T-Spin Recovery

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Shard, 21 Mar 2009.

1. Shard

Shard Unregistered

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Is this before or after the mid-2006 change to the guideline that abolished rewards for kick spins?

In Tetris DS, I might build from situation 1 as follows:
    Code:
    |     |  |    LL|
    |  %  |  |  %T L|
    |%%%%% % | => |%%%%%TT %L|
    |%%%%% %%%%|  |%%%%%T%%%%|
    `----------'  `----------'
    When you have an 0112 or 2110 pattern, look for ways to build a Yoshihiro stack on it.

3. Shard

Shard Unregistered

It's TDS and thanks.

4. First instance I would stack an O on the right to level it off and second instance I would stack J or S to level it off and then set up the next T-spin in the same column and eventually Tetris away the extra rows as they build up. In the first instance you could also immediately go for an easy T-spin in older games like TDS, which would set you up nicely to do another T-spin.

5. Shard

Shard Unregistered

Where should I start learning more advanced T-Spin setups? I already know the double, where you have the T-Slot and just make an overhang, and I can do a triple, but for the ones on the wiki, is there some in particular that I should learn first? like learn the Yoshihiro then the Triple cannon then the Imperial cross etc.

6. jujube

jujube Unregistered

7. Shard

Shard Unregistered

So there's not really any order to learning them? Just kinda go with what you want?

8. I don't think there's any order to learn all the T-spin methods, but if you ever plan on playing other games besides TDS, you should master all the no-kick methods since they're more universally applicable.

9. Shard

Shard Unregistered

I don't plan on playing anything other than TDS for a long time. I've watched a bunch of videos of competitive Tetris, and I only ever see the simple overhang over a T-Slot T-Spin Doubles. Are things like the Triple Triple ACTUALLY used?

10. Shard

Shard Unregistered

11. m:)

m:) Unregistered

do a triple with an L?

12. Shard

Shard Unregistered

T-Spin Triples.

13. He means level it off by clearing 3 rows with an upside-down L. If you don't want to give up your back-to-back bonus, stack an I on the left and build up 3 rows on the right.

Triples aren't used as much in battle as doubles. The overhang for a triple can leave you in danger whereas you can easily tetris away garbage if you set up for a double on top of your garbage column.

14. jujube

jujube Unregistered

15. If you're going to cover your Tetris column, you could also put a twice-rotated L in columns 1/2/3 and build something to do a T-spin single to the right to get rid of it.

Another option with stacking the I against the wall is you could setup to use Kaidan against it.

16. part of the reason why i don't suck is because i chose not to dedicate a bunch of time into learning how to do gay little t-spins, but rather to focus more on whats important like my actual block placement and stacking.

just a thought girls. take it or leave it.

17. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

You need twice the TPM to send a given amount of garbage with Tetrises as you do with T-spin doubles in TDS. This is a net win for some players even with the 3/4 second delay of a soft drop. But I'll forgive you for not noticing this because Blockbox doesn't have rated T-spin play.

18. Aside from sending more garbage for less work and being able to send more than a screen of garbage with less than a screen of ammo, T-spinning also gives you the ability to consistently use your I's and T's to do a few T-spins/tetrises within a few seconds of each other and barrage your opponent. If you rely solely on tetrises, you can only attack with your I pieces, so the best you can hope for is to have an I in the hold and get 2 I's close together and happen to have a stack 12 rows high. With the 7-piece bag and the hold slot, getting back-to-back tetrises is hardly a challenge these days, so I'm glad they added T-spinning to the game to make it more interesting.