assume the following ST stacking run at level 20 height 0:

1. one TSD: 12*20*100 = 24000; 23 lines remain
    2. five B2B TSDs: 12*20*150 = 36000 each; 13 lines remain
    3. one B2B tetris to reduce stack: 8*20*150 = 24000; 9 lines remain
    4. five B2B TSDs: 12*20*150 = 36000 each; goal
    24000 + 36000*5 + 24000 + 36000*5 = 408000 points, which is closer.

6. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

tspin singles are the key to getting high scores in line clear.

the points per line cleared are substantially higher than any other line clear. I dont know the points off the top of my head but it's like 20,000ish for 1 line cleared. B2B might be 25,000.

technically it's not possible to get 25 tspin singles (i think tepples or someone worked this out because the 7 piece randomizer wouldn't make exclusive tspin singles possible).

but anyway. your answer is: tspin singles.

7. jujube

jujube Unregistered

ok t-spin singles it is. amazing that in the scenario tepples created the points still weren't high enough, isn't it?

8. Actually, TSDs yield far and away the most points per line. ST stacking is the way to go, up to about 500k...getting any higher requires some other sort of trick, which I haven't figured out. (I'm honestly not sure how you could have gotten such a high score without realizing that TSDs beat out TSSes...it's a really, really significant difference. One TSS is 4000 points at level 20; one TSD is 24,000.)

My top score for line clear is 489,600 (20-4), which resulted from the run tepples outlined. It shouldn't be too hard to break 500k on 20-2...since you have four fewer lines of garbage, you don't have to clear a tetris to reduce the stack.

9. In TDS, an EZ TSS on 20 is worth 4000. A regular old TSS on 20 is worth 16000 (more than a TSD /lines).

As far as I can tell, TDS follows this scoring scheme, save for the combo bits. Can someone verify the B2B stipulations, though?

10. What the crap is an EZ T-Spin?

11. i don't know how to explain it in simplist accurate terms, but it's the one that doesn't really look like a t-spin.

Code:
    X T  XT
    XTTT => XTT
    X XX  XTXX

There's EZ T-Spin Single and EZ T-Spin (Zero).

12. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

I'm not sure where this 4000 number came from.

I just did a test and on 20-5 a TSS yielded 20,000 and a b2b TSS yielded 30,000 points. That would yield 60,000 points for 2 lines -- which trumps the 40k or 45k points you get from a b2b TSD.

13. Hrm...my bad, you're completely right. I had forgotten that some TSSes score 800 points per level. (To be honest, I had figured it was a bug...weird to see that there are official guidelines backing it up.) As far as I can remember, you get 200 points/level if the "base" of the T ends up lying flat, and 800 points/level otherwise. It's odd that they don't have TSTs listed (1600 points/level). A B2B does give you 50% more points.

I would bet that TSDs still end up being better in general, though, because of the limited supply of Ts. 14 lines = 35 tetrominoes = 5 Ts. In a long game, you won't want to leave any extra garbage; here are the most appealing possibilities:

2xTetris, 4xTSS, 1xTSD = 6000 points/level

Tetris, 2xTST, TSD, 2xTSS = 6800 points/level

Tetris, TST, 3xTSD, TSS = 6800 points/level

Tetris, 5xTSD = 6800 points/level

4xTST, TSD = 7600 points/level (!)

It looks like messing around with TSSes won't gain you anything, since clearing more TSSes means that you have to clear more tetrises. It also looks like you should actually be trying to clear mostly TSTs. However, in a short game (e.g. line clear) things would be slightly different, because you do have the freedom to leave some extra garbage behind. It's very difficult to say what really happens there, because you have to choose between a high multiplier and lots of garbage, or a low multiplier and little garbage. My gut feeling is that you're better off choosing a higher multiplier and not clearing TSSes, but I can't back that up. (The math is ugly.)

Of course, this is largely moot since ST stacking is so easy, and doing anything else takes too much effort. [​IMG]

EDIT: Here's the "EZ TSS" I had tested, which I had thought to be the only example:

Code:
    T     
    TTXXX -> TXXX
    T XX   TTTXX
    The one above seems to work too, though.

14. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

I certainly didn't mean to imply one use exclusively TSS's. You definitely need to supplement them with TSD's. Just to clarifiy.

15. If I had to guess, I'd say only downward pointing Ts count for "real" t-spins. Can anyone verify?

16. "4xTST, TSD = 7600 points/level (!)"

i had speculated before that optimal strategy would be a mix of tsd and tss with tst to balance it out, which sounds like the type of organic t-spinning digital was talking about in another thread. i'm trying to be open about this stuff, but just don't expect me to like it.

17. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Wiki calls it a T-spin with kick. Verified results from Tetris DS standard marathon level 1:

• Well-known twist, flat side up ("TSD position"), 1 line: 800
    • Well-known twist, flat side down, 1 line: 800
    • Well-known twist, flat side sideways, 1 line: 800
    All the "well-known twist" style setups give 800.

18. and once again, tepples is like three years ahead of us all. nice work.

19. AFAIK the "EZ" term and implementation showed up first in Zone. It was never mentioned in DS (3-corner), iPod or TNC (3-corner no kick.)

20. I think I remember wallkicks as an option in Tetris Worlds. You could toggle "Easy Rotation" on and off. Assuming tepples has the right idea with wallkicks differentiating them, it would seem that's where the EZ comes from.

It's a pretty terrible name for them, either way.