T-Spins, TGM style

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 4 Jun 2007.

1. T-spins have easily been the most controversial change to come out of the post-TTC standardized gameplay. More than infinite spin, and more than crazy wallkicks, t-spins as we know them today directly attack the very nature of Tetris: tetrises. The t-spin has been around in some form since the dawn of Tetris... But only recently have they been explicitly recognised by the game to earn an artificial bonus. A reward so great, in fact, that they are much preferred to tetrises, taking their place as the focus of winning strategies.

I don't object to such a gameplay gimmick, per se... The New Tetris certainly emphasized building 4x4 squares more than clearing tetrises, and The Next Tetris promoted a cascade of singles. These are solid concepts and interesting diversions from standard play. My problem with the current implementation of t-spins is that they are standard play. We're not talking about a "spinoff" here. This is the new standard. Sure you can still play the old way, but if you want to play well that's simply not an option.

We've debated t-spins a million times already... So why am I making this thread? Well, I feel the need to defend the "old way" of playing. I feel it's too quickly dismissed as simple, with t-spins heralded as bringing a never before seen depth to the game. This thread is calling bullshit on that argument. I use t-spins all the time in TGM, and am fully satisfied with the natural benefits they provide.

(Examples intended to be interpreted with high speed 20G conditions.)

Code:
    |          |
    |          |
    |     []    |
    | [] [] [][][][] |
    | [][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm, by poor fortune our player has found found himself in an uncomfortable situation. Specifically, column 5 is worrysome... Pieces spawn in that column all the time, and unless something is done to fix the unstable topology there will almost certainly be a hole there. Holes in the centre are notoriously hard to clear at high speed 20G, and are generally avoided even if it means several holes on the sides.

Code:
    |          |
    |   {}{}     |
    |    {}[]    |
    | [] []{}[][][][] |
    | [][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Given an L piece, setting up for a t-spin is my preferred solution to this problem. It brings considerable stability to the screen, and it is very easy to get the L piece in place. Even if a T piece doesn't come soon enough, we have mitigated the damage to a hole in column 4 with possible further mitigation to column 3.

Code:
    |    [][][]   |
    |    [][][][][][]|
    |{}  [][][][][][][]|
    |{}   [][][][][] |
    |{}[] [][][][][][] |
    |{}[][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some standard building to the right, with a noteworthy I placement on the left. It is trivial to pass the I piece over this t-spin formation, even at high speed 20G.
    Code:
    |    [][][]   |
    |    [][][][][][]|
    |[]  [][][][][][][]|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|    [][][]   |
    |{}{}  [][][][][][]|
    |[]{}{}[][][][][][][]|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|    [][][]   |
    |[][]  [][][][][][]|
    |####################|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|    [][][]   |
    |[][]  [][][][][][]|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can even mirror the t-spin formation with a Z piece.

Code:
    |    [][][]   |
    |    [][][][][][]|
    |[]  [][][][][][][]|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|    [][][]   |
    |  {}{}[][][][][][]|
    |[]{}{}[][][][][][][]|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|    [][][]   |
    |  [][][][][][][][]|
    |####################|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|    [][][]   |
    |  [][][][][][][][]|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|{}{}  [][][]   |
    |{}{}[][][][][][][][]|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|[][]  [][][]   |
    |####################|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|[][]  [][][]   |
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or you know, whatever.

Code:
    |[][]  [][][][][][]|
    |[]   [][][][][] |
    |[][] [][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|[][]{}{}[][][][][][]|
    |[] {} [][][][][] |
    |[][]{}[][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|####################|
    |[] [] [][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|[] [] [][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    |[][][][][][][][][] |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or bail out while you're ahead.

I've found myself doing these moves and other variations fairly often recently, and I think they are pretty cool TGM-specific t-spin tricks. Distinguishing traits:

-strong benefit to survival

-primarily used to fill holes, not necessarily clearing lines

-high speed 20G-accessible flowing placement

The focus is not on clearing lines with fancy wallkicks... It's doing elegant moves that benefit survival for survival's sake. To me, restoring stability to a disordered screen with a handful of cleverly placed pieces is extremely satisfying and very dramatic. And t-spins are just a small part of the overall vocabulary TGM players improvise with.

2. Some of those later things are quite interesting. I've had the tsd-style setup in TGM a few times, and then seemed to just have a total drought of t-pieces. I'd not thought of things like that.

3. Yeah, and sometimes you'll get a T piece in a moment of weakness where 20G prevents placement in the t-spin formation, making you wait for the next T. It's good to know your options. [​IMG]

4. TGM1 especially seems to have a randomiser that also deliberately tries to screw you.

It'll never seem to give me a piece when I want it. Only when I really don't want it. Or, I'll go through a huge period of wanting it, then I'll get to a point where I change tactic and give up waiting for it, only to get it the next piece after.

5. Well, it's much MUCH better than a pure random randomizer. And because of the way the randomizer works, a piece you haven't gotten recently continues to be highly probable until you finally get it. So it's good to hold out as long as the risk remains manageable.

6. Well, yeah.

I despise the pure randomiser in N-Blox. It's so irritating to get over 4 S pieces in a row, especially when you've nowhere convenient to put them. Sort of makes you appreciate the subtleties in the randomiser employed in TGM.

7. That is so TGM1 [​IMG]

8. to be honest - i even didnt know about tspin's before i found this forum.

for me a killed line is equally worth, regardless what piece or what technique did it. sure, t-spins are cool to fill certain holes, but that really should not give more points. at least not more than a tetris, because a tetris kills more lines, and line clears are the essence of classic tetris, right?

the question is: how would you score a square building? s a 4x4 square worth a tetris? because it takes quite some thinking to put together a square? or is it worth even more? hard to decide, i think.. because those squares also not too seldom form by pure luck...

and by the way: TSPIN movements show totally unrealistic physics behaviour..

imagine a real world tetris of some kind, or a tetris with a very slow rotation animation. a tspin could never happen, because the piece would jam / collide with other cubes in the arena while trying to rotate.

but ok... thats not only true for tspins, but many other movements...

9. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i would agree if you're talking about T spin triples.
    [​IMG] yeah like L, J, S, and Z spin triples, and I spins in general (of course i'm only talking about SRS). i'm still waiting for O spin behavior to be implemented. what's the hold up on that? pretty simple really, you would create an overhang, and if there was an O shaped hole anywhere in the playing field the O would warp to it.

10. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

And make it worth and send more than a TST. [​IMG]

11. yeah... Ospin... but is it any good? sure, i am by myself a freak adding strange things to tetris (mario like jumping, pushing, gravgun) but... pieces warping over / under barriers ?!?

ah there comes another idea i had

Code:
    |          | 
    |  {}{}{}{}    | 
    |     []    | 
    |     []    | 
    |     [][]   | 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

suppose you have landed ti I piece as shown in the figure above. in the real world, if you would try to but a beam that way onto an obstacle, it would just rotate and fall. why not implement some kind of algorithm, that lets a piece slip of garbage automatically, if it is 1. not balanced and 2. can rotate+move down ?

12. I'd rather O pieces had the ability to morph into any other Tetris piece.

13. jujube

jujube Unregistered

[​IMG][​IMG] now that's an idea...

14. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

That's called "Star Sweep control".